Driveshaft loop?

L

Litl Sam

I should run somewhere around 13.4. Will I need a loop? Downs Ford said they may not have any for 2 weeks to a month! That is cutting it close!

------------------
Sam Sells NLOC#617
Powerdyned
'95 #1325
13.555@101.38
feb06e4d.jpg.thumb.jpg

www.zing.com/album/?id=4293572361

I know with slicks, but I hear 13.99 or faster and I get worried. Don't want to be turned away!

Yea, yes or no on the loop with DOTs and faster than 13s.

------------------
Marcus Harrison
95Lightning
TeamPowerdyne
(AKA)Sport car killer
NLOC#495

View

Iam sure you just need a helmet for 13.99 no loop unless you have full out slicks.

Thanks JEFF, I forgot about a helmet! The track I go to doesn't require one. Would of brought it just incase but now I now that I need it.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Sam Sells NLOC#617
Powerdyned
'95 #1325
13.555@101.38
feb06e4d.jpg.thumb.jpg

What about say high 11s low 12s with DOTs???

------------------
Marcus Harrison
95Lightning
TeamPowerdyne
(AKA)Sport car killer
NLOC#495

View

Marcus,
11.99 and quicker buys you alot of things you may not want for your truck.

6 point roll bar
Snell 85 helmet or higher
SFI fire jacket
driveshaft loop
steel valve stems
SFI 5 point harness
SFI bell housing

John

If they run strict NHRA rules, the rule book states that all cars running 13.99 and quicker or running slicks need to be equiped with a driveshaft loop.

It doesn't specify DOT's but at my home track they make cars running grooved slicks (ET Streets) use loops but drag radial they don't.

I dunno...

------------------
Shane L.
Black 93
Vortech S-trim
340hp and 404ft.lbs
best ET yet: 13.52 @ 101.08 on the rev limiter
SAVING for a 99 GT, Have to stop spending $ on the L

The copy of the NHRA rules I have states that 13.99 and quicker requires a driveline loop. It does not specify tire type, just a time. This would mean that the majority of the Gen 2 trucks would not be allowed to run if they do not have a loop.
I know last year, Jeff S. ran a 13.68 with stock tirea and no loop, and nothing was said to him.
I asked Sal about this, and he said 13.99 with slicks and 12.99 with DOT tires.

I think someone needs to get a current 2001 NHRA rule book and resolve this. My book is a 1998, and I know there have been significant rule changes in the last 2 years.

John

My memory reflects what Shane said -

Any vehicle running 13.99 or faster
Any vehicle running slicks

Now in my experience, many of the tracks I've ran at have been pretty anal about the loop with slicks, but I've only been checked two or three times when running on DOTs.

One such place was Ennis in '99 (if memory serves), and they put a particular color tag on the truck for the ET that the truck was teched for (this was in my '95 truck, so I was OK for 12.00 and slower since it has a loop).

I know this post did NOTHING to resolve the question at hand.

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
President, NLOC
lsvader.gif

#74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2
#582 in '00 - 13.36@101.75 (Swanson chip ONLY)
trux.jpg

I think there are going to be alot show up without a loop that run faster than 13.99! I now have a loop anyway, but I hope one is not required for others sake. It is a universal loop that I was able to make work. I don't see why it wouldn't be NHRA legal, guess if they require a loop I will find out, if they bother to look that close.
wink.gif

------------------
Sam Sells NLOC#617
Powerdyned
'95 #1325
13.555@101.38
feb06e4d.jpg.thumb.jpg

If my memory is correct, a loop is legal if it attaches to the frame and is within a foot of the front yoke of the driveshaft. I think that's it for the requirements. There's no certification required.

Actually, I think it reads that it must encircle the driveshaft at a point no greater than 6 inches from the front u-joint.

John

So anyone make a loop for our trucks yet, besides Downs?

------------------
Chuck P
1993#3951 (24k miles, mod'ed and lots of custom parts)
NLOC#138
MiLOC#10
00 Focus ZX3
99 GT conv
91 GT (race/show car- in hibernation)

An end to speculation...

"In place of a crossmember, in the vicinity of the front universal joint, all RWD cars running 13.99 or quicker with slicks and 13.00 or quicker with street tires must have a retainer loop 360 degrees of enclosure, 1/4-inch minimum thickness and 2 inches wide, or 7/8-inch x .065-inch welded steel tubing, securely mounted and located within 6 inches of the front universal joint for support of the driveshaft in event of U-joint failure. Open drivelines passing any part of the driver's body must be completely enclosed in 1/8-inch-minimum-thickness steel plate, securely mounted to the frame or frame structure."

loop.jpg

And, on a sad and unrelated note, it currently appears that I won't be there this year. My work schedule is just too dense with too many new tasks that require some fixturing and prototyping happening about that time for me to be able to take off. Combine that with the fact that my '95 isn't ready to race and some extenuating factors, and things really don't look good at this point.
frown.gif
This will be my first miss.

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
President, NLOC
lsvader.gif

#74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2
#582 in '00 - 13.36@101.75 (Swanson chip ONLY)
trux.jpg

[This message has been edited by Jeff S (edited 04-19-2001).]

Back