Autocross report and pics

S

SVT SE-R

Drove at NASA-Virginia's autocross Sunday at Virginia Motorsports Park. I won F Stock mainly 'cause there wasn't much competition.
biggrin.gif
But hey, a win's a win, right? I did beat my girlfriend in her 1LE Camaro, but she was on street tires while the Lightning was on Kumho Ecsta V700s for the first time:

tire2.jpg

Nice rubber bands, eh?
wink.gif
285/30/18! A friend of mine had a certificate for a free set of Kumhos -- any size, any type of tire, and free shipping and heat cycling to boot -- and I bought it from him for $500. $500 for $800 worth of tires is pretty good, IMO.
smile.gif

They obviously fit on the rim, and I'm sure the guy who mounted them loved me. I dropped them off at the shop that normally does my tire mounting and basically ran away before anybody could protest.
biggrin.gif

I designed the course and put in a couple pretty fast sections -- hit fuel cut in 2nd gear at one section. But I put in a couple tight sections so people with slow, little cars wouldn't whine about it being a "Lightning course," if there is such a thing.
smile.gif

My fastest time was 59.6. FTD was a little Formula Super Vee with a 50.X. Fastest car with fenders I think was an ESP WS6 with a 54 or 55.

There are a couple more pics at the bottom of this page.

------------------
Pat
'00 Lightning, #981
'91 Sentra SE-R, SCCA/NASA racecar
Blackshirt Racing

Pat; I was all set to buy a set of those myself (although not at that good of a deal <g> ), but opted for another set of the (much) cheaper bfg r1a's 275x40x18 since Tire Rack was closing them out ($95.00 ea).

Have you ever used the bfg's I mentioned? The reason I ask is to find out any differences in how the tires react/handle compared to one another.

??

Thanks.

------------------

476-601-4438-thumb.jpg

NLOC #307
12.93 @ 106.50

2001 KCIR Fun Ford Weekend
Lightning Class Winner

2001 Crown Autocross Club
E Street Prepared Champion

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by roger:
Pat; I was all set to buy a set of those myself (although not at that good of a deal <g> ), but opted for another set of the (much) cheaper bfg r1a's 275x40x18 since Tire Rack was closing them out ($95.00 ea).

Have you ever used the bfg's I mentioned? The reason I ask is to find out any differences in how the tires react/handle compared to one another.
</font>

Are they the G Forces? I've never used them, but I hear they are more sensitive to over-driving. With Kumhos, you can (over)drive them past their limit, but others say the G Forces will give way if you go over the limit. I guess it's more of a fine line from when they stop gripping and you just spin.
smile.gif

I almost got the BFG's, too, but bought that certificate instead. It looks like Tire Rack still has the BFG's available in 18"!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SVT SE-R:
Are they the G Forces? I've never used them, but I hear they are more sensitive to over-driving. With Kumhos, you can (over)drive them past their limit, but others say the G Forces will give way if you go over the limit. I guess it's more of a fine line from when they stop gripping and you just spin.
smile.gif

I almost got the BFG's, too, but bought that certificate instead. It looks like Tire Rack still has the BFG's available in 18"!
</font>

Pat; Yeah, those are the G-Forces they're closing out on. I was already used to their 'breakaway point' so I went for the cost savings and bought another set. You're right tho--when they go, they GO. Just like hitting a switch (or a patch of ice). But when you get them hot enough, they will 4-wheel drift very well.

------------------

476-601-4438-thumb.jpg

NLOC #307
12.93 @ 106.50

2001 KCIR Fun Ford Weekend
Lightning Class Winner

2001 Crown Autocross Club
E Street Prepared Champion

Back