December 2009 Truck of the Month - Congrats to Jimmy "vze2c2g" Doherty ! (NLOC #2716)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skritch

December 2009 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Jimmy (vze2c2gb) Doherty ! (NLOC #2716)

From the Commonwealth of Massachusetts comes this month’s owner of Truck of the Month. While looking for a 2nd generation Lightning Jimmy came across a 1st generation Lightning for sale. He bought, fell in love with, and is now a hardcore Gen 1 guy ! Naturally, as for nearly all Lightning owners it’s hard to leave well enough alone with a Lightning so Jimmy has already started to personalize his truck with plans to further refine his Lightning into what he envisions his Lightning should be. His biggest change to date is actually a refinement having a fresh coat of red laid down over the flanks of his 1993 Lightning ! Plus, learn the story behind Jimmy’s unique screen name !!

Read on to learn more about Jimmy and his Lightning then join in the congratulations to vze2c2gb !

4137374342_c0fd783359_o.jpg

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

Growing up I always liked the looks of the Gen 2 Lightning. My cousin had purchased a 2002 True Blue Gen 2 and after that I was more determined than ever to find a good deal on a Lightning. I never even realized that the Gen 1’s existed until one day while looking at Lightning’s on the web I stumbled upon a red 1993 for sale on ebay. It was love at first sight and that truck ended up being mine after a long night of waiting and placing a final winning bid at close to 1:00 AM in the morning. I did some research after winning the truck and realized there were Gen 1 L’s produced between 1993 & 1995 that I had never even been aware of. I ended up falling in love with the looks of the Gen 1’s over the Gen 2’s and purchased my 1993 red with 100k on the clock. I am now a diehard Gen 1 owner.

4137374664_d53623be6c_o.jpg

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

This is the first and only vehicle I have ever owned but my family has a long history of Ford ownership. My dad (Jim) currently drives a 2006 Mustang V6 convertible and my mom (Paula) has a 2007 F150 Lariat 4x4. My brother (Mike) also had a 2000 Ford Taurus that he just traded in on a 2003 BMW 325i (we no longer speak with him LOL).

4136610883_23fb669b61_o.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

Crystal clear headlights, Bosh replacement fog light lenses, chrome Gen 2 replica rims with Nitto 555’s, Dodge ram center seat conversion upholstered with matching Ford fabric, Bassani exhaust, JVC head unit, Alpine door & rear speakers, Forsgate wiring, two 12 inch Forsgate subs, MTX amplifier, Sir Michaels roll pan, repainted complete truck, bed Rhino lined, Gen 2 lightning badging and LFP Gen 1 decals, Lightning windshield decal, lowered 2” with coil springs and shackles, Madramper version 1 CAI, Rebuilt engine and trans painted ford blue, Xtang-RT tonno cover, relocated spare tire.

4137374526_aa2fcd66b4_o.jpg

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

Yes, the dealer I bought it from was located in Lodi, New Jersey. My Dad and I drove down in a rental car to check it out and drove the truck back home to Massachusetts. I thought at the time that we purchased it that we would only be replacing the one missing center cap and tube bumper end caps. I now know that was wishful thinking as you all know once you start you can’t stop. My Dad also loves the truck and the NLOC site so we are both always around the forum at different times of the day and night.

4137374748_9bd3f02ec0_o.jpg

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

Well I myself have always grown up around cars and have always been a truck/car guy. I’m pretty hands on and maintain all my own toys. As I mentioned before my mother (F150) and father (Mustang) as well as my brother (Taurus) have all been Ford people. My hobbies are my toys which include ATV’s, Jet Ski and dirt bikes. I also enjoy boating in the summertime. My father shares my love of truck’s, cars and boating. I keep my L spotless inside and out.

4136610643_11e1eb5cfe_o.jpg

4136611383_265a6d8520_o.jpg

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

I have been a member since July 2008. My father and I joined the club after stumbling upon it while searching the web for parts and answers to questions we had the day after we bought the truck and decided to join the club. We originally chose to join for the great technical support but have also enjoyed the help and great ideas learned from others that are all found on the NLOC.

4137374716_cc1064b00f_o.jpg

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

Find the site very easy to use and navigate just the way it is.

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

My father chose the screen name vze2c2gb and it really has no significance. It’s just his e-mail user name that was randomly assigned by our service provider. It’s just an easy code to remember for signing into the site.

4137374822_1bb36206bb_o.jpg

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

Well first off I plan on removing the chrome bed bars and just getting plugs for the stake pockets. I also recently purchased a set of stock taillights off the NLOC classifieds that will be going on the truck to replace the crystal set I currently have. Come spring I would like to get a good combo together including a Vortech supercharger, go MAF, a set of LFP traction bars, a Punisher street VB, Converter, 5.0 cam, Bassani headers, true dual exhaust flowmaster 40’s exiting in front of the rear tire, upgraded injectors, Mark E-fan setup with struckby wiring, Keyless entry and remote start. Now I just need to hit the lottery to pay for all that.

4136611179_5b6d2e747a_o.jpg

10. Whom would you like to thank for help\donations\support for putting the truck together?

First of all my mother and father for helping out with the money to make this truck beautiful again, Dan’s Automotive service for the mechanical work that I couldn’t do myself, my uncle Freddy and all his great guys at Atlas Autobody for the paint and body work. and last but not least all the great guys & gals of the NLOC club that have helped me out with knowledge and great ideas. Thank you all.

4136611265_6ce35eda33_o.jpg

4137375004_77bfb3eaeb_o.jpg

4137374488_6d94f1792e_o.jpg

Congratulations to Jimmy and his 1993 Red Ford Lightning for Truck of the Month, December 2009 !

Last edited:
congrats jimmy! very clean L!
im from mass too, i know about 13 other L's around here. we'll have to meet up come spring time and we'll all hit a show!
btw, i cruised down to a show in shrewsbury this summer with a bunch of cars and a couple L's. i had the murdered L. was that you cruising down with us?? there was a red gen1 in the pack.

nope, wasent me there, but we shure do need to round up all the MA lightning guys come spring and find a good show

Really nice truck there. It'll look even "cleaner" with stock tail lights and without those chrome bars. Very tasteful.

well well well, look who made truck of the month! way to go man, i have been here for ages an never even made truck of the month! ...maybe because my truck has always been in pieces?:headscratch: lol ;) anyway truck looks awesome man, after reading the post i see you have come up with a pretty nice combo, if u need help dont be afraid to give me a call, i need a few MAF swaps, an i got a pile of 5.0 cams, i even still have the mark fan for you!

have a good one buddy congrats!!

danny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back