Coast Clutch ????'s

'99 White Lite

First things first.. Welcome back from your vacation. I hope it went well!

Now on to business ;) My '99 L recently started making a noise from the transmission that sounded kind of like a scraping sound. A few minutes later it went away and I haven't heard it since. I didn't find any other syptoms except for the noise until I tried turning O/D off on the highway and the engine speed didn't increase. At first I thought it wasn't downshifting, but then I pushed the throttle and the RPM's came up to where they should for 3rd gear. A little internet digging later I found out that the snap ring probably came off the coast clutch drum.

So for the questions... What all may be damaged at this point? How long before I need to go into the tranny? Does your "Monster in a Box" kit address the apparent weakness in the design? If I have to replace the coast clutch, which appears to be the first thing behind the pump, do I have to dig into the rest of the transmission?

I currently have a 6+ pully and chip, and don't plan on adding power. I also don't run slicks. How strong do I need the trans. to be? Do I "need" the whole kit?

Thanks for the help.

The coast clutch is directly behind the pump and can be replaced without tearing hte tranny down any more than that BUT, if you have it out, you may as well rebuild it, honestly.

The MIAB kit comes with an upgraded coast clutch drum, so any damage you have done to it is prolly gonna be taken care of (the snap ring will likely have chewed up the drum a bit, other than that it may be okay, but any other parts you need because of it are not hard to get or terribly expensive, the ring will just fall out and set on the OD pressure plate sometimes, causing no damage at all)

The big problem right now is that every time you get it to engage in reverse is a gift, so don't park head in to a wall. It needs to be fixed, if not for that, than just for the chance the ring DOES get into something and tears it up.

Hope this helps,

G

Does the "upgraded coast clutch drum" have an upgraded snap ring groove or upgraded snap ring that won't pop off. A google search turns up many instances of the snap ring popping off. I'd hate to do all of the work going into the tranny, and then have the stupid ring pop off again 10K down the road.

A good tranny guy will know the "trick" to getting it to stay on. IT really doesn't happen much, but it does happen. The new drum does not do anything to address that, but like I said, just a good installer can fix it. THe drum does replace the plastic thrust washer with a big honking ball bearing and increase clutch surface area by 50%.

G

Back