Turbo Tuning Question

lefeur

My Powerdyne finally went out so I'm building a turbo for my Gen 1. I'm pretty good with the Tweecer, and I have a wideband so I'm confident I could dial in the tune. My question is: Say I tune the fuel good for WOT. Then, while I'm driving, I go into WOT at say 300 or so TP counts but I don't give it full throttle (stay at 350 or so, whatever) and let it run thru the rpm. Won't I run really fat because the boost won't be as much as it would be at full throttle? I suppose it would've been the same with the dyne but I never paid any attention to it. So then my next thought was to purchase a Super FMU to be able to fix that. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Does this all make sense?

Be careful assuming boost won't be as much as full throttle. Depending on the combination boost could very easily as much as full throttle, as load may be the determining factor not rpm again depending on the combination. I am certain more boost will be available sooner with the turbo. No FMU. Larger injectors(fuel system) and good tune. I run a decent size throttle body and I can reach full boost well below 50% throttle.

That's why most guys don't run tweecers with turbos.

Blowers make boost proportionate with RPM. Much easier to tune then with the turbo.

Indeed. Even though most suggest not using an FMU with a blower, it wouldn't be a bad idea to run one with a turbo given it can produce boost numbers at much lower rpm's/load conditions etc. From what I have gathered it seems that having a rich A/F with a turbo doesn't bog it down much at all so if you had a it pretty rich you should still make plenty of power. I think you will be chasing your tail trying to dial in part throttle tuning with the tweecer and turbo. A 4:1 FMU with 60's would work pretty well i would think.

I would have to agree with Mike and Jamie on no FMU and turbo. I don't have any experience with a tweecer either but I can tell you from my own experience with the FAST and looking at datalogs, I would think an FMU would have a hard time dealing with the fueling of a turbo. The boost and fuel demands come on so fast. It's not really linear depending on how your driving. My experience with my own combo being a bigger cube motor and a smaller type turbo, I can be driving around normal around 1800-2000 rpm, stab it and by 26-2800 rpm be at 10-12 lbs. of boost. It's almost instant. I would also think that with an fmu if you were to make it that rich to compensate for WOT you would notice it, be constantly fouling plugs and be chugging smoke like a diesel.

Back