FORD 5.4 Aluminum Block

REDSVT150

MADMAN
Jim,

What type of modifications are required to put the FORD racing 5.4 aluminum block into the Lightning?

Brad

Well you need a new motor mount, driver side. Also the oil cooler adapter is different as well. Besides that its a direct drop in.

JimIII

JimIII@JDM said:
Well you need a new motor mount, driver side. Also the oil cooler adapter is different as well. Besides that its a direct drop in.

JimIII

Where can these parts be procured from? The reason I ask is that I had seen where JDM built 2 aluminum block motors. I am in the process of pulling my motor again and thought about this upgrade. Does JDM build a aluminum SB? I already have JDM heads w/cams.

Last edited:
REDSVT150 said:
Where can these parts be procured from? The reason I ask is that I had seen where JDM built 2 aluminum block motors. I am in the process of pulling my motor again and thought about this upgrade. Does JDM build a aluminum SB? I already have JDM heads w/cams.

We do build these engines they run $6995 and are on a 4 week wait time. The motor mount and adapter we have but Im not sure on pricing if you want to, call the shop and Ill find out for you!

JimIII

REDSVT150 said:

Well I know but its actually cheap for an Aluminum Shortblock

think of all the extra cost that goes into it!

Aluminum block $2200
Machine to fit lightning accessories $1000
Custom made oil pan $600
Custom made ARP main studs $400
Crank
Rods
Pistons
Blue print and balance
Etc......

If anyone tried to do it themselves itd cost well over 8 grand to do it.

Still its definatley one bad *** block but if you cant swing it we have the new NVH shortblocks for $3695

JimIII

REDSVT150 said:
Jim,

What is NVH?

NVH is noise vibrations and harshness. Ford came up with this as a idea to keep their cars quietier, less chance for poor harmonics, and durable. So they incorporated some new standards to their vehicles. One you might already have seen is the "quiet steel" they use to build the new F150's body panels with. Also they fill in the frame structure of the newer cars with foam so that inside has less noise from the outside and road. Well one of the coolest things they did was redesign the 5.4 block to this standard as well. So simple what they did was strenghthen it with design, and added thickness to the block as well. So now we have a 5.4 block available thats exactly like the ones in our truck, but its nearly twice as thick around each cylinder wall, also its going to be a much quieter motor, our built motors are not much louder than stock to begin with. Though when combined with the NVH block they are even quieter! The new NVH block is .200"-.220" thick through each cylinder wall. The regular Lightning block is .130"-.170" now what if you were to bore the stock block out? then its even thinner! You can do that in the NVH block with no worry. All of our shortblocks come standard bore for the most thickest cylinder walls possible!

JimIII

Back