87 octane at 14*

I remember my 05 ranger actually recommended BP gas in the gas door. I never used it but started after some time and gained 1 to 1-1/2 mpg switching.

I agree that there are differences.

LOL our 07' ranger has the same thing! Thing gets 23mpg as it is with any gas.

I remember my 05 ranger actually recommended BP gas in the gas door. I never used it but started after some time and gained 1 to 1-1/2 mpg switching.

I agree that there are differences.
After that whole gas recall ill never go to another BP station.

The 2011 F150 owners manual says to use 91 octane for overall best performance or when towing.

The 2012 through 2014 F150 owner's manual states "Premium fuel will provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such as trailer tow."

Performance refers to power, torque and mileage. The 2011 mileage numbers came from using 91 octane fuel. There was an * next to EPA ratings in some of the 2011 ad pamphlets that said fuel ratings were accomplished while using 91 octane fuel.

Last edited:
Btw, forgot to update this. I noticed some pinging under partial throttle and a load (exactly where matt said he would expect it), so i switched back to 91 before goin on a weekend camping trip. Im glad i caught it before i left. I know for a fact that it wasnt there for the first half tank of 87 but maybe the drastic drop in the temp here leaned it out. C'est la vie.

Also, took the truck down talimena scenic drive, the first time since i changed from drop springs and shackles to a 3/4 drop and this thing loves those long fast corners. Doing 80 in a marked 35mph turn was a breeze

Last edited:
Back