Factory Big Brake Kit

Im working on it. The caliper and spindle needs trimming to fit inside the bolt pattern of the spindle. The holes are all on the same line.

So heres the bracket I came up with two shims to line up the caliper to the bracket. I had to mill the caliper and grind a little on the spindle to make it fit. Im wating on some brake lines from TCE for the final install.
big_front_brakes_0131.jpg

I just called a few of the large yards in the Kansas City area and no one has any vans and they couldnt locate any locally. Looks like I may just have to buy all new replacement parts instead......I'll keep looking a little more....Oh well.

A buddy of mine has a truck wrecking yard in Southern California and a guy in my Shelby club has one in Northern California and as soon as I get a little time I will contact them to see what they can come up with.

Roy

ok, so has anyone successfully gotten the 04 E150 setup on their truck?? as a guy whos building a "clone" ... i currently have 15 inch wheels, but was going to be stepping up sometime in the near future, will 16's clear, or do i need a 17 or larger wheel?? the vans usually came with 16"s, so i'd think this would clear ... and im heading out to my local favorite yard as soon as i hear of someone (anyone??) getting this setup on the street and driving ...

I have the set up on my 93 Lightning and I realy like the way brakes work. I need to keep cleaning the inside of my windshield to get my face print off the glass.

Ok as for the rear brakes, I ended up having to order the caliper brackets from the ford dealer, I tried calling boneyards but the only ones that would have that new of a van, also scrap brakes and anything attached to axle.

So, Msrp on the two brackets was 200 bucks! ouch!. but the parts guy was nice enough to give me a discount, which came out to 180 bucks ($78 a piece).

I'm going ahead with the swap. I just ordered the complete assemblies from the wrecking yard. It's costing $650 for everything. There is no such thing as cheap wrecking yard parts up here. Mind you, at the dealer, the spindles alone are $467 new and the caliper brackets are $284. Wrecking yard prices are cheap compared to the dealer.
Before I order the lower ball joint, I'll try the complete assembly just as it came off the van.
The only problem I see right now is my brake lines. There is a tee down on the frame, not at the hose end like the '92-up trucks. I can't find any st st lines for the '88, so I need either custom st st hoses or change everything from the master cylinder to the calipers. Maybe I'll upgrade the master cylinder as well since I have discs in the rear.
I will be sand blasting everything before reassembly, so I will do a full measuring of all the parts so Todd at TCE can compare them against his Wilwood setups.

im planning on collecting parts for this swap as i go to yards and the weather gets nicer ... im curious on whats the minimum size wheel i'll have to run to clear these setups ... im all for bigger wheels, but i dont want to get carried away and buy 22's when 17's will clear ...

My front is done and looks great, I also tried the e150 rear caliper bracket on the stock rear and it won't work. I re drilled the housing end to get the bracket on but the e150 axle shafts must be longer on the tube end side because the rotor hits the bracket before it seats on the axle flange. I have installed the e150 rear rotors and calipers on a custom bracket that I welded to the housing. I will post some pics soon.

modify the stock spindle to accept dual /4piston calipers to work with a smaller wheel.

i really want the larger mass of the bigger rotors, along with the better heat dissapation of the bigger rotors ... i like to go autocorssing from time to time. I want bigger wheels, but dont want to get excessive. I just want to make sure the 17's or 18's that i end up choosing will clear ...

I'm going to a pick and Pull tomorrow to look for an interior part for the Cobra. I should look for a 2004 ONLY, E150 van for the spindles, rotors, and calipers?

My front spindles, calipers and rear rotors and calipers, came from an 04 and they were new from ford also a side note,rotors must come from a 4 wheel abs vehicle, the front rotors of a non 4 wheel abs are smaller( I learned the hard way).

Back