4.56 GEARS

D

DAVE94LIGHTNING

I just recieved a set and was going to put em in tommorrow with the lowering kit if it dosen't rain. Any thoughts on what the benefits/disadvantages will be?..And what can I expect to gain in the 1/4 mile with drag radials?..i'm expecting a tenth to two tenths.

Dave,

Bob Ellsworth experimented with 4.56 gears and wasn't very happy with the results, though I used to run shorter-than-stock tires and loved the extra "oomph" the increase in gearing gave me.

Later!
Jeff S.

Well, I odnt have 4.56 gears. But I have/do run 275-40-17 tires (25.8" dia) and I think this is about equal. I would not want that much gear if I had to drive the truck daily. I hit the speed limiter at 95, instead of 110 MPH. I would give it serious thought!

Guys; Thanks for the feedback, as far as hitting the speed limiter at 95mph it is a problem because the truck should pass that mark in the 1/4 mile..I guess i'll have to talk to Sal about a chip finally. As far as the "oomph" factor i think it'll be worth it:)

I run 4.56 gears, I cant really tell you how much ET you will pick up b/c when I made the switch I was already having tracion problems with the stock tires and the 4.56s made it even worse, There's no doubt it will get you moving out of the hole quicker and you will use all of 3rd gear in the 1/4 mi. At 70 MPH I turn 2550 RPMs with the stock tires and 4.56s, So I dont think its to bad as far as that goes, As for the speed limiter that could be a problem!

Hey, Sparkman this new message board is
pretty cool, Good job man!

Later,
Icepick

Back