Bronco Lightning build

Figured i might as well start a build thread for my project. I have a 91 bronco and a donor 93L that's in pretty rough shape and is only good for parts, so I'll be swapping over as much off the lightning as possible. Plans for now are the entire front clip, entire drivetrain, most of the suspension and some other odds and ends like interior parts. I've spent the last few months saving money, and buying and selling parts and now I'm showing a little progress, but will update as things get done
851133a8a607c34dd07241b850e875cd.jpg

e413698d296abb692c08927fcd128976.jpg

Couple shots of the bronco before the teardown
4a624aadb44a9a2417a5e9359eebf432.jpg

5dfc97f19b49917033aaa02388d6cc6f.jpg

There's a few of the lightning right after i picked it up
f2295dc18dce721ad551202ce14bc134.jpg

Strapped it to the chassis dyno at work, cause why not?
71c3ecf2073f9dcaeea30edbacf9c33d.jpg

Starting the bronco teardown
14c070f00b2cda960be9b8f23cced7f5.jpg

Good start on the lightning teardown
370a0f79decfe631c453d2196dbd7923.jpg

The new wheels i plan to run

This looks like it could turn out sweet!

Im one for getting the L back on the road, but that ol girl there looks like shes been rode hard and put up wet!

Yeah, it's too far gone, the frame is absolute junk, the bed is busted, and it had a salvage title, but everything is in good shape mechanically which makes it a perfect donor

Sure is, the guy i bought it from had somewhat started a thread on here because he was going to do the same thing

For the record...It's not my Bronco (although the colors match up)

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php/224244-NA-Stroker-Build-Thread-FSB

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/rkolb861/library/1990%20Bronco%20Build?sort=3&page=0

Any plans for the motor?

I'll have to check that out when i get home, tapatalk won't let me click it for some reason. I do have plans for a motor, but I'm calling that phase 2, haha. I'm gonna get it up and running with the GT40 motor for now, then take the 351 that's in my bronco and go to town on that motor. Id love to do it now but just don't have the time and cash. I work at an engine shop, so I'll be able to take the bronco motor and just work on it little by little while still being able to drive the truck with the lightning motor

Thats a good move on getting it up and running as it is. You will have loads to do as it is before you can do more to the motor.

Thats a good move on getting it up and running as it is. You will have loads to do as it is before you can do more to the motor.
Exactly, i already work 2 jobs, I'm in the air national guard one weekend a month, plus have a wife and youngster at home, so time is in short supply. I figure once it's running, swapping in a built motor shouldn't be to difficult

This is none of my business, but then again this project is getting into areas that have been somewhat deemed my territory.

I have some Qs.

Shall I ask them here, should I ask them via PM, or should I keep them to myself and simply monitor the progress of this project?

This is none of my business, but then again this project is getting into areas that have been somewhat deemed my territory.

I have some Qs.

Shall I ask them here, should I ask them via PM, or should I keep them to myself and simply monitor the progress of this project?
I'm hardly the arrogant type, I'm always down for advice. I've been turning wrenches for a while but this is my first experience with one of these trucks. Feel free to ask all you want on here if it's something someone else may benefit from one day, or shoot me a PM, either way works

I have some Qs.

I'm hardly the arrogant type, I'm always down for advice. I've been turning wrenches for a while but this is my first experience with one of these trucks. Feel free to ask all you want on here if it's something someone else may benefit from one day, or shoot me a PM, either way works
Lol... You have no idea what your in for now...

Cool build for sure..

^^^ this being an inter-generational project, which may well be a first, we really do have to do this right/correct.

... am I wrong?

Last edited:
I'm definitely expecting a few headaches along the way, i just figure I'll cross all those bridges as i come to them. I figure wiring will be the worst part, but I do a lot of electrical work at my shop, and worst case scenario, I'll put a FAST on it and hard wire everything else. I'm sure I'll be on here with plenty of questions

I'm definitely expecting a few headaches along the way, i just figure I'll cross all those bridges as i come to them.

Two pieces of advice I can offer that I learned from my projects:

1. EVERYTHING that claims to be a bolt-on is a bolt on...you just have to make it fit/work
  2. Multiply your expected cost x 3 or so...that is usually what it turns out being when you include all the little items, things you forgot, and somethings you may have to do 2 or 3 times over

Back