Gale Banks dynos a Gen1

core-rider

Paid NLOC Member
I Support the NLOC
So I was flipping through YouTube and came across this video of Gale Banks running a Gen1 with the Ford Motorsports supercharger on a dyno... the results were quite disappointing! Most of the video has nothing to do with the Lightning itself, but has some cool sport truck history and stories.

It’s a clean looking truck... until about 17 minutes in and the camera angle changes... I’m not sure “orange peel” is a proper description!

Anyway onto the video...

https://youtu.be/S_kIflj5Hrg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My truck was the prototype truck for powerdyne. A little history first. In November 93 I bought my truck with the intention of having it made into a super cab after having read a few articles about it. Had it done in 94 along with working with bassani on the headers and exhaust. I was also the second person to get the mass air conversion after reading about that in a magazine also. They sent it to me minus a computer and that caused us a lot of problems because we were getting ready to take the truck to the SEMA show with Ford and had to find one in a hurry. There was a shop that worked on a lot of Mustangs out by the West Coast and they brought a box full of them and we finally found the one that would work the night before the truck had to go to Las Vegas. Had the truck on display in front of the convention center throughout the SEMA show. Following year I contacted a couple companies about doing a blower and nobody wanted to but after I told powerdyne that I had a couple of magazines that were going to do articles on the truck they agreed to do it plus Ford wanted to have it back at the SEMA show again after it was done. As soon as the people from Ford saw it they immediately ordered one to be sent to powerdyne to have it installed so they could do durability testing with it and that is why it ended up in their catalog. As far as I know mine is the only one that has a spring loaded tensioner for it. After mine was done they used an idler pulley setup. If I remember correctly after I had the thing tuned it dynoed at 312 horsepower and four hundred and something foot pounds of torque at the wheels. I would have to try and find my old Dyno sheets. I have since had the blower rebuilt with a different impeller and smaller pulley so it should put out somewheres around 12 pounds of boost now. I think I need to get larger injectors and a new tune before I take it back to the dyno. The truck has been in six magazines with three of them Tech articles. I believe the first one was covering the install of the headers the second one was about the install of the mass air and the third one was an install article about a Jacob's ignition that I installed early in the morning at the SEMA show.

Roy

I watched it a few months ago. A simple Powerdyne Supercharger got my truck running from low to mid 15’s to high 13’s on a completely stock engine. Made the truck much more enjoyable to drive overall too.

Roy, do you have pictures of the truck at Sema? This is a great story of the beginning of lightning performance parts.

I’d like to see the articles! Is there a link to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched that a little while back and though ol' Gale shoulda smacked him for all the interruptions!!

My truck was the prototype truck for powerdyne. A little history first. In November 93 I bought my truck with the intention of having it made into a super cab after having read a few articles about it. Had it done in 94 along with working with bassani on the headers and exhaust. I was also the second person to get the mass air conversion after reading about that in a magazine also. They sent it to me minus a computer and that caused us a lot of problems because we were getting ready to take the truck to the SEMA show with Ford and had to find one in a hurry. There was a shop that worked on a lot of Mustangs out by the West Coast and they brought a box full of them and we finally found the one that would work the night before the truck had to go to Las Vegas. Had the truck on display in front of the convention center throughout the SEMA show. Following year I contacted a couple companies about doing a blower and nobody wanted to but after I told powerdyne that I had a couple of magazines that were going to do articles on the truck they agreed to do it plus Ford wanted to have it back at the SEMA show again after it was done. As soon as the people from Ford saw it they immediately ordered one to be sent to powerdyne to have it installed so they could do durability testing with it and that is why it ended up in their catalog. As far as I know mine is the only one that has a spring loaded tensioner for it. After mine was done they used an idler pulley setup. If I remember correctly after I had the thing tuned it dynoed at 312 horsepower and four hundred and something foot pounds of torque at the wheels. I would have to try and find my old Dyno sheets. I have since had the blower rebuilt with a different impeller and smaller pulley so it should put out somewheres around 12 pounds of boost now. I think I need to get larger injectors and a new tune before I take it back to the dyno. The truck has been in six magazines with three of them Tech articles. I believe the first one was covering the install of the headers the second one was about the install of the mass air and the third one was an install article about a Jacob's ignition that I installed early in the morning at the SEMA show.

Roy

That's so cool! I love this kind of info, thank you for sharing. I need to set up a section in the forum and do interviews so we can keep this info forever.

Hi Jamie, I do have some pictures of the truck at the SEMA show from both both years I believe. I will have to look for them. As for the magazines I think some of the pages from them have already been posted but I can't remember for sure. I probably have five thousand magazines here I will try to go through and see if I can find the six of them and try to take pictures and post them. If you Google Hot Rod Magazine December 1999 you can see my Mustang on the cover also.

Roy

Trying to see if I can add a picture of my car and if I can then I can post pictures from the Articles when I find them. And one of my other forums this won't work from my phone.

Attachments

• 23706.jpeg
    23706.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 8436343317_6a246207ce-1.jpg
    8436343317_6a246207ce-1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 23
Back