Heads

R

Ruslow

Just purchased a 99 lightning, am thinking of installing a set of 4 valve hds either off of a 2000 Navigator or Cobra, have ability to make front covers and some other things but need info on intake spacing and if alt will have plenty of room? Plus someone to help with computer cal.Or info on how to access helix code of computer.

Sean Hyland did a DOHC swap on a 5.4 in a 97 truck a couple of years ago....he used the Cobra front cover, intake (with a secondary valve delete) and heads. He would be the guy to contact on specifics.

Kyle Kent
House of Speed

Hey Guys,
My knowledge is limited so bear with me while I ask this question. The thought of using the 4 valve heads is running around in my head, but I don't understand why the cobra is so weak if these heads are so great.
I also wonder if we might make some good gains by increasing the size of the radiator for the intercooler in the front of the truck thereby dropping the temp.on the intake. That looks like a low cost change that might work well.
Thanks for your advise,
Alvin

The reason the cobra is so weak is the cams that they run also the sec air valve assm[ which was deleted in 99] I plan on using the heads off Nav. since they dont have the air valve assm and I hope the timing covers slip on also they are coil on plug design too. Have a friend at ford cking for some warranty hds now so hope to find out soon.

Alvin:
You need to first see what the temp of the water is. From there how much differance between air temp and intercooler water temp. I'm thinking that it is not far from each other. But if it is way off then, yes a bigger intercooler should help. You then could have a chip burned with a lot more timing in it.

Ruslow:
The biggest reason that the L does not come with 4v, is that it does not fit under a factory hood. I think someone said it's like a 1.5-2 inch taller.
My thinking is to have the stock head ported, increase the valve size. This would be much less money and done right should bring a 35-50hp gain. With a good blower grind cam, 50-75hp total gain. This with other little mods would put you around the 475- 500hp mark. I don't know the limit on the bottom end, but would not want to go any higher than this on stock powdered rods.

Jigawatt....a cam and head swap should be worth well more than 75. An NA LS1 I worked up a combo for recently picked up 130 with bigger valves, port work and an ECM friendly cam (112 LSA). So the Lightning has at least that much potential....I think that the cams will be what hold the truck (and mod motored cars) back for awhile. Don't get me wrong....Mihovitz at Accufab has his 93 Stang thumpin' with a mod motor, but that is all about cubic dollars. As for the PM rods....they will handle more than 500, been there. Later.

Kyle Kent
House of Speed

Back