February 2011 TOTM-Congratulations to Fred "Flats Man" Glenn! (NLOC#1636)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skritch

February 2011 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Fred (Flats Man) Glenn ! (NLOC #1636)

On the west coast of the sunshine state of Florida residing in the town of Indian Rocks Beach comes this month’s Truck of the Month. As can often be the case this truck is a “family affair”. Not what you would usually associate with that phrase of husband and wife but instead brother and brother with a son tossed in for good measure ! Fred’s brother Dennis got him interested in Gen 1’s. Dennis moved on to a Gen 2 being featured as the November 2006 TOTM. Meantime Fred found a 1994 Lightning and proceeded to “personalize it to his own tastes”. After awhile of owning the truck Fred decided to “change it up” a bit. Fred is a patient man, rather understanding too, as the “change” took over four years ! There is a link provided to a thread Fred started amply demonstrating his patience ! He was well rewarded !! Fred’s son Trevor was also infected with the Lightning virus after getting in the drivers seat of his Dads truck. Fred is now the owner of a very clean and potent Gen 1. So as not to tell Fred’s story in this intro take the time to have a good read while enjoying the pictures of this white hot Lightning ! Then join in the congratulations to Fred Glenn !

Fred (right) with son Trevor
5395453198_5c401f88f7_o.jpg

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

I have been interested in Gen 2 Lightnings since I first heard of it coming out in 1999. I really became interested in Gen 1's when my Brother, Sixpipes, first bought a little Red 1993 and started racing it. I especially started becoming a Gen 1 Fan when I saw that modded Gen 1's were more than holding their own against the Gen 2's at Lightning Fest. So, I started searching and bought my white ‘94 in the spring of 2003. It had a sweet little Powerdyne with aluminum heads and after a little tuning, it put out around 375 to the wheels! I was hooked! Lol

5394856573_0510bf557c_o.jpg

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

Well, I have had a lot of the great classics. Everything from E-type Roadsters and coupes to vettes. I was pretty much drawn to trucks because of the first vehicle I ever drove which was a 1946 Ford Flathead farm truck! It belonged to my Grandfather and I drove it on his farm ,out in the pasture and in the corn fields, when I was 10.

5394856369_fe4b0afbe1_o.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

Well this question will take a little while to answer so I apologize in advance! After attending Lightning Fest in 2004, I decided to take the truck apart and start modding it with the current mods. I donated the aluminum heads to Ronnie Millers Green and Black Gen 1 that he and Sixpipes where building in memory of his Son. Ronnie bought the powerdyne off my truck and put that on his project as well. This current build took me about 4 years of my spare time to complete and the truck still needs interior carpeting and some tunes. I had the 408 short block built in Denton, Texas and put some Fox Lake stage 111 heads on it along with a B-41 cam. I had the E4OD built at the same time. I then drove the truck from Dallas to Florida. I originally was going to put a 2.2 Kenne Bell on it but decided to change plans and go turbo. Fortunately I have a large hobby shop and some talented friends in the racing business that helped me in the areas that required welding and tuning. After the truck was finished and we finished the tuning process, I decided to install a set of drop beams that I had and of course that lead to new ball joints and brakes. It never ends! I should probably mention the fuel system. I removed the front tank and sumped the rear and installed a Weldon 2035 through a check valve to a "Y". Also plumbing into the "Y" is the stock fuel system with two pumps and a check valve. Both of these pumps are controlled by the tank selector switch. If it is my daily driver, I run off the two pumps by selecting the rear tank, if I want to race it, I just hit the front tank selector and the two pumps shut off and the big Weldon fires up! Same with the two stage boost controller. I have 7 lbs and 13 lbs selected with a toggle switch on the console. So I can go from awesome to insane by flipping two switches! Lol

5394856449_7b37d1b769_o.jpg

5394856685_bc0ee14942_o.jpg

5394856739_88a78147f9_o.jpg

5395453406_2126022e84_o.jpg

The trials and tribulations of Fred’s Turbo install. Used with permission from Doug Boss

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

After buying the White ‘94 and finding that it ran pretty strong, I made plans to attend my first Lightning Fest in 2004. I decided to make it a Father Son event and drive to Topeka with my Son, my Brother, and the Talon Club out of Texas. I think we had around 33 trucks that year in the convoy out of Dallas. 2004 was the year that we got hit with at least 4 hurricanes in Florida and the I-10 bridges were knocked out. I left Florida early and went north to Tifton GA and cut across to Dallas that way. On the way to Topeka, I informed my Son that he would be driving the Gen 1 in the races. That was a first for him! Lol. The truck was running very steady and my Son learned to cut a few lights and we made it to the final where our truck lost to a faster Gen 2. I drove this truck from Florida to Dallas to Topeka and back to Florida on the same tires that we raced on! An interesting side note is that the white Gen 2 that beat us in the final was driven by a Guy named Brent from Colorado. Brent also had a Beautiful Red and Black Gen 1 at Lightning Fest that year that was being raced by his Dad. We took pictures of that Gen 1 and never forgot that truck! It was a dream truck for both me and my Son. That truck came on the market the next year and we bought it and kept it in Dallas and again went to Lightning Fest in 2005 in that truck. But that is another story!*

