Looking at Compressors

IR 2475N7.5-V is about same price. You lose the auto drain but I think that would be it as far as add-ons. IR premium package has auto drain, after cooler, and low oil cut off switch as well for about $300 more, but I don’t think that EMAX has an after cooler either if you’re comparing. 7.5 horse gets you more air flow if you needed it. 24acfm at 175psi for the IR.

I know when I worked at IR, the 2475 was very popular with jobbers. Easily the most popular one at trade shows. Probably because most output you could get without three phase electrical service.

I scored a single stage 5hp 60 gallon on the cheap when I worked at IR. Some deal where the plant would sell off customer returned units to employees. Supposedly was damaged but I couldn’t find a thing wrong with it. Love it, but wish I had asked for a two stage instead. I feel like compressors are probably like TVs...always look back and wish you’d had gone just a bit bigger or better.

I scored a single stage 5hp 60 gallon on the cheap when I worked at IR.
Love it, but wish I had asked for a two stage instead.

Honestly,.....a single stage will suffice for most home shops/garages,.....unless you're doing some crazy sanding with a D/A sander or some other tool that eats a lot of cubic feet of air.

FWIW,......
I bought a 5hp, 60 gallon Campbell Hausfeld Compressor from Lowes back in 1998,....and I'm still running it. BUT,....in all fairness,...I did have to replace the motor on it 3 yrs ago. Got it cheap online for less than 150 bucks shipped to my door.

Raymond, how much air do you need? What are you using it for?

We have this at work with an add on aftercooler but I think it’s overkill for you.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/203751639

That's the one I've been looking at. I like to sandblast and paint stuff every so often (like when I epoxy'd the front and rear frame on my truck) and that stuff needs some real CFM. I also have a 3 sided carport next to my garage that I will be turning in to a workshop (putting doors on it) soon so it will need air as well.

Raymond, how much air do you need? What are you using it for?

We have this at work with an add on aftercooler but I think it’s overkill for you.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/203751639

Raymond - this THD link from Jamie is the exact model I suggested (2475N7.5-V) for the similar price point of the EMAX that you were eyeing. I can't say that I've had a lot of hands-on use experience with it, but I do know a lot of shops like it and Jamie could obviously give some real world feedback.

As I mentioned, sold a ton of those and in particular at two-step jobber buying shows like ISN in Florida. The 2340 that Jamie also linked would save some $ at similar output but for some reason it seems the the 80gal versions available in that model line have lower CFM than the 60gal from that second link. The 2475 has the better pump vs 2340, IIRC, so even if you wanted to "step down" to a 5HP, I'd probably stick with the 2475 model line for IR. When I quickly searched, it seemed that the price difference for 5HP vs 7.5HP 2475 was negligible.

Tractor Supply has an "exclusive" 5HP two-stage IR model (TS4N5), but I believe that pump is sped up a bit to squeeze out more air flow. Probably not what you're looking for.

Honestly,.....a single stage will suffice for most home shops/garages,.....unless you're doing some crazy sanding with a D/A sander or some other tool that eats a lot of cubic feet of air.

FWIW,......
I bought a 5hp, 60 gallon Campbell Hausfeld Compressor from Lowes back in 1998,....and I'm still running it. BUT,....in all fairness,...I did have to replace the motor on it 3 yrs ago. Got it cheap online for less than 150 bucks shipped to my door.

Agree. At the time, I was thinking I would dabble more in blasting and painting, so it felt I was deciding between extremes....single stage that suffices for most home shops vs a packaged two-stage for cooler, drier air (and more efficient use of a refrigerated drier if I ever wanted to get that crazy with air treatment for blast or paint). I ended up having to kinda pester the product mgr to get with the plant to get me the one I got, so I didn't want to push my luck by pursuing a compressor that was around 2x the cost of the one I ended up with.

Thanks all for the feedback, and thank you Phillip for the extra info. I realize I am most likely buying too much compressor, but I am trying to buy something that will support my future needs. In addition my Wife is a big time weekend wood working project person so really the workshop is for her which is fine because it gets her ****e out of my way, but also means there will be some additional air demand. And like I mentioned I do like to sandblast and occasionally paint so that's really where the CFM requirement is coming from.

Where are you keeping the compressor? I have one from Home Depot that I put in my shed.... away from my garage and ran the air line under ground....

Compressor will be about 25' away. The 3 sided carport that I'll be converting has a 21.7'x5' storage room on the far side from the garage. I am going to place the compressor in there with an exhaust fan since it has a nice concrete pad. That will keep the compressor well away from the house and the "primary" garage.

Garage-Carport-Layout.JPG

Back