Blown Motor Club

MikeyP60

Well it had to happen eventually, and it happened after Sal got done tuning it. 430 rwhp 541tq and A/F of 11.9. Tune was dead on. Took it out for the test drive and it threw a rod on the way back in. The up side is that it happened at the shop. Goung with a JDM short block, my heads are going to a local guy that does great head work. Not looking to build a monster truck. Somewhere between 475 and 500 at the wheels and reliable is what I'mm looking for. Sal figures about a month. It'll be ready to go to L Fest. Stuff Happens:sigh:

Wow, sorry to hear it Mikey, just the weak powdered rods I guess, huh?

I am sure your new motor will be a beast:eek:ldtu:

Aww **** brother! That sucks. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Well at least your getting a built block. :eek:ldtu:

Hopefully you'll be ready by the dead hookers event. If not I know magnum powered has been trying to find a spot for awhile, I'm sure he'd buy it off you.

If you need any extra hands to help with anything let me know.

Not going for a Beast. A tad more power. Having the heads done, stock cams, all good bottom end stuff. Sal says in the 475-500 rwhp range, which should put me in the high elevens. Torque was way good. HP was right the breaking point for the stock block. Stickin with the ported Eaton and JLP polished intake. Want a good reliable and semi-fast truck, and if that's in the 11 second range I'm fine with that. Might also switch from the Maggie Cat Back to a Bassani, depending on the cost of the rebuild. BTW it was the sorry a-- rods that went. Sticking through the side of the block Shaggy, I left Jeff a msg about the spot. I don't think it's going to be ready for BMP. Sal said by the time he orders and gets everything he needs, it'll be close to a month. Then theres that small break-in period.

Last edited:
Sorry man!!

Believe me, I think every L owner with a stock engine has given thought about going to the expense in replacing the rods with a better product.

But then again, what would be the next part to fail and at what HP.

^^^^^^^^

+1 :(

I use mine as a DD and it would definately mean a setback. Good Luck with the build Mike. I'm sure you will be pleased when it is done.

Thanks for all the encouragement. Look at it this way, if Ford had put good rods in there, there would be a lot of people with nothing to do. Stimulate the economy, build bigger and better. It's gonna happen, not if - but when. It was my time and I'm glad it went where it did and not racing somewhere or on the way to KC. The good thing is I've got another old F150 to keep me going while mines in the shop. Keep you posted.

Sorry to hear it Mikey......You will have more peace of mind once you have better rods in it. Good Luck and let me know if I can help in anyway.

Eric

Here's a pic of Mike's dyno graph, for those who were interested....

mikepdyno.jpg

BUST that BITES!

What the Hey, Mikey i know know your gonna miss her till she's back.Sorry about your s***Y luck,We all hope to catch up with you after the re-build.

Last edited:
Sal,

Do you usually tune a truck to an a/f of 11.8-12.0? In these Florida hot/humid summers I would think it would be a little close? <That's a question

Back