Afghanistan THREATENED Us?!?!?

"Flying in there and bombing the piss out of them" won't accomplish a thing. Right, they don't have electricity in alot of places..that means they don't have alot of infrastructure for us to bomb. What do we bomb, tents? camels? This won't be solved that way, we're going to have to send ground troops in.

You send ground troops in, and I'm afraid we won't accomplish jack sh!t...We haven't seen this type of warfare since Vietnam. You're gonna see Guirilla(sp?) warfare, and the casualities are likely going to be intolerable. Keep it an technological war and the casualties will be much more acceptable.

You're going to find that the woman and children are going to just as much of a target/threat as the men in uniform..Just like the Vietcong a few decades back. What looked like a innocent child when you passed just pulled an AK out and is going to shoot you in the back..I have friends in my fraternity house who are marines, I don't want to see a ground battle, as I might not ever see them again.

They are looking at this as a holy war(f*cked up in the head in my opinion, but consider the source), their resolve and drive is unparalled..They believe by killing us and trying to destroy us they'll go to heaven.. Take out their food and supplies, starve them out, then cap them with a few Vulcan(depleted uranium) rounds and call it a day..An M-16 would work too, but an M-16 doesn't sound as cool..

Right now this is extremely complicated, we want retribution, but we also don't want to spill any unneccesary American blood..We are fighting an enemy that could possibly move around the globe in a matter of days... He is also well supported in his nation, and well dug in..Granted he doesn't exactly have the ground cover of the Vietcong in Vietnam, but it's still going to be an unconventional war...

I guess we're just going to have to wait and see what our military leaders plan to do..

------------------
Curt
'93 Red Lightning #4232
http://www.geocities.com/lightning_struck93/index.html

[This message has been edited by Lightning Struck (edited 09-15-2001).]

You don't need ground troops. Desert Storm proved that. The war was won by the Air Force. The troops simply mopped up and fed the starving enemy Doritos and crap, and took prisoners. If you wanna lose the least amount of people, pound them mercilessly with air and naval power. Since we're not looking to take over a country, why send in troops?

Before we commit any military force larger than an angry grandmother with a sfety pin we need to establish measurable objectives. Not "keep the peace" BS...Once we have those, the USMC and brethren are unmatched in execution of objectives.
Here's my current vote on objectives (based on my limited amount of information ):
1. Kill bin Ladin
2. Destroy Afghanastans terrorist and terrorist supporting capabilities
3. Remove the Talaban from government
4. Open up McDonalds and Kentucky Fried Chicken franchises in every village
5. Can you say Afghan-Disney Land?
6. Broadcast Survivor and Weakest link 24/7
7. Install Clinton as the head of the new government and watch him get away with everything.

Panthera (just another Roman soldier)

Ok, some of you keep referring back to Vietnam and the time when Russia was fighting the Afghans. Well that was then, this is now. Technology is FAR more advanced than it was back then. Also wanna know why Russia didn't do well against Afghanistan? We helped the Afghans.

Bin Ladin is fairly strong over there because he basically runs the country with his money and brain washing. Sure Bin Ladin is a priority target but one of the first objectives should be to take out the Talaban government. The people of Afghanistan don't have a choice in anything with the Talaban's running the country. Take out the government and you will greatly cripple the country and Bin Ladin. Without the Government there to be his liaison his effectiveness is GREATLY reduced. I'd bet there's alot more people there that DON'T want to mess with the US than the few that do. All the media has shown us are the few that do. The Persian Gulf war is a very good example of it. They came running to us to surrender and the ones that didn't surrendered without much of a fight. Granted they weren't Afghans. We basically just gave Iraq a "slap on the wrist". Of course it's hostile territory. Always is when fighting the enemy on their turf.

Those countries are VERY poor. Bin Ladin is the one with the money and probably another state or two helping to fund HIM. Afghanistan doesn't have the funds for the technology it'll take to fight and/or defeat the US and whoever else, such as Great Britain and France, if they get involved to help. Sure it'll be guerilla war fare. What war isn't? Even Desert Storm had it's share of it.

You can bet that terrorists will try to strike again. And that's whether we attack or not. BUT someone has to take the initiative to put a stop to the world terrorism and it's gotta start somewhere. Everyone has been putting this "on the back burner" and ignoring it. We have to put our foot down with this crap and along with our allies this can be accomplished. Terrorism: it will take time to try to extinguish it, but an important starting place is with Afghanistan and Bin Ladin.

Afghanistan is an accessory/harbor to Bin Ladin and therefore are just as guilty as he is. Same as if you were hiding a murderer in your house from the cops. Same principle.

Like Gitchi said. You start with the air raids. This WILL accomplish alot. You hit the major cities, the capital (gov't), etc. This is the "infrastructure" you hit and start at.

Without leadership there are no followers.

------------------
Adam B.
1994 Red SVT Lightning #2019

flag.gif

Ooooppss..I pushed the red button. I think that used to be Afghanistan--->
vlam.gif
mgwhore.gif

[This message has been edited by MO351 (edited 09-16-2001).]

Back