BRake Issues

oilwell1415 said:
Got the brakes installed on Friday. So far no chattering or noise issues at all. I had forgotten what brakes were supposed to feel like. Two thumbs up for Todd!

As for the moments of inertia.....well, I forgot. I get I for the set of 4 L wheels and tires as 190.1 lb-ft^2 and our Camaro wheels and tires at 96.8.

For the L:

KE for the linear motion = 1/2mv^2. Bypassing all the dimensional analysis and using m=5000 and v=100 ft/sec (66 mph) we get 25000000. KE of the wheels = 1/2 I&^2. & at 100 ft/sec = 42.9 rad/sec. KEW=175000, roughly .75% of the energy.

For the Camaro we get 19000000 for linear energy, 46.2 for &, and 103000 for KEW. The wheels account for about .54% of the Camaro's energy.

The proportions from car to truck are about what I expected, but I thought the truck wheels would be about 3% of the engergy and the car's wheels would be about 2% of the energy. It's amazing what you learn when you put a pencil to a problem instead of just shooting from the hip.

So in everyday *simple* terms ; what does this mean.?
Maybe a question will help ...
If we dropped 10 pounds off each Lightning wheel; what gain would we have?

It means that the energy stored in the wheels is basically a trivial amount. However, there is a flaw in my calculations because the wheels also have some inertia that is equal to about .5% of the trucks weight. If you dropped 10 lbs from each wheel you would never know the difference.

oilwell1415 said:
It means that the energy stored in the wheels is basically a trivial amount. However, there is a flaw in my calculations because the wheels also have some inertia that is equal to about .5% of the trucks weight. If you dropped 10 lbs from each wheel you would never know the difference.
That is awesome to know.
Thanks for the clarification.
:cool:
John

Just as I thought. There is nothing wrong with the Q pads. It's the rotors causing the problem. I never had a problem with the Q's when I would install them after a weekend track event after running a J or E pad. The rotor would be as shinny as a mirror from the racing pads. I know Nathan had trouble with his Q's and turned the rotors and it never came back. For some reason the Q pad does not like the surface condition of the rotors the way we were getting them from Todd.

J

oilwell1415 said:
In other words, it's measureable but irrelevant.

I put a set of Q pads in about 4 weeks ago and have not had any pulse issues. The rotors had already been used against a "D" pad I think for the last 6K miles or so.

Something with the new Rotors and Qs that don't go together, but as most have said. Once you run a race pad and go back to Qs there are no issues.

I ran Summit Point this past weekend and the brakes were worth every penny. I was running over Cobras into the braking zones. :D :D :D

Back