Video of finals at Lightning Fest 2. Used with permission from Doug Boss
Finals at Lightning Fest 2

“That dream truck Fred speaks of” currently owned by Fred’s son Trevor
5394856767_b4a0105e13_o.jpg

5395453716_942e04b971_o.jpg

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

I am an active 67 year old with too many interests. I play a lot of "Old Man" league tennis in Florida and I enjoy fly fishing for Tarpon and other salt water species. I have two wonderful Grand Kids that really keep me going! I am very into the older street rods and currently have a 32 Roadster and a 23 T project that unfortunately has a Chevy motor in it. I have been retired from an airline career for 7 years and this is the best job I have ever had!

5394856421_58b754743f_o.jpg

5395453436_1331189db5_o.jpg

5394856481_dbd9dbbcbd_o.jpg

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

I first joined the NLOC in January of 2001 because I wanted to keep up with the rapid improvements to the Gen 2 Lightnings. About this time I was also interested in the performance of the Gen1's. NLOC is still the absolute authority on Gen 1 and Gen 2 Lightnings. Any thing that can be done, has been done!

5394856395_db07cf6bcf_o.jpg

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

Well, like everyone, I am resistant to any change but through the years I have always been able to find my way around the site and get the information that I am looking for. The most valuable part of NLOC.net are the people that hang out here! Congratulations on a great site!

5394856601_f01472e4f7_o.jpg

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

My user name comes from my love of fishing the shallow water flats here in Florida. Down here, fishing is just like hunting only we do it with Fly Rods. We try to spot the fish without being detected by them and watch the process of casting and the reaction and taking of the fly. If you see a pod of 150 lb Tarpon coming at you with a fly rod in your hand and your knees aren't shaking, then there is something wrong with you! Lol

5394856513_5a1b1d1628_o.jpg

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

Well, first of all, my truck scares me to death! It took me so long to build it that I don't think I will ever really race it at my age. I do plan to show it at car shows and drive it from time to time and maybe even make another Lightning Fest. I have a Gen 1 "Hot Rod Power Tour" on my bucket list!

5395453476_1dd759ab07_o.jpg

10. Whom would you like to thank for help\donations\support for putting the truck together?

Well, there are a bunch of folks to thank on this project! First, I would like to thank my Brother Sixpipes for getting me interested in Gen 1's. Next, I would like to thank Eric aka Pickup Man, for all his knowledge and help along the way. I would also like to thank Rob Wells of "Ford Speed" for the great tuning and the welding of all my pipes. Without these two Guys, I was over my head many times! Lol

Fred (left) with son Trevor
5394856307_97c76991c8_o.jpg

Congratulations to Fred and his 1994 White Ford Lightning for Truck of the Month, February 2011 !

Last edited:
Congrats Fred!! I've seen and been in this truck and I can tell you all first hand...This truck is Bad Azz!!

Grats on the TOTM honor! I bet it's great to finally get to enjoy the truck after all the trials and tribulations. :eek:ldtu:

Thanks Guys and Gals, I appreciate the interest in my truck. It was a very frustrating build but worth it in the end!

Great story... glad your truck was picked

Dad - Great job on the article and loved the memories of those great times being brought back. It was an amazing experience driving with all the trucks to Lightning Fest with the TALON group. Getting lucky that first time racing was a blast as well... One of the things that stands out is how helpful everyone was... even the people we were racing against since it was our first time at LF.

It is amazing what you have done with the truck since then... Now that this one is complete.... how about some TLC for mine. :)

Tobbun

Dad - Great job on the article and loved the memories of those great times being brought back. It was an amazing experience driving with all the trucks to Lightning Fest with the TALON group. Getting lucky that first time racing was a blast as well... One of the things that stands out is how helpful everyone was... even the people we were racing against since it was our first time at LF.

It is amazing what you have done with the truck since then... Now that this one is complete.... how about some TLC for mine. :)

Tobbun

Yo Trevor,
I have everything for your truck but the aluminum heads. Your truck will be in the 12's!! lol

Last edited:
Congrats Fred. You have a real fine Gen 1 Lightning. The experience of having a PT76gtsh pushing you down the road is nothing short of amazing.

Here is another one of Fred's toys when he isn't playing with his Lightning:

Fred1.JPG

Congrats Fred. You have a real fine Gen 1 Lightning. The experience of having a PT76gtsh pushing you down the road is nothing short of amazing.

Here is another one of Fred's toys when he isn't playing with his Lightning:

Fred1.JPG

Hey Steve,
That T-bucket is just a little project that me and Pickup Man are doing together. I wish it had a little 289 or a 5 liter in it but I am just trying to bring it back to the 1970,s where it belongs. It should be on the street before too long. Thanks for the Congrats!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back