Front tire wear

Mark2378

I am new to the NLOC and have a question that I am hoping another member can answer. I just noticed that the front tires (Goodyear F1's) on my L have been worn all the way to the cords on the inner 1.5 inches of the tread. I had the tires rotated 2,200 miles ago. I check the air pressure weekly (keep 33-34 psi). the tread depth is aproximately 1/2 inch across the balance of the tires(another 3k of rubber). The tires on the rear do not have any similar wear. The L does not handle any differently than it did before the rotation. I am taking it to the shop on April 16th and hoped that I had would be able to tell them what to check (besides the alignment). I have heard of loose bolts and bad ball joints, but I would like to be sure everything is checked (and corrected) before investing in another set of tires. Any help I can get would be much appreciated.

p.s. Thank you Lightningsteed for the site address. It has been awile since you gave it to me, but I finally made it here.

I forgot to mention that this is my third set of Goodyears and the other two wore perfectly all the way to the wear-bars (aprox. 16k miles each time).

I just seen your post, first off Welcome to NLOC, check out www.socalloc.com.

As far as your question, Id say alignment. If the 1.5 inch wear on the inside of the tire is even around the tire id say it's camber, tilt from top to bottom. What did the shop tell you?

Do you have any mods on you truck?

Thank you for the "Welcome". I wish I had signed up earlier, as it has been a real learning experience. I am overwhelmed with all the knowledge a L enthusiats can find here.
The wear was consistent around the tires. The local Ford dealer did an alignment and I can notice a definite difference in how the L tracks on the road - much less input needed to keep it straight. A couple mechanics and the alignment tech at the dealer have Lightnings, so he said he knew what to look for (clunk washer and loose/worn parts). From what i can tell of the spec sheet, the toe was out (but still within spec-go figure) The problem seems to be fixed for now. I have ordered the replacement "clunk washers" (from david lynn) for the lower control arm as a precaution- I do not like replacing tires with 30% tread remaining! Once I get them installed, another alignment and 4 new tires and I should be good to go. I am running completely stock so I am hoping it was the washer problem. And I made a note to check the tires for wear every weekend when I check the pressures. This has turned out to be another expensive mistake.

I did order the Nitto 555 in stock size. I will put my in my 2 cents about the wear compared to the Goodyears in a couple years.

Have a good one.

Did you ever get it fixed? Are you still on NLOC? Have you done any mods yet or plan to?

Ryan

Back