Digitial video cameras...

T

Thundrn_Lightning

I'm going to post this to change the topic in light of today's tragedy.....and to see if I can get some advice.

I am in the market for a digital video camera for home use (and Lightning/track uses, of course.
wink.gif
). Would like to get one that doubles as a digitial still camera, and also easily spits out little .mpg clips. Looking to stay under $750 shipped to my door. Now note that I am not a techno-geek that has to have the best/latest whiz-bang camera, just something that takes nice, reliable video and still images. Main uses would be around the house, family gatherings, Lightning engine buildups, etc - nothing professional. Perhaps what I want is not on the market yet in my price range? I don't know, I'm looking for ideas.

What I have seen so far that is appearing somewhat interesting is a Sony DCR-TRV730. Looks like it has the features I want and is priced within my grasp.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

------------------
- Kevin
Black '94 #907

Coworker of mine has a Sony Mavica. I borrowed it for awhile, really nice camera. It could record movies with audio, but are usually not great resolution, and max of 20-30 seconds. But, enough for track runs
smile.gif

I'm thinkin about that TRV-730 myself. Saw it Sunday at Best Buy. Wife's buyin me one for Christmas.

------------------
Stevie-Ray
NLOC #606
2000 Red L #3460 DOB 5-31
ARE LSII
BedRug
Custom mats
Clear tails
Keypad Entry
JL Stage II Ram Air
2001 Ranger 4X4 Daily Driver
9993917.jpg

Hey, then tell me how it works out! You get it first!
wink.gif

Seriously, I don't know how you feel about purchasing things online, but a simple search of online vendors has netted prices for that thing between $628 and $1200. That's a big difference!
eek.gif
Did some checking and it did appear to be "apples to apples" as far as what was being sold. Best Buy came in at $999. But I think I will head over to there to try one out before I would purchase online. Food for thought.....might save ya a few bucks.

Brian - we've got a few of those Mavicas at work. I like 'em for a digital camera. But what I'm looking for here is more of a camcorder that can be a digital camera. The Mavica seems to be vice versa, for what it's worth.
smile.gif

Have fun,

------------------
- Kevin
Black '94 #907

My uncle just got a Fuji camera. It takes something like 90 seconds of movie I think. Takes real good pictures too. This camera has one of those chips in it though, so clearing it out would require extra chips, or constant access to a computer to download the pics/movies. If you look at www.Costco.com they have it there for $450 I think..it sells in most stores for $700+. When they got it like 2 months ago there was also a $50 rebate.

------------------
If I only had an L2..... <sigh>
http://www.remotecontrolhobby.com/
Home of NATIVE RACING INC and the BEST stock chassis, no pull start, big block conversion kit for the Traxxas T-Maxx.

Gitchi is right!!!

I have the Sony TRV730-- great camera.

It is a digital movie camera, mexapixel still camera, and up to 60-second MPEGS.

Get a 64Meg flash card for it, and you can take 200 pictures without reloading. It acts just like a disk drive to your computer when connected to a USB port

Great Camera
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

The Fuji FinePix 6800 is an awesome camera. We had one at work, used to work for a US Gov't Defense contractor, and it was sweet. Takes still photos with all kinds of different settings. Also will do video w/audio AND will do just strictly audio. Run a seach on the web. I think I saw it on a website called www.hotbuyselectronics.com/ but I'm not sure if that's the correct address. It was $599 from there. We paid $1600 for it at work but it came with a bunch of high tech microscopy stuff, too (you don't want to know the total of the other stuff). They run about $599 or so around. Shop around for the prices and try to get one to at least try it out. I guarantee you'll love it. It's a 3.3 megapixel on regular setting but you can make it go up to 6 meg if you want. With it on the regular and 3.3 megapixel with a 16 mb chip you can do a little over 90 seconds or so of video and 25 regular still pics. With like the 128 mb chip you can run almost 3 mins of video and I can't remember the number of pics. It's VERY high quality, too. Connects to your computer, on a battery recharging cradle, via USB port. Also can be used as a webcam when set in the cradle for video conferencing or whatever you want. Like I said, it's one sweet camera.

BTW, that is the link that I had seen it at once. I clicked on it to make sure.

------------------
Adam B.
1994 Red SVT Lightning #2019
gallery80.jpg

[This message has been edited by MO351 (edited 09-13-2001).]

Back