Dash options

Required

Paid NLOC Member
I Support the NLOC
My PSOM is having some issues, the odo started displaying hieroglyphs, speedo needle went wacky and I couldn’t shift into third. The problem is transient. I removed and inspected it but visually I can’t see anything in the caps or board. I know I can send it in and get replacements but ideally I think not having the weak link in that PSOM having anything to do with the transmission would be nice.

I talked to Steve at BlackfoxEFI so there is that option. Still wondering about the whole Tran tune and if I can just bypass that dependency without paddle shifters and other voodoo. Maybe cruise switches?

My PSOM is having some issues, the odo started displaying hieroglyphs, speedo needle went wacky and I couldn’t shift into third. The problem is transient. I removed and inspected it but visually I can’t see anything in the caps or board. I know I can send it in and get replacements but ideally I think not having the weak link in that PSOM having anything to do with the transmission would be nice.

I talked to Steve at BlackfoxEFI so there is that option. Still wondering about the whole Tran tune and if I can just bypass that dependency without paddle shifters and other voodoo. Maybe cruise switches?

I do not know what all I/O is left over or available on your PimpShift, but I believe you'd simply have to change the input signal type (and probably the input pin) in Tuner studio. IIRC the rear speed sensor is analog up to the PSOM and then the PSOM sends out a digital signal.

This thing looks like it has several options for inputs and outputs.

I plan to use this when changing tire sizes. (from what I remember, can only change it 5 times in PSOM)
Also going to look at using the speed sensor in the trans tail housing.

Mine does it occasionally, too, in the white truck, and I've had the psom rebuilt. All but one time I've had my laptop with me and put the tranmission in manual mode and drove it like that.

My intention is to put a toggle switch to put it in paddle mode and use the coast/accel buttons to up and down shift.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I had my laptop and was ready to use it. However, it was so hot my MacBook went into thermal protection and couldn’t keep up with tuner studio.

A switch and cruise coast/decel pair could be a reliable backup.

Then just a 10” or 7” display and a small raspberry pi to run TS.

I’d need to pull apart the dash anyway to send in the thing for a rebuild so while I’m in there what’s a few more wires?

Have you looked into using the coast/accel buttons. All of the cruse buttons use a common wire thru the slip rings. Need to check and see if it the same with the clock spring. I think it is, uses the same cruise module.
Using different resistance values to tell the cruise module the wanted command.
I was thinking about use them for the roll control activation. Not going to work for what I wanted.

I had my laptop and was ready to use it. However, it was so hot my MacBook went into thermal protection and couldn’t keep up with tuner studio.

A switch and cruise coast/decel pair could be a reliable backup.

Then just a 10” or 7” display and a small raspberry pi to run TS.

I’d need to pull apart the dash anyway to send in the thing for a rebuild so while I’m in there what’s a few more wires?

This is why I just went with a hall sensor on the rear end yoke. Much cleaner and consistent signal. If you're up to a setting up a raspberry pi take a look at https://www.tunerstudio.com/index.php/products/ts-dash so cool and you can still use your laptop to tune. I've played around with it and it is nice. Only thing I had yet to work out was the I/O to turn the pi on and off quickly.

This is why I just went with a hall sensor on the rear end yoke. Much cleaner and consistent signal. If you're up to a setting up a raspberry pi take a look at https://www.tunerstudio.com/index.php/products/ts-dash so cool and you can still use your laptop to tune. I've played around with it and it is nice. Only thing I had yet to work out was the I/O to turn the pi on and off quickly.
Didn’t you have to change yoke or driveline business? I think I was planning on a similar route after reading your thread but it required a change so I abandoned it without following up.

I plan on using TS dash and just attacking the boot/resume with something cool like proximity and scripting. I’m sure there is someone already doing cool stuff.

Looking at my options, I’m going to repair the PSOM to maintain accurate odometer. I liked the DD-EFI dash install I saw on here a while back, instead of replacing the dash it might make more sense for me to have an info center style instead of a full on dash replacement. At that point I could just use the touchscreen and manual mode.

Back