LightningFest 5 September 2007 questions

NLOC

BBM
I Support the NLOC
These are questions Nan and I need to decide within the next 2 weeks:

1. Should we have LightningFest 5?
  2. Should the event be 2 days instead of 3?
  3. If the event is 2 days, what days (Friday during the day and Saurday all day/night) or (Saturday day/night & Sunday during the day).
  4. Should we drop the Truck Show?
  5. Should we open the Diesel class to any diesel pickup/van or drop the class?
  6. What should we do about class sponsorship. We had 1 sponsor back out in July (PSI-Performance Solutions Inc), and one sponsor stiff us completely and not even return phone calls (ShowPro). We were also unable to find a Diesel class sponsor.
  7. Should we continue to try to have a Vendors Midway as only 2 SV's showed up (Riverside with parts and JLP who flew in and did free tuning).
  8. Should we just have trophies without payouts, or will that drop the truck numbers?

We have considered dropping the event because of waning interest, but since we did not lose money this year, we may try one more event. NOTE: We would NOT move the event from KCIR!

We will ONLY consider comments and suggestions from those that have made the effort and attended a previous LightningFest.

I 've been to l-fest in 2005 and had a blast but it is very far.....
most of the fastest L are on the east coast my be you would get a better turn out if you moved it closer.. I know "NOTE: We would NOT move the event from KCIR!'' BUT maybe that is your problem... JDM PSP JLP WMS AVT RWTD..... all these guys on the east coast ... I sure if the event was one the east coast they might have a interst.... Contact them And see if they would particapite if it was on the east coast... That's just my .02

Moving is not an option!

The majority of attendees are from the center of the USA/Canada and the West Coast. The most trucks are in TX and center states, not the east coast. For LF 2004 we had JDM, PSP, JLP, LFP, REM + others. It seems that the vendors are migrating to Mustangs as the Lightning is currently a dead product.

Also your comment that the "Fastest Lightnings" are on the east coast is a false assumption. The fastest Lightnings are in the center of the USA!

Dwight,
In my opinion I would leave it the same. It's a good 3 or 4 day weekend trip for those of us that travel a little farther:wave: , I would NOT however stay at anyplace in the city of Independence, MO:whistle:

1. YES
2. 3
3. see #2
4. no reason to, does it cost more$ ?
5. If you open to any diesel truck it may turn into any truck fest.
6. Get the $$ at time of sponsorship "commitment".
7. Optional, it seems to me that most don't come to this event to buy
8. Trophies would be good. I think for most this is a hobby and racing is for bragging rights and not an income maker.

the above answers are my personal opinion after attending 3 L Fests. 2 fly ins and 1 drive of almost 4k miles round trip.:3g:

#1 YES----------Should we have LightningFest 5?
#2 3 Day but only 2 days of racing Sunday just for the show maybe even off site. Got some ideas, I will call you-------------------Should the event be 2 days instead of 3?
#3 Keep it a 3 Day--------------------If the event is 2 days, what days (Friday during the day and Saurday all day/night) or (Saturday day/night & Sunday during the day).
#4 No just move it off site---------------Should we drop the Truck Show?
#5 Keep diesel class but have no cash payout and only 1st & 2nd place trophies.------------------------Should we open the Diesel class to any diesel pickup/van or drop the class?
#6 Collect money up front so they do not have a chance to back out and so there would not be any printed promotion. ------------------Performancece Solutions Inc), and one sponsor stiff us completely and not even return phone calls (ShowPro). We were also unable to find a Diesel class sponsor.
#7 Charge $50.00 for vender space might get some more with a cheaper price--------------------Should we continue to try to have a Vendors Midway as only 2 SV's showed up (Riverside with parts and JLP who flew in and did free tuning).
#8 I think numbers would drop---------------------------Should we just have trophies without payouts, or will that drop the truck numbers?

