01 Ford Escape no start/cut off in hot weather. Code p0320

Jpotts

2001 ford escape is killing me, cranks and runs fine in mild weather but once it gets hot it will shut off while driving and went restart without starter fluid unless I let it sit for a while. New fuel pump, re ran some vacuum lines that previous owner had wrong.. No engine light until multiple attempts to restart. Anyone know what direction to go in?

There are lots of directions it could go. Most of them will require some diagnostic equipment to chase down. You've got 4 options: test each component individually until you hopefully find a bad one, throw parts at it until it's fixed, buy a scanner and learn to use it, or take it to a pro. The last two usually end up being the most cost effective depending on what your time is worth to you.

P0320 os crank position sensor.
My 02 chevy company truck exibited similar symptoms recently and shop diagnosed same cause had the sensor replaced all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a pattern failure for those vehicles. It sets a P0320 code, but the crank sensor isn't the problem. Noise caused by the ignition or alternator or a fault in another sensor that shares either the 5V reference or ground with the CPS cause the problem. It can be a real beeotch to track down.

What do you mean by noise in the ignition or alternator and how exactly do I troubleshoot that? I know this repair is out of my league, I'm pretty good at working on diesels so I'm not completely mechanically inept, cars just aren't my forte. Tomorrow morning I'm gonna start tracing wires and see if I can find anything shorted out. I'll start with the CPS harness since you said something could be interfering with that.

Back