Alright so whats the verdict on the Wilwood pads?

TTA89

Forced Induction Addict
Hey guys,

Been pretty quiet around here lately. :cr:

Spring time is around the corner and that means its time to beat the crap out of the truck again instead of playing in the snow and ice. :D :D :D

I have been running D pads all winter and they made some noise for the first couple thousand miles in stop and go traffic which was annoying but then they stopped and have been totally quiet the last 4-5 months and I am happy with there street performance. The only downside is about 3 times the dust of the Q pads. After a week of driving the front wheels get pretty dark.

Considering the truck hasn't been washed since probably october you can imagine the clean up job I have in the spring time!

Anyways...

I am going to Summit Point in May for the SVTOA On-Track event. It will be my first time doing open track racing. I'm sooooooo hoping I don't get addicted..... :D

So the D pads have worked pretty good at the Auto X but I'm thinking I want to step it up to Race Pads for the weekend even though I'll be in the novice group and going slow.

I will be towing a Mustang from Boston to West Virginia and back after the weekend. The rotors I have on the truck are still pretty new and only have 2 Auto X events with D pads which are pretty friendly. I would like to stay away from J pads if it means I gotta change rotors at the track for the drive home.

I know someone was using E pads out there. How did they compare to the Js?

Is the stopping distance the same? The J's rule but man.. The dust and rotor life is rediculous.

BTW, Anyone else thinking about Summit Point?

After speaking with Todd at length about my driving habits before I bought the brakes I thought C's looked like a good place to start. That's what I've got on the shelf to try first. Most people don't get the J's hot enough and they eat rotors, so it's probably a smart move to stay away. I gotta get this stuff put on so I can go play.

I don't know how a pad and rotor can go through more extreme abuse than repeatidly stopping a 4800lb truck from 120mph-130mph.

The J's do rock but maybe thats the problem and they are not getting hot enough I dunno.

I'll have to go look at the properties of the Cs.

What are you running on the street?

Right now I'm running Wagner Thermoquiets because I don't have the Wilwoods on yet. Once I get them on I'll be running the Q's.

I stopped using the J pads because of rotor wear. I still don't believe that as hard as I drive a 5000 lb. brick around a road course that I don't get the brakes hot enough! If I don't what does? I still used the Q's on the street (although Todd can get you the Hawk hp's). My son runs the HP's on the street (Mach One) and they do dust more than the Q's but they stop better also. I'm running E's at the track and they will wipe away any deposits the Q's leave, then when you put the Q's back in (like I did on Sunday after my event) it will stop smooooth as can be. The E's work ok at the track but they are not anything like the J's (but the E's don't hurt the rotors at all)! I have 20 sessions on this set of rotors usuing the E's and the gas slots are still there. With the J's the slots would be gone after the second twenty minute session.

J

Just replaced some SRT4 rotors Jerrry, guy runs the J pads and loves them.

Rotors shot at about 500 miles.

Lighter car, but he pushes it hard! It's all about the wear rate...lol He's off to try the E pads now as well. ($250 later)

Yeah I wasted the slots after 1 Auto X with Js. They stop awesome, someone I have pics coming into the stop box with sparks flying off the brakes and through the wheels. You hit the brakes and it stops like right now.

Do the E's make the truck look like this? Again... J's are not very friendly lol

DSCF0002.JPG

I have a dark colored truck but I bet the E's will not do that. When I ran the J's I could feel the pad material on the side of the truck. I can't feel anything on the side of the truck after running the E's.

J

Its not the pad material you feel, thats rotor!

That is rusted metal on the truck.

Back