Bed panel rust repair

Comet Man

H Grant
I recently started removing the rusty sections of my wheelhouse.Both sides of my bed were rusted out from salt and snd being trapped between the two panels.I started out by cutting away the outer panel,then cutting the inner panel out.I then took my replacement inner panel and cut it 1/2" larger than the area I removed by laying the rusty piece over the top of it and marking it 1/2" larger.Then I ground the paint off the repair panel and the inside of the existing wheelhouse.After that I laid a bead of 3M 8115 panel bond on each panel,Then I fitted it in place and clamped it down with c clamp vise grips.After letting the adhesive cure overnight I ground off the excess adhesive and sprayed it with a couple of coats of rust resistant paint.Now I am ready weld in the outer panel.Maybe next weekend!If any of you guys have this problem,Maybe this will give you an idea on how to repair it.
000_1512.jpg

000_1513.jpg

000_1534.jpg

000_1535.jpg

000_1537.jpg

000_1538.jpg

000_1610.jpg

000_1611.jpg

000_1612.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got to finish my bedsides this weekend.It took about 8 hours to weld them in ,smooth them out and get them in primer.Tack the repair panel in place,then start welding. Be sure to weld about 3/4" at a time then skip about 4",weld about 3/4" more and so on.This keeps warpage to a minimum.Taking your time with the welding will save you time working body filler.Good Luck,Heath

Back