Engine Bogging down

Hey Sonic, Sorry for the delay, I just got a fuel pressure gage thos evening and checked the fuel pressure reading. With the ignition on (engine off) I had a reading of 9 PSI. With the engine running I had a 15 PSI.

if those readings are correct either a pump is bad...but more likely a line is split or popped off in the tank.

So do I look at replacing the fuel pump first.

I have no clue on how to tell if a line is split in the tank.

She idles fine! ????

You find out what your problem is? Mine is doing the same thing! Running really rough and no acceleration, 40 mph tops!
I know it's not the egr valve replacing the pcv tube tonight hopfully! Where it connects to the lower intake was mangled (melted or something!) Had engine light on for a while and Ford told me it was the pcv tube! never did anything about it, truck was running fine! So hopfully this is the problem! I will let you know if it fixes anything!

Hey Sonic - I couldn't get her to really bog by just hitting the accelerator in the engine compartment by myself. It stayed at 10 psi, and didn't budge regardless of how much gas I gave her. It only really bogs when you hit the accelerator inside the cabin. I'll get my buddy to come over and I'll have him hit the accelerator for me to see if we can get a different reading when it really bogs. I did get a puddle of water just below the exhaust??

Lightning00 let me know if the PCV works for ya. I'm almost to the point of giving in, and just letting the dealership fit her for an arm and a leg. If I didn't already have a daily driver I would of a month ago.

Hey Sonic - I couldn't get her to really bog by just hitting the accelerator in the engine compartment by myself. It stayed at 10 psi, and didn't budge regardless of how much gas I gave her. It only really bogs when you hit the accelerator inside the cabin. I'll get my buddy to come over and I'll have him hit the accelerator for me to see if we can get a different reading when it really bogs. I did get a puddle of water just below the exhaust??

Lightning00 let me know if the PCV works for ya. I'm almost to the point of giving in, and just letting the dealership fit her for an arm and a leg. If I didn't already have a daily driver I would of a month ago.
You are not going to get it to bog with no load on it. Hook up a manual fuel pressure gage and take it for a ride, I want to see fuel pressure when it bogs. I think you have a bad maf or fuel pump. When is the last time you replaced the fuel filter.

The manual fuel pressue gauge I bought only has a reach of about 10 inches. So driving it and getting a reading isn't really doable. I CAN get it to bog in a park position by putting my foot on the gas pedel. I just can't get the same response by manually hitting the accelerator under the hood where I can see the reading on the gauge. The fuel filter was the first thing I did after this problem started a month ago.

Fuel pump or maff would be my guess. Do you know anybody you can swap a maf with?

Unfortunately no I don't know anyone that also owns a Lightning to swap MAF's.

If anyone in the Tampa area reads this, I'll buy you lunch and gas for the trouble if I can borrow your MAF for a few minutes.

its pretty unheard of for a pump to put out 15#s at idle with no load on it....in these vehicles i mean...no offense but i wonder how accurate youre pressure readings are....

also if you get your hands on a new maf...youve got to clear the kam befofre you install it. you can just disconnect the battery. then once installed you have to drive it for awhile to reset the baro.

Situation Resolved

My fuel pump readings were correct. I gave in and took her to the dealer. Their fuel pressure readings matched my fuel pressure readings, we replaced the fuel pump - she's running fine. What a X-mas gift!

I should read these more often

dang sorry Jarhead I could had told you it was the fuel pump if I read these more often I already went thru replacing all these parts for the same reason for my 99 but at least my pump lasted till 150k.

Back