BigD said:

3. If the event is 2 days, what days (Friday during the day and Saurday all day/night) or (Saturday day/night & Sunday during the day).
  6. What should we do about class sponsorship. We had 1 sponsor back out in July (PSI-Performance Solutions Inc), and one sponsor stiff us completely and not even return phone calls (ShowPro). We were also unable to find a Diesel class sponsor.
  7. Should we continue to try to have a Vendors Midway as only 2 SV's showed up (Riverside with parts and JLP who flew in and did free tuning).
  8. Should we just have trophies without payouts, or will that drop the truck numbers?

We have considered dropping the event because of waning interest, but since we did not lose money this year, we may try one more event. NOTE: We would NOT move the event from KCIR!

We will ONLY consider comments and suggestions from those that have made the effort and attended a previous LightningFest.

1)definitely
2)I liked the 3 day, but I only made a handful of passes Sunday & the track was pretty dead at least until 2PM when I left.
3)either, prefer fri & sat.
4)no opinion, even if my truck was nice I would not participate.
5)Ford only, or drop it. Nothing against the diesel guys, but this is our event, I just don't want it to be over run with other trucks.
6) get the money committed at the time of sponsorship ( I sure this is easier said than done.)or raise the entry fee a bit & just have trophies.
7) I have never bought from a vendor at Lfest & haven't seen to many others do so. Most wallets are probably hurting from taking the time off to come & getting trucks ready for the event, & travel, hotel, & other expenses Lfest related.
8)no more payouts, I don't think anyone expects to go home with anything, but memories of a good time, maybe try to get the Pro class sponsored & have payouts for them.
9) No more window clings

My opinion is the date of the event. I have been to every LightningFest and it is what I look forward to each year, and the date is not a problem for me. But I know with the FFW in Texas and NMRA at BowlingGreen, FFW the week before and BowlingGreen the week after I know alot of Lightnings that go to these events and cant make it to all 3. One supporting vendor did tell me thats the reason they stopped coming. So that might be something to look at.
I know thats probably hard to do, and we want the good cool temps for running, but might look at the end of the month, or try earlier in the year.

Last edited:
This is my vacation every year.I also just came from NMRA in BG yesterday.We must have it again i look so forward to it.At all the other Ford events we're swept aside.As for Sunday maybe just have the show in the hotel parking lot if possible .As for vendors i saved quite a bit of money to spend on mods to put on and test at Lfest.Only to be let down by the vendors not showing w/parts or at all THANKS vendors.We do appreciate them sponsoring the classes but come on a face with a name on the other end of a phone goes a long way for business. Especially if someone breaks and needs parts.But thank you to the one's who showed up w/ parts.I will be there for Lest 5 like i have been every other year.To support this site and club it is worth it to me.Sorry rant.

Last edited:
BigD said:

YES
    That depends on the show. As far as racing at KCIR, yes, drop that down to 2 days.
    Fri/Sat
    Not if we can do it somewhere else that wouldn't cost money. I think we should also open it up to "Non-Show Competitive, Display Only Trucks". That way, previous winners who don't need to compete (Donald, Shawn . .) or guys like me who don't have show trucks but still look good can participate. I, for one, certainly don't mind somebody looking under the hood and asking me questions about what I've done, etc. Mine is just not a show truck, but I would like to participate. It would also be nice to see some of the race trucks showing.
    I say drop it, but that's easy for me to say, since I don't have one.
    ???
    Would it help to just let them come at no charge?
    The payouts are nice, but not necessary. That's not why we do it.

I'm going to amend that - take all the payouts from the street classes and put it all into Pro - those guys deserve it!

I know you have to decide now so that the dates can be locked in. But I really think we need another one to follow up on whatever magazine coverage we get from Primedia in a few months. Don't know if we'll be able to capitalize on it, but it's a possibility.

Justin 95L said:
I thought KCIR was closing after this season.

Justin, I don't know if that's true or not, but that's been a rumor every year for about the last 5 yrs, but every yr it comes back. Maybe somebody w/ closer ties to Jeff Martin, the owner, can answer that.

