drag only solid grills

I have just got done making some solid top and bottom drag only grill's that i am going to ziptie on at the track. They look all right made them out of plexyglass and spraypainted them white to match my truck. I want to see everyones pic's of there drag only grill inserts and if you noticed any differences at the track lower et or higher mph in the 1320 so post up some pictures of your drag grills. If somone wants to see my grills i just made i can't post pictures so hopefulley some one can help me out and post them for me.

SVTED makes the best units, even has an opening for the grille emblem.

DSCF0063.JPG

I dont know about blocking the lower grill I want as much air going through my intercoller what are you guys thoughts

ilaybrk said:
I dont know about blocking the lower grill I want as much air going through my intercoller what are you guys thoughts

With as much coolant as is in the system, I'm not so sure all of it gets a chance to make one "trip" through the system before the end of the 1/4 mile?

po-po 5.0 said:
With as much coolant as is in the system, I'm not so sure all of it gets a chance to make one "trip" through the system before the end of the 1/4 mile?
There isnt that much fluid in the system, and with no fans, the heat exchanger needs airflow.

Screaming01L said:
There isnt that much fluid in the system, and with no fans, the heat exchanger needs airflow.

within the 14 or less seconds it takes to make a 1/4 mile pass all the coolant in the IC system has reached "operating" temp?

yeah i have a jlp supercooler the big box so i don't think it will be a problem at all i will find out when the first test-n-tune is at cordova local track what my results are. I am goin to do one run with the grills out and another after cool down with them in and see what i get both runs with ice in the supercooler.

do you guys have like a pit crew that comes out and slaps the cover on while you're staged ? :) even if you push it through the lanes you're looking at running your truck for enough time (burnout, staging, etc) to make several circulations through the system I believe. I think a happy medium would be to have a few holes that let some air through but not enough to negate the aero effects?

Slick_Sammy said:
do you guys have like a pit crew that comes out and slaps the cover on while you're staged ? :) even if you push it through the lanes you're looking at running your truck for enough time (burnout, staging, etc) to make several circulations through the system I believe. I think a happy medium would be to have a few holes that let some air through but not enough to negate the aero effects?
You wouldn't be moving enough to have air cooling it in the lanes or burnout box anyway. Usually your t-stat is closed for the whole run anyway. Unless you are hot lapping.

i was just thinking about the effectiveness of the intercooler cooling (heat exchanger), not engine coolant. a lot of times i'm actually trying to make my motor warm while in the lanes. i usually try to get it up to 70C for consistency between rounds of bracket racing, although it gets hotter if you're in later rounds. no hotlapping for me unless its to win money :)

po-po 5.0 said:
within the 14 or less seconds it takes to make a 1/4 mile pass all the coolant in the IC system has reached "operating" temp?
You arent running a cold truck down the track, I hope. When i get to the track, I make sure the truck is fully warmed, also, the burn out and staging. For me its more like 10 seconds :3g:

And you thermostat most definately will open durring a run if you are at operating temps. I ran my old bracket car down the track and forgot to turn on the pump and by the end of the run I was close to or at 250. Thank goodness it had World iron heads on it and not aluminums :)

Last edited:
Blocking off the grills makes a significant impact on your mph. The aero advantage is well worth it.

--Joe

Back