Badge Resto

RazinCain

Gen 1 Throw Down
Ok I know this isnt for a Gen 1, its for my 07 Screw 4x4. But, I felt that one could do similar resto on their L Badges. Anyways, Im not sure I like it but I know I hated them before due to the badges looking like dog crap. They fade over time and just looked terrible. Well, I havent been able to work on the L lately but my auto itch was overwhelming today. So, I had some stuff laying around the garage and decided to put some of it to use.

I took my front badge off the grille. I wuill inclue a pic of the rear badge as I forgot to take a pic before I started. To take the badge off the front of my Screw, all you do is take the two nuts off the back of the grille. I took a flat blade screwdriver and pushed the studs of the badge through the grille. This removes the badge. It seriously takes about 2 minutes. I then took the emblem and sanded them with 180 grit. After getting them smoothed out I hit it with 800 grit to really smooth it out nice. I then wiped it down with thinner and let dry. I hung it out onm my back porch and sprayed a first coat. I was using Rust-olium Satin Black Universal paint that is good for metal and plastic. I then realized that it was about 40 degrees this morning and the paint looked like arse. Got my rag and thinner, wiped it down again and removed all the paint. Took the paint inside and, ahem, put it under my armpit and watched Trucks! for a bit. Got the paint nice and warm. Rattled it up really good and back outside I go. MUCH BETTER! I put on three light coat letting the badge sit inside hanging in the warm in between coats. I let 10 minutes lapse in between coats. After about 3 hours of drying, I reinstalled the badge on the truck. It probably should sit about 6 before really touching it, but no harm was done. I'll wait till tomorrow to drive it as it takes the paint about 24 hours to fully cure. Anyways, thought yall might could use this method for other badges like the F150 badges on the fenders or something.

Back