BigD said:

1) YES YES YES
2) I like the racing on Saturday, that gives people an extra day of travelling if they don't do the show thing. I was there for the show last year (when I could take advantage of "open" track Sunday) but this year I just went home.
3) See #2
4) I dont think dropping it would be good for all the people that put time and effort into making their truck show quality
5) I dont think opening it up would be good due to JRs reasoning... And a couple trophies doesnt cost a whole lot
6) If you sponsor the class they should pay at the time of sponsorship, When I sign up to attend, I prepay, why should they be different?
7) Does the Vendor midway interfere with anything? Would you gain anything by dropping it?
8) Although the payouts are very small (relative to the investment) I think any amount to help recover expenses is a bonus.

I think this year was definitely the smoothest run event, and if you drop it now, all the years/experience of the volunteers to help run are gone and shoved under the carpet. Every year it gets better, and if this year the event was in the black, there is no reason to drop it, IMO

Thanks again for all the hard work you put into this Project!

Frank (Been to every LFest!)

This was my first time to attend LFest, and I had a GREAT time. It would be a disappointment if my first time was also my last.

BigD said:
[*]Should we have LightningFest 5?

Yes.

[*]Should the event be 2 days instead of 3?

3 days. Two full days of racing and a show day. I don't know what the deal was with the Harley guys, but we coulda done without them Friday. That was a lot of test and tune time we could've used.

[*]Should we drop the Truck Show?

No. Not fair to the peolpe that bust their buts just to show their rides.

[*]Should we open the Diesel class to any diesel pickup/van or drop the class?

No, I'd say it's fine how it is. However, the grudge racing needs to STAY and be announced much sooner. That'd give us a chance to shop it around to all the other boards.

[*]What should we do about class sponsorship. We had 1 sponsor back out in July (PSI-Performance Solutions Inc), and one sponsor stiff us completely and not even return phone calls (ShowPro). We were also unable to find a Diesel class sponsor.

Pre pay. If they stiff you, drop them as a sponsor all together.

[*]Should we continue to try to have a Vendors Midway as only 2 SV's showed up (Riverside with parts and JLP who flew in and did free tuning).

I dunno. If they're already sponsoring a class, and sponsoring the site, I don't see a reason to charge them to sit on the midway. Personally, I probably wouldn't buy anything since my truck was race ready well before the event, but that doesn't mean others won't.

[*]Should we just have trophies without payouts, or will that drop the truck numbers?

Payouts are nice, but let's be real. What little payout there is really doesn't cover much, so I don't see them as that important. I come to BS with people and have a good time. Other's might want the payouts tho. I'd keep it.

Like Shawn says, Sunday have it off site so we dont get the track rental. Maybe have a pancake breakfast followed by a shownshine. Would be a nice conclusion to the event and allow people to talk about the weekend, say goodbyes before disembarking.
Remove the payout from the diesel class.
No Motorcycles, there were a few of those turkeys that drove through individual pits revving there engines and driving between waiting trucks in the staging lanes, a few inconsiderate b@stards.
I'd rather see it opened up to SVT vehicles in general to create a draw, rather than other pickups, keep it in the Ford family.

It looks like SV cooperation is waning, must be 3 valve mustangs.

Dont give up , but only you know if it is penciling out or not. If it is a looser then so be it, we cant make people come and if there isnt the interest to attend, Problem is if it is cut back to 2 days many of us long distance runners will not come anymore.

Dwight,

I Am Gonna Keep it Simple, As A 4 Time Attendee.

Since I Come To Commisserate And Show, Dropping The Show Would Leave Me With No Choice But To Build A Race Truck, And The Way I Spend Money I Would Most Likely DOUBLE The l Fest Budget! (Not Sure I Wanna Do It).

As For Our Sponsorship Issue, You Know, If The Club Wasn't So Hard Nosed With A Certain Member Who Sells More Harley SDs Than Any Other Dealer In The US, You Might Get Some Sponsorship From Him Or His Dealership.

