Engine oil

emc2809

What oil is everyone using? I did an oil change on my truck less than 3 months ago(valvoline maxlife 10-30 synthetic blend) and I’m assuming it burned it up.. I checked for leaks and there aren’t any.. my truck is my daily driver.. so maybe I’m using the wrong oil? The truck has 170xxx miles on it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What oil is everyone using? I did an oil change on my truck less than 3 months ago(valvoline maxlife 10-30 synthetic blend) and I’m assuming it burned it up.. I checked for leaks and there aren’t any.. my truck is my daily driver.. so maybe I’m using the wrong oil? The truck has 170xxx miles on it..

Can you explain more? Burned it up?

My truck started to hesitate.. acting funny but no check engine light and no smoke or leaks of any sort.. I got home and check the oil and I was dangerously low on oil.. I added two quarts and it’s driving fine again.. I don’t know where that oil went.. maybe I’m using the wrong oil?

I use Valvoline VR1 20w50. Heavier weight because my oil press is low,because of feeding the turbo,I think! LOL.

Guessing you changed the oil because it was low? Most synthetics have a higher volatility rate, meaning they evaporate when exposed to high heat. You could just keep it topped off if you want to keep using. I also think consumption with synthetics also must have to do with it getting passed the rings and being burned, but that might not be correct.

I use Valvoline VR1 20w50. Heavier weight because my oil press is low,because of feeding the turbo,I think! LOL.

Guessing you changed the oil because it was low? Most synthetics have a higher volatility rate, meaning they evaporate when exposed to high heat. You could just keep it topped off if you want to keep using. I also think consumption with synthetics also must have to do with it getting passed the rings and being burned, but that might not be correct.

I’m not running a turbo on mine.. I heard of that happening with synthetic oil.. anyone running conventional on their truck?

Thank you gentlemen. I’ll be switching over and hopefully that does it..

Ill just add this my G1 had over 400k on it never saw anything but dead dinosaur oil from me.

And it 10/40 or 20/50 in S Tx it gets hot.

In 3 mo 2-3 qts (you said dangerously low) didnt evaporate it either went out the pcv valve and out the tail pipe or past the rings and out the tail pipe. Doesnt need to show smoke to be passing oil.

My 02 YMMV.

Shell Rotella T6 5W40

Is your truck high mileage?

I run the same with 280,000 miles doesn't use any and the rear main is just starting to leave a quarter sizes spot on the driveway.

There are several reason why I prefer it and none have to do with mileage:

* Optimal concentrations of Zn to appease our OE flat-tappet needs;

* Very nice and nearly equal if not fully equivalent flow characteristics as compared to conventional and synthetic oils in the 5W-30 and 10W-30 viscosities;

* Excellent detergent properties.

This is not marketing language ... I did a good bit of research a number of years ago and made my decision based on my findings.

I’m going with Shell for now.. don’t want to be switching back and forth so hopefully my truck likes it

Back