August 2009 Gen 1 Truck Of The Month–Congrats Charles "Serious93L" Wells (NLOC#2699)

Status
Not open for further replies.

e9tac

August 2009 Gen 1 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Charles "Serious93L" Wells (NLOC# 2699).

This month's Gen 1 TOTM hails from "Hotlanta." When you see Charles' truck you can't help but noticed the glossy paint and the lowered clean look...it just pops. Charles spent countless hours getting his truck to look the way it does today and it sure has paid off. Thanks for being a part of the Lightning community.

Read on to learn more about Charles' truck and join in congratulating Serious93L and his Lightning on being August's Truck of the Month!

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

I've always loved the body/shape of the '92-'96 F150. A friend from high school had a clean red '95 Lightning that I always saw passing me on the way to class. I fell in love with them then.

100_21211.JPG

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

I've owned/built 4 mustangs and a Ford Probe. Shortly after my last mustang build ('87 LX Coupe w/306), I came across a trade for the truck I own now, a '93 SVT Lightning. Sadly enough, it was in rough shape but just seeing a Gen 1 in person brought back high school memories of me seeing that red 95 muscle pass my '93 Ford Probe, 4 banger slushbox. I just had to have it.

159-2.jpg

015.jpg

fasho4.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

The truck is a '93 and when I took ownership of it, Ford's lack of clearcoat started showing to say the least. The body was pretty straight but I just couldn't get it to shine even with my high speed buffing skills. 3 weeks later I dropped the truck off with my buddy Scott at the Dent Wizard Collision Center facility in Alpharetta, GA. After a grueling 3 months in the body shop, the truck was finally done. I ended up going with PPG 9300 Black on the entire truck. Also added a marble pearl effect to the center of the hood along the crease line, as well as on the tailgate. Topped everything off with 4 healthy coats of clear. The truck has gone through a few sets of wheels to say the least.

Show:
Custom Paint (PPG Base/Clear)
DEPO Smoked Crystal Headlights, Corners, Parking Lamps
DEPO 89-91 style F150 taillamps
9,000K Hella retrofit HID's
99 Gen 2 Lightning Wheels
275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1's front
295/45/18 Nitto 555's rear
Summit Racing low profile roll pan
35% Suntek Tint on side windows, 5% rear window
DJM Dream Beams
DJM Hangers/Shackles w/ slappers and helpers removed
Belltech Nitro Drop II shocks front
Doetsch Tech 9000 shocks rear

100_21291.JPG

100_21171.JPG

Go:
14* Timing
Custom Powdercoated Cold Air Intake
MSD cap/rotor
MSD StreetFire wires
MSD TFI Blaster Coil
Smog Pump Delete
Optima Yellow Top Battery
Custom offroad h-pipe
Custom Magnaflow side exit catback
TCI 2600 Stall Converter
Jasper Built 94L Trans w/custom valve body
Royal Purple 75w140 syn. in the rear.

002-40.jpg

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

I was concerned with the truck when I first got it. Was wondering if it was worth all the time and effort I was about to throw at it. Turned out to be a diamond in the rough after paint and body.

003-8.jpg

014-4.jpg

100_21281.JPG

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

I am a Master Detailer and do landscaping in my free time. I am on my way to becoming an ASE certified technician and working towards an associates degree in Automotive Technology. I love to play golf and most importantly tinker with my '93L. I met the love of my life, Jill in September of last year and enjoy spending all my time with her!

meandtruck.jpg

004-24.jpg

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

I started using the NLOC in mid 2008. I joined the club earlier this year. I became a member because of the wealth of information and down to earth community this board has to offer. I know it takes money to operate this site and with the current state of economy, I want to do my part by being a paid member. It's basic courtesy my mother taught me.

100_21142.JPG

100_21121.JPG

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

Nothing. I'm a pretty computer savvy guy and know a rock solid vbforum when I see one. It works great.

100_21781.JPG

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

I had a vision for a top notch "serious" first Generation Lightning when I purchased the truck. It's a '93. The name just makes sense.

002-33.jpg

007-15.jpg

100_21181.JPG

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

Well, I've got a Downs Upper intake I will be putting on the truck in a couple weeks. And we all know what comes after a box upper. Boost. S-Trim, larger injectors, and either a Tweecer or SCT Tuning. I want to stay speed density on the stock shortblock. I could go on and on with the supporting mods. I'd also like a nice cowl hood.

100_20991.JPG

100_2126.JPG

10. Whom would you like to thank for help\donations\support for putting the truck together??

I'd like to thank my girlfriend for putting up with all my crap and supporting my (habit) hobby. Also would like to thank the NLOC staff and all the members for the good info, parts, and tech advice!

100_21031.JPG

Congratulations to Charles and his 1993 black Gen 1 Truck of the Month, August 2009!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Charles, that's a beautiful truck:eek:ldtu:

That should give Jeff something to strive for :whistle: :gl:

Really nice Charles! Looks like you've done a great job with the L. Love the stance - and, of course, the color, especially with the touches you've added to it.

Thats a awesome G1. Perfectly done IMO. Love that truck!! Congrats man. Stance, paint, and the wheels are amazing!!

A GREAT BIG HUGE CONGRATS !!!

I've followed your threads in the Gen 1 forum and your truck and yourself are a perfect pick for Gen 1 TOTM.

Nice work and I do like that Fox body as well !!

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back