airtroop01 hows the install going?

driven to build

New setup to come...Again
We haven't had an update on if you got the bugs worked out and if you have your tune completed yet. Last I read you were going to visit Jody for a little tuning. Did you ever get on the dyno?

Did you ever get the meth working and tuned, if so did it help on both temps and HP?

I was also wondering what other upgrades you have done to your truck, fuel, maf, tq converter, whatever?

I should be starting mine soon and am just looking for a little more insight. By the way thanks for all you and Jody have done already.

Dan Ries (Driven)

he has never gotten to the dyno yet as there are still many issues to be worked out.

im almost positive hes hasnt messed with the meth yet as he still has a lot of issues with drivability however that is the least of his worries. All he needs to do for the meth bc it has been previously installed and working correctly is to adjust the fuel to account for the meth. Thats easy for him.

he has 255s, 60#injs?? (i believe), SCT 2800 maf, new converter, built tranny, JLP block

he is having some problems with the turbo constanly pushing air through the stock vac lines. with a blower this does not happen and now with the turbo he is constantly blowing off hoses. he may also have some sort of leak that he is unaware of. lots of issues with stalling out.

Phil has been pretty busy with things lately not including the truck. Hes been working on it but its not tip top yet. I may not be 100% correct but I believe this is the jist of his situation.

**Phil, hope I didnt say anything completely wrong, or that you didnt want.

Chris

Last edited:
No, I'm still working on the tune.

Here's what I learned so far. Make sure every single vacuum hose and lead is tie wrapped and hose clamped down. When you think you've got them all, check again. I kept blowing off hoses, even things that I thought were pretty well secured. So that would send me down a road trying to tune around that issue when the behavior of the truck would change.

Going to Jody's helped quite a bit. I'm running an open loop tune right now since when I'm running closed loop the computer is freaking out on me and adding then subtracting fuel. I'm suspecting a vacuum leak and planning to pull the sheetmetal intake off and use some silicone there. I never used any when I bolted down the intake. I figured that it would bolt up against the metal gasket without silicone like the blower does?!

The snow kit is on and yep its working. I've got a few leaks against the injector that cropped up from messing with those nylon compression lines. (I've never had good luck with compression fit stuff). Its the only reason I think I've been able to mess around and hit 20 psi on 91-octane pump gas.

Other upgrades?
Torque converter is next mod. The truck needs it!
Fuel - I'll look into upgrading the lines and the rails when I get it stable.
Downpipe - I'll look into a 4" ovalled downpipe.

Already had from before:
Fuel - 60lb injectors, BAP, 255 lph fuel pumps
MAF - BA2400 + MafXtender
Plugs - NGK BR7EF's

Sal's supposed to come out here in Jan for a Dyno Day.
Maybe he can get it to behave better if I don't by then.
At least I'll have numbers then.

Last edited:
ACWALSH8 said:

Phil has been pretty busy with things lately not including the truck. Hes been working on it but its not tip top yet. I may not be 100% correct but I believe this is the jist of his situation.

**Phil, hope I didnt say anything completely wrong, or that you didnt want.

Chris

Not at all, I'm a pretty open book when it comes to my truck.
Good, bad, or otherwise, I'll tell people what's up.
If I'm an idiot, then maybe someone will say hey you fool you should be doing that and it may get resolved quicker... or... it might help someone else down the road.

Yep, I've been pretty busy at work lately. The truck has gotten all of 30 mins here and 20 min there of my attention.

Thanks for the update. I should be starting right after Christmas, my work schedule is crazy too right now. I sure hope I can get everything worked out and running, before prime summer driving, yes we have plenty of snow now.

Keep me informed if you find anything else. I will silicone the intake down just in case.

I can't wait to see your numbers, take some video if you can I would love to see it on the dyno.

Dan

driven to build said:
Thanks for the update. I should be starting right after Christmas, my work schedule is crazy too right now. I sure hope I can get everything worked out and running, before prime summer driving, yes we have plenty of snow now.

Keep me informed if you find anything else. I will silicone the intake down just in case.

