GT42-76 Special from Polk Performance

Frank5L

1.37 60' on Drag Radials
Polk called me and asked me to post this for him.

Garrett GT42-76 Turbo.

T4 base with 1.01, 1.15, 1.28, or 1.44 hotside

$1200

Free shipping to lower 48 states
Free 3" discharge V-band ($134 value)
Free Large frame drain back flange ($29 value)

This is JUST the TURBO and the components listed, not a kit.

I know alot of you are "DIY"ing kits, and this is an INCREDIBLE turbo to run, Stock block or built motor.

This turbo is making 1200WHP in some applications!

With a 100% stock longblock at 23psi my truck made 738RWHP/795RWTQ with this turbo. It is also the same turbo that the Polk Performance kit is going to include!

You can PM me for more info, to order call 501-315-7223 and talk to Don.

man i wish i wasnt poor. so frank, what are you planning to run on the new motor?

lol... ouch, bigger turbo... must resist.

I thought the PT76 was able to support 1100hp.
Why did you swap to this one? Does it allow boost to come in sooner? What's different?

airtroop01 said:
lol... ouch, bigger turbo... must resist.

I thought the PT76 was able to support 1100hp.
Why did you swap to this one? Does it allow boost to come in sooner? What's different?

cheaper and it supports a lil more power

Spools quicker, supports more HP, and a little less expensive. I wish I had my two dyno graph overlayed...

Frank5L said:
I wish I had my two dyno graph overlayed...

not quite a fair compairson though is it....didn't you have a 4inch downpipe with the 738rwhp and a 3 or 3.5" with the 76gtsh...i think Sal proved the 76gtsh CAN make the power the GT42 can with the correct size downpipe. the GT42 is at retail$280 cheaper and only rated 50 motor hp more.

The .96 hotside was the problem IMO. Combined with my hotside setup, and the completely stock motor, I dont think the 76GTSH was going to make much more HP, even with a 4" DP

I did have a 4" DP on the GT42.

Do you have experience with both turbos? You probably know that the GT42 is very conservatively rated at 50hp more than the 76GTSH.

Didn't believe it would make much more power? Sal made another 100rwhp with a 4" dp and he was making the same numbers as u with the gt42 with a 3" dp. You are comparing apples to oranges there.

I actually DO have experience with both turbos. I had a GT42 on a sb chevy 408. The GT42 is actually made for a larger cube motor than the lighting but with the correct "turbine setup" i guess u could say, it does work with the lighting. I still believe that if you had the 76gtsh you with a 4"dp u would have liked it better and tought it spooled quicker. It is actually a newer setup.
Frank5L said:
The .96 hotside was the problem IMO. Combined with my hotside setup, and the completely stock motor, I dont think the 76GTSH was going to make much more HP, even with a 4" DP

I did have a 4" DP on the GT42.

Do you have experience with both turbos? You probably know that the GT42 is very conservatively rated at 50hp more than the 76GTSH.

MonkeysL said:
Didn't believe it would make much more power? Sal made another 100rwhp with a 4" dp and he was making the same numbers as u with the gt42 with a 3" dp. You are comparing apples to oranges there.

I actually DO have experience with both turbos. I had a GT42 on a sb chevy 408. The GT42 is actually made for a larger cube motor than the lighting but with the correct "turbine setup" i guess u could say, it does work with the lighting. I still believe that if you had the 76gtsh you with a 4"dp u would have liked it better and tought it spooled quicker. It is actually a newer setup.

Sal picked up ~70HP. And I believe the 4" DP did allow him to run more boost and continue making some HP, but again the .96 Turbine housing will choke the motor.

The Garrett GT turbos have quite a few less parts enabling them to spool quicker.

To the turbo, the Lightning is unique because it acts like a larger cube motor because of the length of the stroke.

Sal also had a built motor, and ran 23psi boost. I said on my setup the GT42 was alot better. Turbos are not one size fits all, but I'll reccomend the GT42 to anybody in the market with a lightning.

Oh and one other thing, I'm not necissarily KNOCKING Sal's truck, but what numbers has it run with the turbo? Not Dyno numbers.

Fellas,

The GT 42 has the exact same exhaust wheel as the 76gts but it does have a smaller compressor wheel, i believe a 74.5 or 6 something like that.

The GT 42 will not spool faster unless it has a .96 exhast A/R

Whats nice about the GT-42 is that it does have more options with the exhaust housings.

By the way there is a company called forced inductions.com that can swap out the wheels in the 42 with a 76mm comp wheel
and a 80,82,88 wheel. Which will allow it to make alot more power.

The only reason the 42 can make more power is because of the larger A/R's flowing more air.

Frank, it hasnt run anything substantial as of this time yet. The trucks had some teething pains I have been taking care of them as I can. Anyone who saw and heard it run it run at L fest probably could tell.
I have found the source of its running issues and now need to restall the converter.
Have had other more urgent things on my plate but soon that PSP beast will shine.

GT turbos have less parts than the older bretheren T turbos (32 I think), but the precision GTSH and the Garrett GT are the same turbos, essentially. The GT42R will kill the PT76 as far as spool up, but that's comparing a 360 deg race bearing to a dual SS ball bearing.

it would be interesting to compare the 4" and a 3" exhaust of the two turbos, since turbos absolutely hate backpressure. I think that you'd see pretty much identical #'s, with the GT turbo edging out the PT by a fraction of HP.

spambell said:
Fellas,

The GT 42 has the exact same exhaust wheel as the 76gts but it does have a smaller compressor wheel, i believe a 74.5 or 6 something like that.

Whats nice about the GT-42 is that it does have more options with the exhaust housings.

By the way there is a company called forced inductions.com that can swap out the wheels in the 42 with a 76mm comp wheel
and a 80,82,88 wheel. Which will allow it to make alot more power.

The only reason the 42 can make more power is because of the larger A/R's flowing more air.

As stated by spam, the 76GTS and GT42-76 are the same down to the part #'s on the compressor and turbine wheels. Only difference is housing sizes. As for forcedinductions.com they have a SxxT load of different wheels and new designs. Their GT42-80 has made 1140+rwhp on a 347 LS1 on turbomustangs.com. Also if you want tons of info on different turbos and upgrades call them. I am having an S510G from Schwitzer upgraded by them. Should be the next turbo that alot of people will run in drag radial classes. They have full machining and balancing equipment so its done right.

spambell said:
Fellas,

The GT42 that Frank is referring to here is the one with the 76mm compressor wheel upgrade as it comes from Precision Turbo. Yes, from Garrett it does come with 70.5 or 74mm compressor wheels.

A smaller housing will usually allow a turbo to spool up faster, but not always. When an engine is so choked up by the turbo, it will sometimes actually spool quicker by the bigger housing. Also, the Garrett 1.01 is a divided housing whereas the PTE .96 is a single throat. I haven't done back to back testing, but the feedback I've gotten is that the single throat .96 will outflow the divided 1.01.

- Brian

Turbodiesel said:
Should be the next turbo that alot of people will run in drag radial classes. They have full machining and balancing equipment so its done right.

Which drag radial classes will those be? I know many guys that run drag radial and their combos and NONE of them would want to run that combination as their car would go much slower.:rolleyes:

gasguzzler said:
Which drag radial classes will those be? I know many guys that run drag radial and their combos and NONE of them would want to run that combination as their car would go much slower.:rolleyes:

NMRA DR. The guys in that class are running the GT47's, they are way behind the blower cars in mph. Why wouldn't they want to run something to at least make them go faster. Call the guys at forcedinductions, they work with alot of them and others and probably can tell you alot more.

Back