'93 Replacement Driveshaft

jdgerz

Hi, I have a 1993 lightning with engine modified to push about 450 HP. Took it for a test ride and driveshaft broke/fell out (everything else is fine i think there must have been a dent it the driveshaft). I'm looking for advice on where to find a good replacement and was wondering if I would need a more heavy duty driveshaft for the extra HP? I found a driveshaft on Rock Auto that seems like it will do the trick, just want to make sure it's correct before I buy it and pay for shipping. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Link to replacement I found:

Hi, I have a 1993 lightning with engine modified to push about 450 HP. Took it for a test ride and driveshaft broke/fell out (everything else is fine i think there must have been a dent it the driveshaft). I'm looking for advice on where to find a good replacement and was wondering if I would need a more heavy duty driveshaft for the extra HP? I found a driveshaft on Rock Auto that seems like it will do the trick, just want to make sure it's correct before I buy it and pay for shipping. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Link to replacement I found:

The Lightning driveshaft a a nice HD aluminum part using 1330 ujoints, you for sure did not hurt it with 450HP. Either the ujoints failed due to miles or you've got something else wrong. Got any pics? Trying to understand the "dent" part? :)

The Lightning driveshaft a a nice HD aluminum part using 1330 ujoints, you for sure did not hurt it with 450HP. Either the ujoints failed due to miles or you've got something else wrong. Got any pics? Trying to understand the "dent" part? :)
Ok thanks good to know ill replace with a stock, do you know of anywhere to find one? From looking at what's left of the driveshaft (which is only the trans yoke and half u joint on the diff), I'm thinking the U-joints failed since the driveshaft had over 200K miles on it and there was a slight dent in the driveshaft that probably caused it to unbalance adding to the stress on the joints. Unfortunately I don't have a pic b/c the driveshaft disappeared somewhere in the woods on the side of a road lol.350D9B7B-D094-4E77-B35A-3577E004F511.jpegBC621CDD-E2BD-4A08-B420-C478635B34F8.jpegCC49DEEC-8B86-461A-826C-0CB8C4BE69E9.jpeg

My driveshaft also disappeared, but it was before I owned the truck. Currently it has a steel driveshaft from a normal f-150.

My truck is also 5 speed swapped, would like to get an aluminum driveshaft back in there someday.

400 is a lot for a steel driveshaft look at a local junkyard you should be able to find one for under 100 bucks

Been putting ~800 hp through a stock driveshaft, many quarter mile passes, also towing, etc, for about 20 years...

The rest of the driveline has broken around the driveshaft, but the driveshaft remains! Transmission, axles, spider gears, etc all have been rebuilt or replaced after failures.

That rust on the slip yoke is a little puzzling... Had the truck sat for a while?

almost looks like the driveshaft wasn't in the trans very far. but unless you have something changed in the drivetrain that wouldn't be the case.

My driveshaft also disappeared, but it was before I owned the truck. Currently it has a steel driveshaft from a normal f-150.

My truck is also 5 speed swapped, would like to get an aluminum driveshaft back in there someday.

400 is a lot for a steel driveshaft look at a local junkyard you should be able to find one for under 100 bucks
Thanks good to know, so does any normal f-150 driveshaft with the same dimensions work, not just the specific lightning one?

Been putting ~800 hp through a stock driveshaft, many quarter mile passes, also towing, etc, for about 20 years...

The rest of the driveline has broken around the driveshaft, but the driveshaft remains! Transmission, axles, spider gears, etc all have been rebuilt or replaced after failures.

That rust on the slip yoke is a little puzzling... Had the truck sat for a while?
Yea truck had been sitting for a while outside and the yoke was partially out of the trans when it sat after driveshaft fell out lol.

Thanks good to know, so does any normal f-150 driveshaft with the same dimensions work, not just the specific lightning one?
Any driveshaft from a short bed truck with the automatic transmission and a v8 should be the same.

Any driveshaft from a short bed truck with the automatic transmission and a v8 should be the same.
I would think it needed to be from another e4od truck no? Not sure if the 4r70w trucks have same length shaft and same spline count.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Never knew that. Is the 4r70w better than an E4OD?
Not really. The e4od was considered more of a heavy duty trans of the day. Only thing I think the 4r70w has over it is the off the shelf availability of a transbrake.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Back