I can't wait to see your numbers, take some video if you can I would love to see it on the dyno.

Dan

Sounds like with your mods that you and I should have pretty similar hp numbers.

Do you have a Pro Racer tuning package to make your own changes? I don't know what I would do without the ability to tweak things as I needed to.

Phil, as that aluminum plenum is welded up the flanges will warp some. You should probably use something (silicone) around all the flanges. I set mine up after it was welded and machined the flanges flat again, but still used some silicone around it. Big difference in a machined flat cast alum surface and a machined flange thats been welded.

Sorry I've been no help on the stalling issue. I havent figured it out yet but I will. Will have another setup I'll be tuning on in a couple weeks.

Frank5L said:
Phil, as that aluminum plenum is welded up the flanges will warp some. You should probably use something (silicone) around all the flanges. I set mine up after it was welded and machined the flanges flat again, but still used some silicone around it. Big difference in a machined flat cast alum surface and a machined flange thats been welded.

Sorry I've been no help on the stalling issue. I havent figured it out yet but I will. Will have another setup I'll be tuning on in a couple weeks.

The dashpot tweaks and upping the idle_drive_air and idle_neutral_air settings that SkidmarkRacing suggested helped a lot. It nearly eliminated the stalling when I was tuning with Jody.

But, I think the potential vac leak that I could have in the plenum might be the reason why I'm still having issues. Yeah, I doubt that Pro Turbo Systems machined the flange after its been welded and powdercoated. I need to give Dalton a call and find out if they do. Its kinda the same as the JLP sheetmetal intake I suppose where you need to apply a good amount of silicone to keep it sealed.

Phil,

I talked to dalton on Thurs and he told me the reason that you were not powder coated on top of the intake was they did machine yours flat and the tread problem was they did not clean-up the treads afterwords. Are you talking about the leak being at the top or the bottem?

As far as the Pro Racer tuning package I'm not that adept at the tuning this is really my first project that needs this much done so I don't know if I would do more damage or good. How easy is it to use and how did you learn about what to do as far as tuning? As of now I'm planning on using a local guy but he has little turbo experience but does quite a bit with L's and cobra's.

Dan

driven to build said:
Phil,

I talked to dalton on Thurs and he told me the reason that you were not powder coated on top of the intake was they did machine yours flat and the tread problem was they did not clean-up the treads afterwords. Are you talking about the leak being at the top or the bottem?

As far as the Pro Racer tuning package I'm not that adept at the tuning this is really my first project that needs this much done so I don't know if I would do more damage or good. How easy is it to use and how did you learn about what to do as far as tuning? As of now I'm planning on using a local guy but he has little turbo experience but does quite a bit with L's and cobra's.

Dan

Well, they shouldn't have been machining the top of the intake. They need to machine the mating surface of the intake. So that doesn't make sense as a reason why they didn't powdercoat the top of it. I thought the powdercoater was confused as to what needed to be powdercoated. The lower mating surface could have indeed been machined and just need silcone in addition. It was just a lack of thinking move on my part. I used silicone to mate the C&L and the phenolic spacer.

Now the threads is another story. Its way too easy to rip threads out a soft aluminum plate. I'm pretty happy with the inserts that Jody had put in there. Impressed me so much I bought a whole kit from McMaster-Carr.

Tuning, we'll that's an uphill learning curve for me. I wouldn't consider myself a tuning guru, however, you can learn to set your A/F pretty easily if you have a wideband and you can learn to set your timing where you want it easily. SCT provides the value files for the MAF and injectors you're using. Then the real skill comes in to know what to tweak after that -- then I call Jody and beg for help. :D

This is the part I'm missing... "Then the real skill comes in to know what to tweak after that -- then I call Jody and beg for help." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was just reading about the Pro Racer package it might be worth toying with.

Dan

airtroop01 said:
I think that the more of us that are using the PRP, the more we could help each other out.

Very true. Not a super hard system but previous tuning experience helps. Either way there is a learning curve. Main thing is knowing what you are trying to accomplish.

Jody

Back