blower bracket recommendations

I have a passenger side bracket with my TorqStorm. Smog pump gets removed, alternator drops down and SC goes up top. No, that's not my motor.
b833475fafb11b22a210354f60354c8a.jpg
1ed16ca44faec0e79e8f070e4968cbef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Have you installed your TorqStorm kit yet?

Man I don't know if I would move around everything for that torqstorm blower. What if a guy wanted to keep his smog pump? They would do well to add another higher flowing blower as well. Currently looks like they just redesigned a powerdyne xb1a or something to support 700fwhp.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

So far my though process.

This is just thinking out loud right now as I have not put this on a engine yet to really get a good visual but my plan is see what it takes for a 3/4" or 5/8" thick plate. Id rather put a couple small grooves/clearance cuts into it and leave the majority at the thicker size than make the whole thing out of 1/2 and run into the same issues the current ones have. I think i'll be able to make a small groove for the factory serpentine belt if it requires it. A narrow groove across the plate at 1/2" thick will have less flex than the whole bracket being 1/2" especially if there is bracing is after it. (hard to explain my thought process). The back side doesn't concern me as much. I can pocket/groove/profile to clear any factory webbing necessary.

As for pulleys. Ideally I want to make an auto tensioner work. I'll need to actually put this on something to see what space is really available and what tensioners are available. Cobra guys like a roush 3v upgraded tensioner for their blower setups. I'll look into it. Idler placement will be critical to making this work. the more belt wrap we can get on the blower the better. Idlers are pricey so this will have to be well thought out.

plate is reasonably priced. I'm not a metallurgy expert but 7075 aluminum is generally much stronger than 6061 and the pricing isn't terrible, its actually cheaper than steel. I'll talk to some engineering friends about the actually stress load the setup will take and see what they think.

Steel bracket is probably not a realistic option. The added machine time and tooling wear would probably make it an unrealistic option for cost. But I wont rule it out just yet if. Also, again with the metallurgy stuff. 6061 and 7075 has a higher yield strength than A36 steel plate stock.

One of my old blower setups, either the Powerdyne or Vortech, used a big ol' extended barrel pulley on the water pump to get away from that belt proximity issue.

I thought about trying to add an auto tensioner when I ran the Novi 2000. Dayco has a good selection of strong tensioners. Should be easy to adapt one. Steel is definitely harder to machine but it is about 2-3 times more resistant to deflection than aluminum. Again I think steel would be for race only guys who want max stiffness. I messaged the ebay seller that makes brackets for our trucks and they said they could make out of steel if there was enough interest. They also questioned why I would want it lol. I bet a 5/8 bracket could be made to where you don't have to clearance anything on bracket. 3/4 may require some clearancing. Again don't underestimate the auto tensioner.. this is the most important thing that has been missing on these kits.

I poured over eBay, Google etc looking for any type of auto style tensioner to work with my powerdyne but when I put the Vortech on it had a built in tensioner in the head unit itself and the slide tensioner on my bracket by the water pump and it works well so I gave up. But there are a few that possibly would work it’s just a matter of burning a couple hundred bucks and some time to figure one out.

- - - Updated - - -

One of my old blower setups, either the Powerdyne or Vortech, used a big ol' extended barrel pulley on the water pump to get away from that belt proximity issue.

I’ve seen that on Vortech that is center mounted. Mines off to the drivers side

a little progress was made. I got a snakebite bracket installed on my truck. of course the turbo was in the way so I had to move it. Seems like they made a nice piece.

I have just about .200 of clearance to the factory belt. And the back side has plenty of space for added material. I think a 3/4 plate is a reasonable option unless I run into a snag I haven't yet found. I documented the belt location incase it needs a "channel" to run through on a thicker plate.

The clearance around the ribbing of the factory accessory bracket is profiled into this snakebite bracket and will have to be tweaked to accommodate a thicker plate but that shouldn't be a concern as its not a structural spot of the bracket.

The next challenge is making the AC support bracket. The snakebite one is very generic and from the pictures that Gary sent along it does not work with the big blowers. I started modeling up one that will. I need to play with that design a bit to keep cost down.

I have 2 directions I could go from here. I could make a plate that is thicker with upgraded AC support brace and accommodates the rest of the snake bite kit (hardware, idler, spacers, ETC). but that would only benefit the guys that already own one. The other option is to keep on moving forward and continue redesigning the rest and try to make an entire "kit". I'm documenting as much as I can so I should have some flexibility at the end.

We have a little more driving season left so I don't want to take my truck any more apart just yet. once the snow flies i'd be more apt to disable my truck for a period of time and play around.

3B9ZKkLl.jpg

vPBZ4U2l.jpg

CsGyd97l.jpg

Well given the snake bite bracket was fairly limited in production, I would just make and design your own with a brace. Again if you make a beefy bracket that has a heavy duty auto tensioner I will buy no matter what. Even if I don't intent to run a blower right away. Especially if it's for a procharger pattern which I think is the best thing to do... Vortech and procharger are basically the only options for decent centrifugal. Old Paxton's etc are dinosaurs now.

Well given the snake bite bracket was fairly limited in production, I would just make and design your own with a brace. Again if you make a beefy bracket that has a heavy duty auto tensioner I will buy no matter what. Even if I don't intent to run a blower right away. Especially if it's for a procharger pattern which I think is the best thing to do... Vortech and procharger are basically the only options for decent centrifugal. Old Paxton's etc are dinosaurs now.

You go wash your mouth out!

Novi 2000 is life

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I have just about .200 of clearance to the factory belt. And the back side has plenty of space for added material. I think a 3/4 plate is a reasonable option unless I run into a snag I haven't yet found.

I’m just wondering if you make the bracket thicker on the backside what are you going to do about how that puts the blower out of alignment with the lower crank pulley?

I’m just wondering if you make the bracket thicker on the backside what are you going to do about how that puts the blower out of alignment with the lower crank pulley?
The plan is to machine a clearance pocket into the back the ~1/8" in so the mounting plane is the same as it is with the 1/2" plate. Deflection is amplified with distance so a small pocket on top should have very little/no negative effect of flex.

Does that make sense? Hard to explain thru text.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

yes, it makes sense. thinner portion of the aluminum mounting bracket pocket will be directly bolted to the s/c case flange resulting in an assembly interface that is quite rigid and has negligible deflection in that area.

So you will basically machine out 1/4” of material on the back side of the 3/4” thick material where the head unit bolts. I’m guessing you’re going to have to get some information of the size and shape of that area that needs to be machined out.

Or 1/2" steel.... Just saying. 3x stiffer than 1/2" aluminum. For us race only guys perhaps. Stationary idler at the bottom to keep away from water pump pulley and an auto tensioner by the blower... 1000+ HP potential.

Travis I’ll see if I can make a cardboard cut out of the blower mounting surface and send it to you if you can’t find the measurements somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Business has been busy so I haven't had much time for playing around with the design of these but today got the chance to atleast get a 3/4" one rough cut out. Need to decide on which direction I want the extra thickness to go. In. Out or both. I'll take my turbo off and try it out on my truck. 3/4" is certainly beefy compared to the 1/2" holding them in my hand.20220205_134754.jpg20220205_135711.jpg20220205_140638.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Back