Foxbody tensioner... works good!

slow94

Will a alternator/tensioner bracket for a 5.0 foxbody work/line up with our other accessories? It appears that their tensioner is of a better design. I can't stand our stock tensioners anymore. They simply don't work well once you start making power. Looking for other options that may work better.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I have a 91 foxbody 5.0 with all accessories still mounted on a stand. I'll take a look and some pics for ya.

I use one of the aftermarket 5.0 alternator mounts with the heim joints on the red truck. It requires a Mustang alternator.

I think once you're past a particular power level, the acceleration of the motor puts so much load on the belt that the tensioner bends. After bending three and throwing belts regularly, I gave up. No issues since I switched other than having to tighten things up occasionally.

I use one of the aftermarket 5.0 alternator mounts with the heim joints on the red truck. It requires a Mustang alternator.

I think once you're past a particular power level, the acceleration of the motor puts so much load on the belt that the tensioner bends. After bending three and throwing belts regularly, I gave up. No issues since I switched other than having to tighten things up occasionally.
You are 100% right. I have bent a few of the bolts and the tensioner body itself has bent. Then the belt wants to start tracking outward and throws it. I think past 600 or so HP the engine raps up too quickly for the tensioner to handle. I ordered a stock foxbody alternator bracket and tensioner. I'm assuming it must fit or at least be very close. If you think about it, it has to line up to the crank pulley and it isn't uncommon for us to use the renegade blower crank pulley for a mustang and we don't have issues with alignment. Hopefully the fox tensioner is a little better.

Will a alternator/tensioner bracket for a 5.0 foxbody work/line up with our other accessories? It appears that their tensioner is of a better design. I can't stand our stock tensioners anymore. They simply don't work well once you start making power. Looking for other options that may work better.

from what I remember they do fit, only thing is with the difference in deck height of the two engines I don't believe the A/C compressor fits.

from what I remember they do fit, only thing is with the difference in deck height of the two engines I don't believe the A/C compressor fits.
Good deal. I just want it to line up correctly to rest of accessories. The fox tensioner looks to be a little better design as well. We will see I guess. Tired of dealing with belt issues.

Update... It absolutely works and my belt has never tracked this straight. This is a far superior design than the hot garbage that comes on our trucks stock. The foxbody tensioner has a stronger spring on it too. Plus side it gave me a little more clearance from the belt to the upper radiator hose too. Attaching a quick video of it idling.

Slow94 - did you replace the alt with a mustang one? When I started throwing my belt last summer and think it's a bent tensioner as well.

Slow94 - did you replace the alt with a mustang one? When I started throwing my belt last summer and think it's a bent tensioner as well.
Yep I picked up a 200 amp 3g alternator for a foxbody. It basically puts the alternator in same spot as our stock one so no real change. The tensioner itself is a much better design and I don't forsee being able to actually hurt the tensioner now.

What belt length did you settle on and are you stock pulleys?

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

What belt length did you settle on and are you stock pulleys?

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
Stock size pulleys include the crank, A/C, and power steering. Using a foxbody water pump pulley and I believe the alternator pulley is 2" but I will need to verify that. Don't have a smog pump in place and the delete pulley I had for it sits crooked so I am completely bypassing that all together. Belt size is 91" I believe. I will verify that too because I bought like 6 to make sure I had the right one.

I like this. Thanks for sharing. If i have anymore problems this is what im gonna do next. I bent several tensioner bolts too and ended up replacing my alternator bracket with one from a lower mileage/unmoddified truck with a new motorcraft tensioner and have been good now for a few years. Im around 300-350hp at the wheels.

Hmmmm... I was about to fab up a small brace for my Novi headunit and tie it to my stock alternator bracket. But reading this, I wonder if i should hold off and maybe copy the foxbody bracket and then address this brace later. Is this problem that common?

Also the 87-91 F-150 alternator brackets had a similar style tensioner as the foxbody. Would one be better than the other? or are they the same bracket?

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 18
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 18
Yep I picked up a 200 amp 3g alternator for a foxbody. It basically puts the alternator in same spot as our stock one so no real change. The tensioner itself is a much better design and I don't forsee being able to actually hurt the tensioner now.

i have questions! what alternator P/n did you end up with (large frame 3g?,1-wire?)? Did you have to clearance the bracket to fit it? did you have to clock the case for the plug location?

Hmmmm... I was about to fab up a small brace for my Novi headunit and tie it to my stock alternator bracket. But reading this, I wonder if i should hold off and maybe copy the foxbody bracket and then address this brace later. Is this problem that common?

Also the 87-91 F-150 alternator brackets had a similar style tensioner as the foxbody. Would one be better than the other? or are they the same bracket?
I saw that bracket but decided on the foxbody one as it appeared a little different. I bet either would work, but in my head I figured a foxbody was designed to be more performance oriented and if something broke I could easily find a part at local parts store.

i have questions! what alternator P/n did you end up with (large frame 3g?,1-wire?)? Did you have to clearance the bracket to fit it? did you have to clock the case for the plug location?
This is what I bought: 200A 3G Alternator (1619HO) built by PA Performance. I didn't have to do a single thing. Just install new bracket/tensioner with new alternator and plug everything back up. I swapped out the tensioner pulley with one of the billet ones I had already but that's not needed. I was tired of bending tensioner bolts.

I too have bent many factory tensioners. I may go this route too. How was the heater hose routing? Was it the same or different?

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

LMR looks like they sell everything. Bracket, tensioner, alternator options and fasteners

I too have bent many factory tensioners. I may go this route too. How was the heater hose routing? Was it the same or different?

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk
Well it didn't affect me as I have the heater core bypassed and I re-routed those lines a while back. Think I have some pics on here somewhere with how I did them but I can get you some if you wanted. However I will say there is almost no difference in alternator location so a stock style set up should be just fine.

LMR looks like they sell everything. Bracket, tensioner, alternator options and fasteners
Indeed. I got the bracket, tensioner, and fasteners from them. However I decided to use PA performance for the alternator. I'm sure can get everything from LMR no problem.

Back