Help me turbo guys esp with tuning!

Ford Truck Man

I have decided pickrel turbo pipes, master power t 70 turbo and that is it.

I will not buy anything until I decide if I am running maf or SD. I noticed kb zilla got scared right out of SD and is going to run maf with eec 5. If I can get it to work and get some tweecer files from someone I want to keep SD.

help me decide these also please

1. stock injectors or not
2. blow off valve mondo or tial or ??? (want the really cool sounds)
3. how can I tune this thing?

I was thinking about running about 10psi maybe 12 through a powerstroke intercooler into a stock 65mm throttle body.

I do plan to run an inline pump and of course tweecer a/f and other necessary gauges.

please build my confidence about tuning this SD and what stock parts can stay.

thanks,

mike

That intercooler is not good enough for big power, but will be fine for moderate power. By big I mean 700+. As far as SD versus MAF, nobody has made the MAF work right yet on a draw through setup. We are swapping to SD. Blow through may work though.

Jody

i dont think he is gonna get stupid with the power. it looks as though he is wanting 450hp or so. that is more than alright for a powerstroke intercooler

im really wanting to see what steve can do with tuning a sd setup with a turbo. im in the same boat as you here. the tuning is scaring me pretty good.

camcojb said:
That intercooler is not good enough for big power, but will be fine for moderate power. By big I mean 700+. As far as SD versus MAF, nobody has made the MAF work right yet on a draw through setup. We are swapping to SD. Blow through may work though.

Jody

Jody
Did you guys ever try Phil's truck without the BOV ??
Dale

Bad as L said:
Jody
Did you guys ever try Phil's truck without the BOV ??
Dale

Yes, no improvement. The problem is with the maf and the way a turbo spools down compared to a blower. The maf counts stay artificially high and the loads go up as you slow, even though you've got the throttle closed.

He has the maf translator now and will be trying that next. It eliminates the maf and I do know all the dying issues stop when you unplug the maf. Problem is you can't get a good safe tune by simply unplugging it, but this setup lets you tune as if you had a maf, but without the airflow issues caused with a real maf/turbo.

Jody

camcojb said:
As far as SD versus MAF, nobody has made the MAF work right yet on a draw through setup.

I've been running draw-through for 4 years with absolutely NO drivability issues. Lots of people here have ridden in my truck and can attest to that. Rob LaSorta, Joe Cloutier, David Wilks are/were all mass air turbo Gen 1s. Rob is running an EEC-V computer, I don't know if he's draw-through or blow-through.

Personally, for a basic setup on a Gen 1 without trying to tweak every last nth out of the tune, I'd start with an FMU and boost retard on a stock SD computer. I'd bet you can have a lot of fun just like that.

Steve Stock will be developing his turbo TwEECing abilities soon. I'm really interested to see what he can do since his goal is to not use the boost retard/FMU combo.

FMOS Racing said:
Rob is running an EEC-V computer, I don't know if he's draw-through or blow-through.

Last I heard Rob swapped from the EEC5 back to the EEC4 setup. something about his trans fried some stuff.

Its okay. I mean its fun, but my truck runs like crap at part throttle. I know I am not seeing enough fuel press, and that could be the cause of it. But it barly if not ever detonates. But i am hoping with the 42s, the inline, and the rebuild with 10 psi will make it a lot more fun. We shall see.

If not I am switching over to mass.

should I still buy a tweecer? and are stock 19's enough injector

I guess I will go with the fmu, and boost retard. I can order the pickrel pipes regardless of mass air or not. I may even order the the mass air provision piping just in case. I hope he can answer a couple of my question also. I need to call him up but I don't want to be a pain either. I will probably start sending out some money here shortly.

camcojb said:
nobody has made the MAF work right yet on a draw through setup.

Mine runs perfectly. The cold start is intermittantly a little rough, but after it warms up, you can't tell the street manners from stock - until you get into the boost. :D

FMOS Racing said:
David Wilks are/were all mass air turbo Gen 1s.

I almost threw up when you mentioned David Wilks.... anyway he never had a turbo Lightning. The white '95 belonged a guy who was a pilot for Continental airlines. David did install the turbo though.

Between the white one and mine I had the fastest stock gen1 in '95. We were going to do an article called Salt & Pepper (I had a black '94) running 13.10s with Texas Turbo heads and mild cam short tube headers with MAF conversion. Well it sounded stock :rolleyes: and went through tech that way. All that matters in '95 I got the #1 trophy.

Needless to say I was screwed by David and without opening up old wounds etc. enough said about that.

By the way I'm running MAF and not having any problems with dying issues on my Gen2. The street manners are great.

Patrick from PSI Motorsports did the tuning, install etc.

jarmstro said:
I almost threw up when you mentioned David Wilks.... anyway he never had a turbo Lightning. The white '95 belonged a guy who was a pilot for Continental airlines. David did install the turbo though.

Between the white one and mine I had the fastest stock gen1 in '95. We were going to do an article called Salt & Pepper (I had a black '94) running 13.10s with Texas Turbo heads and mild cam short tube headers with MAF conversion. Well it sounded stock :rolleyes: and went through tech that way. All that matters in '95 I got the #1 trophy.

Needless to say I was screwed by David and without opening up old wounds etc. enough said about that.

By the way I'm running MAF and not having any problems with dying issues on my Gen2. The street manners are great.

Patrick from PSI Motorsports did the tuning, install etc.

Blow through or draw through? If draw through, got any pics?

Jody

Jimmy Lightning said:
Mine runs perfectly. The cold start is intermittantly a little rough, but after it warms up, you can't tell the street manners from stock - until you get into the boost. :D

Same question as above, blow through or draw through? Pics if draw through?

Jody

That Gen 1 setup has a lot more distance between the maf and the turbo, probably twice as much. That may be the issue with the Gen 2 kit. Thanks for the pics, but I still have not seen a draw through Gen 2 setup that doesn't experience this issue. Not saying there isn't one, but I haven't found it. Several tuners have tried including SCT themselves and haven't eliminated the stalling 100%.

Jody

Did any of those Gen 2s have the little return air tube from the BOV back to between the turbo and the MAF meter?

Mine looks like this:

http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211712&page=2&pp=15

Except we have a longer tube from the turbo side to the opening to the fender. The other change was we added the biggest blowoff valve that Vortec has right at the bottom throttle body with a 1 5/8" tube going into the 4 inch stainless steel diesel exhaust pipe enter just behind the mass meter.

Sorry I don't have pictures but the short story about this we moved blowoff exit as far away from the turbine as possible. This solved our dying and drivability problems.

Now explain to me the difference of blow through & draw through.

P.S.

The short pipe in the picture between the turbo housing and MAF is from my diesel when I went to a 4 inch exhaust.

Last edited:
John, Blow through meter is where the meter is between the compressor and the throttle body. Draw through is where the MAF is before the inlet of the turbo like most of us have it setup.

Back