130 Amp Alternator install

Ranchero 1968

"Mr. Happy"
First off, you will need to perform an upgrade of the alternator charging cable. There are a few places to purchase the heavy duty charging cable. Some of these are: Painless Wiring (Summit Racing, Jeg's, Painless Wiring), NAPA Auto Parts, numerous online Mustang parts websites and our very own StruckBy Power Systems. And, if you read my previous thread on StruckBy battery/alternator cables, then you know that you must contact NLOC supporting vendor (SV) thePunisher (Paul).

...on to the install

The following will be needed to perform this very simple task. It should take no more than an hour if you take your time.

1. a 130 amp alternator for a 1994/1995 Ford E250 Van/Ambulance. You can purchase alternator's from your local parts store, Summit, Jeg's, Rock Auto and the list goes on and on.
2. a breaker bar and a ratchet handle.
3. a 15 mm socket for the idler pulley bolt (to remove the serpentine belt).
4. a 10 mm socket for the charging cable to alternator attach bolt.
5. a 13mm socket for the three alternator to bracket attach bolts.
6. a tube of Dielectric Grease.
7. some other item's are: a fender cover, magnetic hardware pan, gloves, a 3" flat tip screwdriver, a 1/2" ratcheting box end wrench to disconnect the negative battery cable and a telescopic magnetic tip pick-up tool.

**Note: this would be a great time to replace the idler pulley and/or serpentine belt if they are worn out.

**Tip: ensure you purchase an alternator with a LLT Warranty. Have the store perform an operational check of the alternator prior to leaving.

A photo of the tools that will/may be required.

Last edited:
The install and pic's

**Caution: Perform removal of alternator with a cool engine.

1. disconnect the negative battery cable using a 1/2" ratcheting box end wrench or socket.
2. remove the serpentine belt with the breaker bar and 15 mm socket.
3. disconnect the charging cable using the 10 mm socket, the three contact plug and the 3G pigtail.
4. remove the 13 mm bolt's from the alternator and set them aside.
5. lift the alternator up and out of the way.

**Note: handle the alternator with care. Do not drop alternator, it may be needed for a core charge. Also, it would be very easy to break a toe if dropped on your foot.

Last edited:
alternator install (cont'd)

6. transfer items to the new alternator (as needed).
7. install new alternator to bracket.
8. tighten hardware.
9. reconnect/tighten charging cable, reconnect three contact connector plug and 3G pigtail.
10. install new serpentine belt or re-install current serpentine belt.

**Caution: ensure serpentine belt routing is correct and that belt is on pulley's correctly.

11. re-connect battery cable.
12. start L and ensure there are no warning lamps illuminated.

Enjoy your new upgrade. It will support an E-Fan or stereo amplifier install.

Many thanks to StruckBy (Ed) and thePunisher (Paul) for their craftsmanship and SV status.

I hope this helps someone.

James

Last edited:
conclusion to install

Checkout the charging needle in the last picture. It now rests on the "A". The needle was resting on the "R" prior to the upgrade.

Last edited:
thanks for the info,I will also be doing this to mine tomorrow.I notice that your fuel guage also reads the same as mine most the time.

That is correct. I purchased a AutoZone reman'd LLT Warranty alternator for an E250 Van. It is a one for one swap. The 130 amp case size is larger but it bolt's in with ZERO mod's to the bracket.

For the alternator charging cable upgrade, are you referring to the connector that plugs in the alternator? Is it an upgrade for a 94 L or is that also from a 94 E150?

Great stuff. Just finished mine. Couple more lessons-learned:

I got my alternator from Napa (#13-3108) but it didn't come with a pulley -- save yourself the hassle of swapping the pulley and get an alternator that comes with.

I used the Napa high-output alternator cable kit (#13-31K) which required modifications to make it fit correctly - drilling out one connector, filing down another, and cutting and re-connectorizing the 4-ga cables that were too long. Napa's kit gives you heat-shrink to put over the end of the old alternator cable so you can leave it in place :scared1: I strongly recommend against this. Take the time to open up the cable-wrap and separate the alternator cable from the control wires and completely remove the old alternator cable.

...update...RJM sells a 2-ga cable kit: http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/col...essories/products/alternator-charge-cable-kit

Also recommend using a slightly longer belt to accommodate the larger alternator (bigger case moves pulley farther away) -- an extra 1/2" from whatever you used with the 95 amp alternator. For example, if you are using the stock size belt (6K1020) then switch to the E-250 5.8L belt (6K1025). You might be able to make the old belt fit, but you won't have any play left in your tensioner arm.

Finally, this is a good time to replace those plastic idler & tensioner pulleys (both 76mm) with steel pulleys -- same p/n for both pulleys from Napa, Gates or ACDelco = #38006.

Last edited:
Copied from http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-1-lightnings/215180-130-amp-alternator.html#post2009882

Here is some info I had pulled from Hollander, I ended up getting mine off of a 2000 E150 with a 4.2L, it was plug/play.

EXPLORER 93-95 130 amp
EXPLORER 96 6 cyl (4.0L), 130 amp, ID F2PU-10300-AF
EXPLORER 96 6 cyl (4.0L), 130 amp, ID F2TU-10300-AF
EXPLORER 96 6 cyl (4.0L), 130 amp, ID F3UU-10300-AF
EXPLORER 96-97 6 cyl (4.0L), 130 amp, F5UU-10300-BA
FORD F250-F450 PICKUP 92-97 diesel, 130 amp
FORD VAN 92 diesel, 130 amp, from 2/19/92
FORD VAN 93-95 diesel, 130 amp
FORD VAN 93-96 gasoline, 8-302 (5.0L), 130 amp

Some of the 4.2L V6 trucks/vans have the same style alternator, along with 4.9L straight six trucks had 130A.

:help:Does anyone know if the ID numbers listed above are the only correct ID numbers? Several that I have looked at have F3/F5DU-xxxxxx. Is there any other way to tell that it is a 130 amp?

:help:Does anyone know if the ID numbers listed above are the only correct ID numbers? Several that I have looked at have
F3/F5DU-xxxxxx. Is there any other way to tell that it is a 130 amp?

Here's the easiest way...

Steve83 said:
If it has 2 holes between each pair of front ribs, it's a 130A version.

alternator-130a.jpg

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-1-lightnings/215180-130-amp-alternator-2.html#post2013801

Ok guys, sorry to bring this back to life. I just installed my new alternator and I'm pretty sure I installed the struby changing cable right, but when I turned the truck on I have my battery light on? Just to make sure the big charging cable also goes to the back of the alternator right?

Back