60' 1.725
330' 5.073
1/8 7.829
MPH 90.26
1000' 10.231
1/4 12.243
MPH 112.02

First trip to the strip

I finally took my Lightning to PIR Friday night. I was a little disappointed in the track conditions, very dirty and a lot of loose rubber around the water boxes. My truck ran OK, but definitely has more in it.

R/T..... .127
60'......1.907
1/8.....8.556
mph....79.64
1/4.....13.39
mph....103.63

I did 5 runs before things got crowded. My 60' times were all in the 1.90-1.95, with 4 under 1.92. I am running the 3-link setup with short 295/35X18 BFG DRs. I was going thru the lights at 5200. The short tires compute to a 4.06 ratio.

Fast Specialties did the tune, and while the truck ran OK, I think the shift points were a little low and I felt I was getting into drive, way too early. It was like driving it down the freeway. My RWHP was 400 and torque was 541.

All in all, the truck ran well. The driver?? I hadn't been on a track since 1972, so I was learning. I hope to get into the 12s with a little more work.

I didn't post the "alphabet", but 6# lower, Bassani shortie headers and mid-pipes, CAI, SCT 3 tuner, drag radials and my 3-link.

Not too bad Dan. What do you mean you were getting into drive early? You werent running with the overdrive on were you? :nono:

No, overdrive was off, it just seemed like it got out of 1st and 2nd way early, but being an idiot, I was too busy racing to watch the tach, I ran a trailered Dodge truck with a Cummins and 11.5 slicks and did a nice burnout, (just to beat his). He red-lighted, but I stayed with him, actually slightly ahead until mid-track, when his torque let him by. I just had my foot planted and went for the ride.

I'm going to Fast on Monday to go over the time slips and see if Travis has any suggestions. I don't think the short tire hurt me, as I was going thru the lights at 5200. But I wish I had paid more attention to the shift points. Before my new tuner, I had the Superchip set to shift at 5700 and it worked fine,

But the drag radials worked well. One of the reasons I was "busy" driving was that with street tires, this thing has a tendency to break lose when the truck shifts, and on the highway, it is necessary to know which way it has decided to go. But on the track, it stayed hooked up all of the way.

The next time I go, I need to have someone watch my launch to see exactly what is happening, especially on the one-two shift. I just couldn't tell with the helmet, the guy next to me, etc. But the truck was consistant, with 5 runs between 13.35 and 13.63. I only red-lighted one time, when I tried to launch at 2000 and let the truch push past the first bulb, hit a -.043 on that one. I am running basicly stock on the trans, I did have it serviced by a performance trans guy in Medford when I first got it, but I'm not sure exactly what he did. He said it wouldn't break. Works great for the street.

OK, I am a little happier with my trucks performance at PIR last Friday night. I thought the track was dirty, and it was. Because they had motorcycle racing, very little was done to the starting line, so very little traction additive was applied. With the exception of some initial sweeping, nothing was done during the time I was there, since it was a "Grudge night street event"

So, that explains my 1.90 60 times. I also found out my tuner had set my shift points at 5200 for my normal daily driver activities. So, I need to go to a good track event, where the track has had the proper prep work. I will adjust my pinion angle down 2 degrees.

Hopefully, the next time I run, I will be with some of you Washington guys so I can get some ideas as to what the truck is really doing at launch. And I'll bump the shift points up slightly, just for good measure. I think these little 5.4s can handle a little more power before they explode. I only owe on more payment, so its time for a natural disaster anyway, because thats the way I roll.

Any other suggestions are welcome. 12's would make me happy.

With a little better 60', ported blower, plenum and sbtb should get you there. Let her breath a little more. You'd have to re-tune though

Sonic HD--I want to see what it does on a clean track first. Like I said, PIR was terrible the other night, a lot of loose rubber around the water box. I talked to Fast and Travis said I could bump those shift point up 500 RPM without any issues.
So, I'll start there and see what it does, then make any changes after that. But thanks for the post. Maybe we can run down to Woodburn next spring? I'd like to watch your truck run.

For sure! Looks like Woodburn has one last T&T day Oct 10th. Not sure if I can make it that day, its my moms bday. But you can give it one more shot this season. Woodburn has their stuff together. Ive yet to hear anyone complain about their prep.

Go for it, :thumbup:
I dont plan on improving my slip till next year.
That will give me a new goal to shoot for.

haha, i figured corey would have something to say about it.

seems like a few are or will be stepping it up soon around here. can't wait to see it. :drool: all the action is on the east coast it seems.

Its goina crush some fealings when a 4 door pig jumps to number 1.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk while eating cheetos naked in a bean bag chair.

Its goina crush some fealings when a 4 door pig jumps to number 1.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk while eating cheetos naked in a bean bag chair.

If Dales truck ever makes it out of the garage..... you will be the one crying sir. And I dont think there is anything you could do to overtake that beast!

Back