Brake cooling ducts

F

Flash

After speaking to Mirage Motorsports recently, I have some information to share. One, they are willing to fabricate a cooling duct for the L if the "market" can support the product. What do you guys think, could we benefit from a cooling duct. Their kit for Mustangs is priced at $99.95 in aluminum, complete with all hardware and ducting material. Here's the link for a picture of the Mustang kit which is also offered in Carbon Fiber; http://www.miragemotorsports.com/Products/duct2.htm If we are interested, then replying here will help to put things in motion.

Two, Brembo will be realesing a kit for the L from their Sport line of upgrades. The Sport line consists of slotted and vented rotors with pads, basically just an OEM upgrade with the Brembo name. The kit should be released some time after SEMA...the representiative at MM said probably early next year. Any thoughts?
Morgan

Here's one that Bolt did:
View

Spike

How well does brake ducting work?

Geez so many hoses, hoses for cool air intake, 2 hoses for brake ducting, whats next.

After my recent experiences at the TMS "On Track" event, I would say that brakes are definitely the week link with the Lightning. Could it be because it goes real fast and weighs 4,700#?

I am going to upgrade next year maybe with some cross-drilled rotors. Interested in hearing how much that single mod will aid in keeping the brakes cool. A $3K Brembo upgrade is too far out there for me.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sixpipes:
I am going to upgrade next year maybe with some cross-drilled rotors. Interested in hearing how much that single mod will aid in keeping the brakes cool. A $3K Brembo upgrade is too far out there for me.</font>

You'd probably be better off spending money on the brake cooling ducts instead of cross-drilled rotors. I've never been a fan of cross-drilled rotors because I heard they are more prone to cracking. I don't personally know anybody who roadraces or runs open track who use them. They do look cool, though.
smile.gif

Stock rotors + brake ducts should be an excellent low-buck combo.

Does anybody make decent brake pads for the Lightning? I always run Porterfield R4 pads (racing compound) on my SE-R at the track, and they kick ass.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Pat
'00 Lightning, #981
'91 Sentra SE-R, SCCA/NASA racecar
'93 Sentra SE-R, sold :(

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SVT SE-R:
Does anybody make decent brake pads for the Lightning?
</font>
http://nloc.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001717.html

Hawk HP+ or Hawk Black (front and rear), plus Ruslow's slotted rotors and DOT 4 fluid work well.

------------------
Regards,

Spike
decshow.jpg

---------
Red 2000 Lightning, #4033
1967 CJ-5 (0 - 3 mph: yes)
White 1996 Whippet (600 yard course, 6 turns: 40 Seconds)
Red Wheaton 1995 Ridgeback (1/2 loaf of bread, 6 bites, 4 seconds)
2001 RR Puppy: 0 to destroy! - next 10 months

Back