Frame reinforcment (over axle)

Stripping my frame bare to paint and install the lowering kit. Well the factory plates are basically completely gone. Are they still available?

I'm not sure about the plates but if yours are rusted away I'd hate to see the frame behind them and the shock mounts.

Don't think your gonna find any actual Ford parts but, I had the same issue and here is what I did....also squared the frame and welded all the crossmembers top and bottom, 20+ year old rivets get loose.

I have the same problem. What size plate did you use to repair it and did you weld it completely out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I don't really remember, it was 1/8 or 3/16 wanna say 3/16 I know it wasn't 1/4. The top and bottom of the frame was welded in 2 or 3 inch long sections leaving a little gap to hopefully drain anything that gets behind.
I have the same problem. What size plate did you use to repair it and did you weld it completely out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
I've heard of guys removing the plates and not replacing them with anything with no ill effect. I just didn't want to do that.

Don't think your gonna find any actual Ford parts but, I had the same issue and here is what I did....also squared the frame and welded all the crossmembers top and bottom, 20+ year old rivets get loose.

Looking very nice Adam. You need to do a build thread so we can see the rest. :tu

Yea, can't post many pics before you use up all your space. Everything is a bit further along then when the above pic was taken. I almost have a whole truck again.
He has one but all the pictures are gone. Search "Adam's Build"

i pulled the factory plate off when i notched my frame to find that it was all paper thin rust underneath. Cleaned it up and peremeter welded the c-notch plate and then had a custom shop cut two pieces of 1/4 plate that i formed to the outside of the frame and perimeter welded. you wouldn't want to use a factory plate even if they were available if you saw how easy it was to cut through one with an air hammer. not sure what pot metal/iron conglomerate they used for that plate but it sliced like cheese.

i pulled the factory plate off when i notched my frame to find that it was all paper thin rust underneath. Cleaned it up and peremeter welded the c-notch plate and then had a custom shop cut two pieces of 1/4 plate that i formed to the outside of the frame and perimeter welded. you wouldn't want to use a factory plate even if they were available if you saw how easy it was to cut through one with an air hammer. not sure what pot metal/iron conglomerate they used for that plate but it sliced like cheese.

Holey Moley look who's back! Where ya been hiding, Coop?

There's no point welding a 0.25" plate to a frame that's 0.146" or 0.17" thick - you might as well use 1" plate.

For any drilling, welding, or bolting to the frame, follow Ford's guidelines in this diagram's caption, or at the link in it:

Back