6.0L Powerstroke Problems

blownnjucied94

S-Trim is on...
I Support the NLOC
Hey guys, been a while since I've done much posting. My daily driver is acting up. I was hoping there may be some fellow Powerstroke guys here. I have an 2005 F350. I started getting the treaded degas bottle overflow. My EGR cooler was replaced about 60k ago and EOT and ECT deltas are showing that the oil cooler is still good.

the coolant system is pressurizing. I think it could be one of three things at this point. Here they are in list of least likely to most, IMO:

3. - Just had four injectors replaced before this started. Injector cup cracked? I do not smell diesel in the coolant, and the coolant is not overflowing b/c of quantity

2. - Ruptured EGR cooler. I am running a stock cooler right now. I watch my EOT/ECT delta and it seems fine. I had them changed shortly after buying the truck, about 60k miles ago.

1. - Head gaskets... :no: I am just worried it is head gaskets at this point. I am not looking forward to fixing that.

The truck has 175k on it now. It looks like the head gaskets are going to cost me about $1700 in parts (if my heads only need milled). A local shop estimated for a full stud job with other upgraded parts (factory upgrades, STC; IPR valve; etc.) it would be $5000-$5500. I do not have access to a lift at this point, so I'd have to do the HG's with the cab on.

I bought this truck to be able to park the Lightning. Looks like the Lightning is going to get some daily use again...

I started a thread on Powerstroke.org. It just does not have the same feel as the guys around here...

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...28505-another-degas-problem-been-reading.html

Let me know what you guys think.

my 6.0 started pushing a little coolant out the bottle recently it was just the cap even tho it held pressure (seemed normal). tried my brothers and worked perfectly. Im also studded and egr deleted tho

EGR and headgaskets usually smoke pretty heavy under boost. EGR can smoke idle and normal acceleration aswell.

Diesel stop forum is also a good site. Might try there also. Helped me when I needed input but I've got the great 7.3 and not the dreaded 6.0. Hope they can help ya!!

6000 grand is what my buddy spent to fix his 6.0 headgaskets and two injectors.

His heads gasket let go and didnt have anypower to pull it's self.

Well, the truck is tore down. Heads went to machine shop yesterday. They checked out fine (no cracks!) They are going to be decked due to some slight warping. The EGR cooler looked dry on the exhaust side. Could not find definitive spot where the head gasket was leaking though. Granted, I didn't drive it much more that 50 miles after the first instance of the cooling system pressurizing.

Got all the parts ordered and hope to put back to together this weekend. I cannot believe the prices at Ford AutoNation (formerly Tousley). Going back together with all Ford seals/gaskets/O-rings/etc. upgraded to ARP Studs and did an IRP Gen2 EGR delete. Hope I can get a long run now with out repairs. I just did the last 4 injectors 6 weeks ago roughly. These diesel are too expensive haha.

my 6.0 started pushing a little coolant out the bottle recently it was just the cap even tho it held pressure (seemed normal). tried my brothers and worked perfectly. Im also studded and egr deleted tho

EGR and headgaskets usually smoke pretty heavy under boost. EGR can smoke idle and normal acceleration aswell.

What type of pressure where you seeing on the coolant side? I had a temp pressure gauge hooked to the coolant system. When I'd stand on it getting on the interstate, the gauge would go to 15(ish)PSI. The cap vents around 15 psi. The pressure was pretty much in ratio to the throttle. If I was accelerating remotely hard, the pressure would climb to 10+ easily and up to the 15 mark if I was WOT.

Back