finely getting the my L going again

superdan

Well its been about a year since I pulled the old engine out so its time to drive this thing again. I found a 351 out of a 91 passenger van cheap as dirt lol. I was wondering if it'll
run as well as the stock 351? with the lightning top end of course .

If I remember correctly the older model does not have the provision for the dipstick in the side of the block like original. My question is this, if you are going to buy a used motor and then just put your top end on it, why not just rebuild what you have? I am going to bet, if you go with the used motor and your top end that you are just going to have trouble.

I originally was going with a 393 stroker and some things happened and I had to sell it the reason I want to put this in is so that it could be driven if needed its pretty hard to move a truck with no engine or trailer lol and this engine is real clean and the cylinder walls look good I haven't checked the bearings yet tho the po said it had 120k on itand ran good when pulled

You may be able to use the van oil pan....I don't remember if there was any difference. If it is that clean and you feel comfortable with it, then go with it. I would put a new oil pump, new timing chain and the L cam in it along with everything else and roll with it.

Welcome back superdan ... I've not read your name in what seems like forever.

Good to see you again.
Thanks man

And I don't have the L cam never did the original engine had a mustang cam with a chewed up lobe I plan on doing all the gaskets, new head bolts ,timing chain ,motor mounts ect.

So finally after some time I got the rebuild engine in filled it up with fluids and it has coolant coming from the passenger side header. Man I just can't win with this thing it's been one issue after the other any thoughts on what this issue is my first thought was head gasket but there isn't any coolant in the oil. Or does that even matter ?

Back