Anyone in the Charlotte area with a 1st gen?

slo89stang

Seeing if there are any other 1st gen owners around the Charlotte/Concord NC area.

I am trying to chase down a death shake(intermittent) and I would like to swap wheels and tires to see if that is my problem. I have a shop with a 2 post lift so it wouldn't take too long to swap wheels. I just need to see if that is my problem before plunking down the money for new rubbers.

:cool:

I highly doubt that's the problem. If your in doubt swap front to back. I would almost put money on it that its a combination of radius arm bushings and steering box. Depending on how long this has been a problem could greatly impact the condition of your ball joints and any other related components. I would also closely inspect the cross member and all I beam mounting brackets for cracks as well as the radius arm brackets

Check my other thread Scott. The RA bushings look good and have been replaced recently. I swapped front to back and it seemed to help, but like I said the shake is very intermittent. It doesn't happen all the time, but seems to do it more when under load but the engine doesn't sound different at all.

Well your popping could be in the steering box as well........I'd buy a reman and swap that sucker out........or rebuild it yourself. I'd start there before ANYTHING else. From experience. I had the SAME issue. It felt like my tires were bouncing off the pavement. It was sketchy after I replaced EVERYTHING with new components it was still there. After the box swap it was gone.

I had the same problem, rotated tires, has the rims checked to see if they were bent,replaced all front bushings, everything.. Go at alignment nothing..

It was a bad Steering box, after so much money spent. But its cool I have a 94 that drives almost as good as a new one

Well your popping could be in the steering box as well........I'd buy a reman and swap that sucker out........or rebuild it yourself. I'd start there before ANYTHING else. From experience. I had the SAME issue. It felt like my tires were bouncing off the pavement. It was sketchy after I replaced EVERYTHING with new components it was still there. After the box swap it was gone.

I may try that this week then. Hey its only money right? Can't take it with you. lol

So looking at all the reman units, which one is the best one to go with and from where? They all seem to be about the same price point(135-160) but vary from manufacturer.

Back