December 2008 Gen 1 Truck Of The Month – Congrats Greg ("dogman") Dix (NLOC# 619)

Status
Not open for further replies.

e9tac

December 2008 Gen 1 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Greg ("dogman") Dix (NLOC# 619).

This month's Gen 1 TOTM hails from the desert of Arizona. Greg has spent countless hours modding his truck to the 10 second beast it is today. Greg's truck not only drives to the track, but it also "works' by going on an occasional dump run, etc. Check out some of Greg's post's to see his many mods or breakthroughs--E85 tuning. Thanks for the contributions to the Lightning community over the years Greg and congrats for being December's Truck of The Month!

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

I moved to Arizona about 11 years ago, and about a year after I moved here a buddy of mine was sponsored by Ford to go to the Bondurant School. He stayed with me for the week and had to drive my Chevy pick up back and forth to the school. Well he gave me a hard time about having to drive a Chevy (I was a bow tie guy) and I told him that I wouldn’t mind having his moms lightning now that I did not have to deal with snow. Well a few weeks later I got a call from his dad and we worked out a trade, and I was infected with the disease….

os4.JPG

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

My first car was a 68 GTO I think that sealed my fate. I also had a 79 Corvette with a 400 small block that ran pretty stout as well. I had a lot of GM cars/trucks along the way, but now we are an all Ford household.

stang1.JPG

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

Show:
Well I am a little lacking in this department. I did wash it recently though...:thumbup:.

Go:
Current Combo:
412 CID Dart block 4.125 bore 3.85 stroke.
Scat forged crank
Carrillo Rods & J&E pistons
Vic Jr heads (ported)
TFS R intake (not box)
70mm T-Body
Custom roller cam
Mass-air (a9l, and c3p2)
92 mm MAF (draw through)
120lb/hr Injectors (& low imp driver)
Custom fuel system (sumped tank, magnafuel Pump -8 fead,-6 return)
Hughes E4OD
True-Track diff
Moser axles
Modified rear end to eliminate c-clips (9” ends)
Rear disk (fms explorer kit)
Novi 2000
E-bay intercooler
Flex-a-lite 295 fans
Griffin radiator 2x1.5 core
GZ evac pump
Tuned to run on E85
1 ¾ long tube headers
Custom exhaust dual 3” to single 4” over the axle and exit in stock location
PI 2800 3-disk lockup converter

Old stuff:
On my 351 I have run

Ported gt40 heads, Edelbrock rpm heads
24,42,60 lb injectors
5.0 cam
Comp “Hotrod” cam
Ported gt40 lower intake
P-dyne blower
Novi 2000 blower
Snow meth injection
Eaton posi

uh1.JPG

uh2.JPG

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

Probably not all too unique, but I love driving to the track and outrunning the trailer queens...it always has a great impact.

23042-304-29076.jpg

t07_7a.jpg

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

I am 43 I have a degree in Physics and work as a technical staff engineer at Microchip (a semiconductor manufacturing company). I am married and have 2 grown daughters, and a grand daughter. I am a do-it-yourself kind of guy (to a fault, if you ask my wife). Other than working on Lightnings I have done a lot of home improvements, remodeling, and additions to our house, have to save money so I can spend it on the Lightning.

me2.JPG

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

Joined up in 2001, and had been on the site for a while before that. I gained a lot of knowledge and felt like I wanted to contribute to the health of the site.

comp1.JPG

comp2.JPG

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

It works for me, so I don’t really have any input.

os1.JPG

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

The Guy I bought my Lightning from I had known since I had my GTO (he built the motor for it, and the Vette) and he nicknamed me Auggie Doggie. I have no idea why but it stuck. One of the variations another buddy called me was dogman, so that is how that came to be.

rb3_5.JPG

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

I would like to work on a new front suspension I have been gathering parts for, something more durable than aje, but still lighter than stock.

inside12.JPG

10. This is where you link favorite websites, your website, family pictures and add any other comments.

Obviously my wife for her support of my addiction, and Rob for giving me those needed motivational prods to get things done. And more generally the local and national Lightning folks that make owning a Lightning that much better :eek:ldtu:.

news.JPG

Congratulations to Greg Dix and his 1994 White Gen 1 Truck of the Month, December 2008!

t07_3a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to you Greg ! E-85 huh ? How's it run the quarter mile with a load of ethanol ?

Scott

Congrats!! Nice looking Lightning!! Do you have the same intercooler as Rob? If so do you have some pics of it installed?

Jamie R.
'93 Vortech'ed Lightning

I have been running the 11:50 class lately and have run 11:60’s with low boost on E85, so far I like it.. It has a bit more torque, and or as you get into load and the A/F drops it does not have the “bog” of being too fat …

I think January I will put the bar in and go for some higher boost runs…

As to the intercooler Rob has the same intercooler I have… And I have some picks in my gallery. None with the bumper off though.. I mounted it lower and did the PSD bumper mod..

Greg

And thanks to ALL for the kind words…

As to the intercooler Rob has the same intercooler I have… And I have some picks in my gallery. None with the bumper off though.. I mounted it lower and did the PSD bumper mod..

Hahaha yes! That IC was Greg's setup that I copied - he did it first! The man deserves some serious credit for his outside the box thinking and some serious skills across a wide range of topics!!! Thanks for paving the way on so many things!

Congrats Greg!

Congrats there big guy !!

DAYUM !!! What did you do to your garage ? ....... or are those pictures from a while back ? You could eat off that floor. :clinkmugs

The pic with my truck sideways is a new one, the other with Rob’s and my truck are from when it was first done..

The epoxy floor cleans up easily with simple green, the only thing I found I have to be careful with is welding, it will leave brown burnt spots, so I try to throw down a chunk of plywood… Other than that I have had it black from rear end work, even got some spray paint overspray on it and it all came up…

Greg

Great job Greg. You deserve the TOM recognition. Even if you do leave a second before the green trying to beat me :thumbup: Of couse that was when you were running low boost for the 11.50 class. Truck is looking good. I see you cleaned the hay out of the back for the pictures.

Only truck I've seen run a mid 11 second pass in 115 degree heat with hay blowing out of the bed on the first pass :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back