Its time to go Turbo!

Well its in my truck which is at the shop. Its about a 100 mile round trip but I could possibly go late next week?

Would like to add my thoughts. I was maxing out a Novi 2000 and was consistently running into issues with throwing belts. Alignment wasn't an issue as I would use a long level to make sure. The problem is the amount of side load on the "powerdyne style" bracket. It likes to flex alot under load. My immediate opinion is to make the bracket out of 3/4" plate instead of 1/2". The little A/C helper bracket in my opinion does very little. I made one for my blower and it didn't do much. I had to make a halo bracket that went around my blower and then used a turnbuckle that bolted to my intake. I was able to adjust alignment like that once I had belt stupid tight... And that is the problem too. We really need a super duty auto tensioner.. without one I think we are chasing our tails. Stationary tensioners are garbage if trying to spin blower to it's max. if I was doing it all over with max performance in mind I would first use 3/4" plate. Then drill the pattern for a procharger so I can use larger diameter pullies due to the steeper internal gearing. After that a auto tensioning system would be an absolute must. And for racing only I would round it off with griptec pullies. These are just my opinions after trying to spin a NOVI to the moon lol.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Would like to add my thoughts. I was maxing out a Novi 2000 and was consistently running into issues with throwing belts. Alignment wasn't an issue as I would use a long level to make sure. The problem is the amount of side load on the "powerdyne style" bracket. It likes to flex alot under load. My immediate opinion is to make the bracket out of 3/4" plate instead of 1/2". The little A/C helper bracket in my opinion does very little. I made one for my blower and it didn't do much. I had to make a halo bracket that went around my blower and then used a turnbuckle that bolted to my intake. I was able to adjust alignment like that once I had belt stupid tight... And that is the problem too. We really need a super duty auto tensioner.. without one I think we are chasing our tails. Stationary tensioners are garbage if trying to spin blower to it's max. if I was doing it all over with max performance in mind I would first use 3/4" plate. Then drill the pattern for a procharger so I can use larger diameter pullies due to the steeper internal gearing. After that a auto tensioning system would be an absolute must. And for racing only I would round it off with griptec pullies. These are just my opinions after trying to spin a NOVI to the moon lol.

This is all great information for somebody that has pushed one hard. I know the mod motor guys with the roots blowers run like a 3v tensioner which is an upgrade over the 2v and 4v stuff. They also run a pull super close to the blower pulley to add a ton a belt wrap. An Eaton with a 2.76 upper ends up having like 80% belt wrap. I see no reason why we can't do something similar with a centrifugal.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'm going to start a separate thread to keep it off my build thread.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Which realistically belts are supposed to just be used for holding pants up anyways :)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Which realistically belts are supposed to just be used for holding pants up anyways :)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Well I have yet to throw a belt with the turbo lol. But honestly if I went to a built motor I would consider a big procharger.

I have an acrylic pattern that Keith Blackburn loaned to me for a Novi when I was going to try to use my X-Carve to make a bracket. If Keith doesn't mind I can send it to you to copy, I had been trying to transfer it to a CAD drawing, but I am a noob at Solidworks and it is taking me forever :)
Fusion 360 is easier and there are a ton of free videos on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Fusion 360 is easier and there are a ton of free videos on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I've used it, but my subscription expired and they want a TON of money to renew! I found that with a membership to EAA (eaa.org) you can get Solidworks for cheap!

I've used it, but my subscription expired and they want a TON of money to renew! I found that with a membership to EAA (eaa.org) you can get Solidworks for cheap!

I will gladly model it up for you if you can get the green light to send it. I have a fusion 360 subscription at home and a solidworks one at work.

Been quite a while since I updated anything with this so figured today was a good day. Truck has been good and getting a lot of street time. It has successfully made 2 separate 800 miles trips in the last year. Last fall made the drive from northern CT to Spookfest in Maryland and this summer made the trip from Northern CT to Carlisle PA. Other than its loud it is a very nice cruiser. Even with the road race 5th gear ratio, managed 17.5MPGs.

Recently added drop beams after talking about it for years and very happy with it. Front is beams with modified perches for a little extra. Rear is shackles and hangers and slapper removed. I actually modded the hanger to move the spring up an extra 1.25" (photo below) so I'm unsure how much total drop I have. I want a little more in the rear but I need to notch the frame to go any further.

I added 255/60 toyos to the front and chrome center caps all around.

With the intake flipped around I never ran the lightning plaque so I decided to make my own. Nice little touch for the bay.

X2M9xDEl.jpg

NdiRkixl.jpg

BDwzz3Yl.jpg

fgFREOsl.jpg

gFIZceAl.jpg

Ot0ZjaNl.jpg

wfagDhul.jpg

7c0tTBpl.jpg

last year when I was down at spookfest my AC compressor decided to lock up. Been almost a year but decided it was time to fix that. Not sure it was worth the extra effort/money but I sourced a motorcraft AC compressor. I don't use the AC much but if nothing else it is a nice aesthetic touch to the engine bay over that 27 year old factory one.

xDRKGIjl.jpg

CRHSDIXl.jpg

BUru7V0l.jpg

Very nice, after this summer of being held captive by the heat A/C is def on my list!

Oh yea, got to have it here in south Ga. Temps are a little cooler than yours in Texas but high 90’s with heat index of 115 is plenty hot enough to warrant AC and makes it totally unenjoyable to ride in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in CT and we had 2-3 weeks straight in the 90s with heat indexes over 100-105 so I can't imagine you guys in the south.

Yep I refuse to not have AC. That's why even when I got twin turbo they will be under the truck. Losing AC for me is not an option.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

We usually have a nicer (mild) summer climate up here but July and early august are still always hot. and anytime in the summer can easily get into the 90s. I don't usually choose to take my fun stuff out when its that hot for a random joy ride because it seems mean but if I'm caught out from an event or something AC would be a nice option to have.

Back