And I have To Agree With The Previous Comments About Getting Sponsorship Money / Stuff Up Front!

Now, Get The List Goin So I Can Pay My Registration. And I Gotta Get To Work On How To Up My Cost To Get There For Next Year !!!

See You At L Fest West (Better Known As SEMA)

BigD said:

1. Should we have LightningFest 5? YES
  2. Should the event be 2 days instead of 3? NO
  3. If the event is 2 days, what days (Friday during the day and Saurday all day/night) or (Saturday day/night & Sunday during the day). SEE No. 2
  4. Should we drop the Truck Show? NO
  5. Should we open the Diesel class to any diesel pickup/van or drop the class? Either drop it or keep it FORD ONLY
  6. What should we do about class sponsorship. We had 1 sponsor back out in July (PSI-Performance Solutions Inc), and one sponsor stiff us completely and not even return phone calls (ShowPro). We were also unable to find a Diesel class sponsor. A continual problem, think about looking elsewhere for sponsors
  7. Should we continue to try to have a Vendors Midway as only 2 SV's showed up (Riverside with parts and JLP who flew in and did free tuning). Two is embarassingly low.
  8. Should we just have trophies without payouts, or will that drop the truck numbers? If sponsors can be obtained keep payouts, if not then trophys only.

The short answers to your questions. I'll write a "book" later on my thoughts to your questions.

Scott

YES------Should we have LightningFest 5?

THE 2 1/2 IS GOOD I THINK------Should the event be 2 days instead of 3?

FRIDAY AND SAT.-------If the event is 2 days, what days (Friday during the day and Saurday all day/night) or (Saturday day/night & Sunday during the day).

LIMIT THE SHOW TROPHIES TO ONE PER CLASS AND LIMIT THE CLASSES------ Should we drop the Truck Show?

YES------Should we open the Diesel class to any diesel pickup/van or drop the class?

IF NO SPONSOR, GIVE A TROPHY------What should we do about class sponsorship. We had 1 sponsor back out in July (PSI-Performance Solutions Inc), and one sponsor stiff us completely and not even return phone calls (ShowPro). We were also unable to find a Diesel class sponsor.

I DON'T KNOW THE COST, BUT LOWER THE PRICE TO APPEAL MORE TO COME-------------Should we continue to try to have a Vendors Midway as only 2 SV's showed up (Riverside with parts and JLP who flew in and did free tuning).

SHOULD KEEP PAYOUTS AS LONG AS THERE IS A SPONSOR-----Should we just have trophies without payouts, or will that drop the truck numbers?

ANOTHER SUGGESTION....INVITE OTHER SVT VEHICLES AS SVTOA REALLY DOESN'T DO MUCH WITH DRAGRACING

BigD said:

Should we have LightningFest 5? YES
Should the event be 2 days instead of 3? 3 DAYS AND HAVE THE LAST DAY BE OPEN TRACK
Should we drop the Truck Show? NO THAT WOULD EXCLUDE PEOPLE THAT SHOW AND DON'T RACE AND YOU NEED THE ATTENDANCE NUMBERS JUST LIMIT TROPHEYS AND CLASSES
Should we open the Diesel class to any diesel pickup/van or drop the class?JUST KEEP IT IN THE FORD FAMILY
What should we do about class sponsorship. HAVE THEM PAY IN ADVANCE LIKE WE DO TO ATTEND We were also unable to find a Diesel class sponsor JUST OFFER A TROPHEY FOR THAT
Should we continue to try to have a Vendors Midway as only 2 SV's showed up. YES I WOULD STILL HAVE THEM MANY OF OUR GROUP PURCHASED ITEMS MAYBE JUST LOWER THE COST FOR THEM TO ATTEND
Should we just have trophies without payouts, or will that drop the truck numbers? IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING IN THE RED I WOULD KEEP SMALL PAYOUTS

This was my first year going and I would hate for it to be the last. I thought that the event was very well run and the people that did attend were all great and well behaved, except at 2:00 in the morning in the hallways LOL.

Back