New member here I have rev limiter questions.

glendon88

Last year my father in law and I went through the motor and trans on my 94L. My issue is on hard acceleration (anything more than half throttle launch) it's hitting the Rev limiter before it shifts into second. Does adding an MSD6al override the factory rev limiter? The transmission was gone through by a local shop, upgraded converter and full rebuild. The motor we did maf and injector upgrade last year, I drove it like that to make sure everything was good before we pulled the engine and tranny and did everything inside. The factory heads were redone new valves and valve seats, trick flow springs seals and retainers, trick flow stage 1 cam, Ford performance retainer plate and roller lifters and scorpion 1.6 roller rockers. It runs great, good power, sounds awesome etc but when I try to take off quick the rev limiter sucks the fun out of it. Here's a vid of the first start after assembly. Thanks in advance for your help!

I know almost nothing here but am bored and this is interesting. Something says harness pins and tach signal to me. I read MAF conversion so assumed a lot. I don’t know the details but I’d double check that trans is getting RPM at WOT. Eyes glaze over looking at pinouts so not going there. Maybe that pin is diff or has an in-line resistor that gets overlooked. I feel like E4OD uses speed at part throttle normal driving since PSOM calibration can correct shift points? But at WOT RPM would make more sense. Maybe giving too much credit to the EEC though. Just my 2 cents. Mo’power mo’problems.

Going to have to tune it somehow by either lowering the shift point or raising the rev limit.

I'm putting that same top end on my heads, probably the same cam.

I have a Stinger ecu in the truck, though.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I would put an aftermarket ECU dump the MAF in trash. Put the SD back on and go with Holley, Stinger or DIY Megasquirt. This would give you a fresh start and a plethora of upgrade options. I know that spending more money is not what you wanted to hear, as it’s a huge investment, but so is your Lightning.

I know there are some guys out there that tune the MAF, if you can find them. The new stuff you can learn to tune online.

This thread may be informative for you.

Hopefully the guy comes back and responds... Before going down any path there's a lot of unknown questions here that need to be answered.

Back