Copper header gaskets: WARNING!

HotRod

Motivational Speaker
Hey Dave. I have been under the hood for the last 3 hours to change the copper header gaskets over to FelPro. I had several small primary leaks that I couldnt get to seal. I talked to my man at Powered By Ford and he highly recommended going back with the FelPros. He also said thats one big reason Im having part throttle issues. The leaks are allowing air into the primaries and tainting the O2 reading. Its telling the EEC that the motor is real lean and adding more fuel. It finally adds so much fuel, it loads up the motor and then goes into CEL/Limp mode for too rich...
Anyways, I removed the coppers and took 3 pictures for you which I will Email you in a few minutes. You will easily see the blow-by on the copper on almost all ports. Mind you, these were all tightened several times over the 2 week period they were on there.

Oh, DONT think Im upset or anything about this. I ONLY wanted you to know about this issue so maybe it wont be a problem for anyone else. :tu: Im just trying to help with any info that I feel will help you and your fantastic exhaust products! So far the collector gaskets have performed PERFECT! I would keep them.

My powder coated tips will be here tomorrow (Sunday) and Ill send you pictures then. I hope they look great!:D We'll all see tomorrow!!

Well for what it's worth, I've NEVER seen them work! Mopar, ford Chevy what ever. they work AWSOME on collector. The best luck, I'v had is Mr Gasket "ULTRA SEAL" w a spray of copper seal.
W/ copper seal you can reuse them 2-3 times:tu:

Tony:cool:

Sorry about that Rod! I used my first set about 3 times before they started leaking... I thought they would seal good as long as there new? hum... Mac used to use regular type gaskets then switched to copper? I guess if I hear of this problem again I will have to include paper type gaskets and start my own little cooper recycling business on the side... ;)

Thanks for the tip! ;w

Im not sure it will make a difference. It might be worth the $16 to get a set of FelPros on there. It might save you 3 hours of doing it again...;)

Dave, did you get the pics I sent??:tu:

FelPros arent your typical paper gasket. They have a thin steel center with some type of hi-temp material over it. The part number is #1415. They work really well.:tu:

Back