Getting the Red/Black 93 Back on the Road?

i'm not an attorney. this particular guy got his car back in many pieces, but lost the money he had paid for work that was not completed. owner of shop was robbing peter to pay paul. take your trailer with you when you go to the shop to check out the situation.

Had a friend who came very close to loosing a 67 chevy. That was a paint shop that closed and when he drove by nothing was there. He had to go to court to get his truck back. Don't trust shady wishy washy people.

Well, I didn't take everyones advice, but it ended up working out. And, it's home and running! There are some bugs to work out still, but I can drive it. It went on its maiden voyage tonight, 15 miles in town and it did great! Temp held steady at 165*, never stalled or even bucked, and throttle response is good.

I need to get it in to have the A/C checked, put the front air dam back on, and get it to PDR to have a couple of dings (which may have been there) taken care of, going to order a new head unit/rear speakers and small powered sub.

Oh, and she is dirty. He said he doesn't like to wash customer cars so he doesn't scratch them. Fair enough. But he said he rinsed it off and let it dry. Would've rather have just left as it was, but I guess there was some effort. This weekend my plan is to clean and detail the truck and put some miles on it!

The main issue I'm going to ask for advice on right away is the belt slips/squeals. Anything over about 5-10% throttle and there's a constant squeal, it seems to be load and RPM dependant. It is there even when in park without load when revved, so I'm pretty sure it's the belt.

Congratulations on getting it back

Either belt is to long
Or tensioner is bad

Provided it's oem stuff Still. Be easy fix either way

They just put fresh oil in it. I figure 500 miles, or end of the season I'll change it again.

I need to figure out this squeal! I hope it's not one of the accessories, and not the belt. The truck has sat for a long time. If I can get that sorted, and find an old computer that can run the software for the Baumanator (original Quick4) and try to soften up the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, they are banging now.

Do you have the air pump still in the belt routing. The bearings freeze up in them from sitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have the air pump still in the belt routing. The bearings freeze up in them from sitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have JamieV's old brackets and idler pulley. I pulled the belt and it and some of the surfaces kind of felt sticky. I don't know if they used some kind od dressing to band-aid it? He told me he put a new Gates belt on, I don't see any markings on the belt for length. Wierdly the idler pulley, alt and A/C compressor were all just a tiny bit loose. The tensioner can be pulled up with a regular 3/8 ratchet without excess effort.

But I got to spend some time cleaning up a little wiring, rerouting the plug wires and cleaning up the bay.

Hallelujah!!!! And she sounds fantastic!!
Thank you sir!

If the shop was “tuning” while troubleshooting it’s liable to have fuel in the oil from running rich etc.
Nope no tuning. Youd think being around "detroit" there'd be more tuners, but Ive only found one person who will still touch the EEC-4.

So, this wouldn't be my truck without some bad luck. First, it had the squeal. I found the A/C compressor, idler pulley and 2 alternator bolts were slightly loose, I tightened them and squeal seems to be gone. Next, yesterday I was checking the pullies and wanted to check the timing to be sure. The truck was idling in the driveway for a while, it was hot, but the fan kicked on temps stayed around 170*. But when I shut it off it would not start again. Tried again a few more times over the afternoon but it'd just crank, had good fuel pressure, and battery is charged.

tonight I rechecked all the connectors, none seemed loose though, but the truck started right up and idled fine. TFI module? I drove around for about 15 miles and the truck actually ran pretty well, I think the base idle is a little low so Ill probably have to tweak it. Now, the e-fan isn't working. By the time I got home and got in the garage it had just hit 210* and started to overheat in the garage. It hit that point just as I was shutting it down so I don't think I did any damage. But, also didn't get to check hot restart.

But on a positive note, she still cleans up nicely. These are a few preliminary pics after 2.5 days of cleaning, laying, buffing, polishing, sealing, etc.IMG_3407.jpg
index.php
IMG_3426.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3408.jpg
    IMG_3408.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 42
210 degrees isn't overheating. In a 15 lb system with 50/50 in it, you start to worry about 240 degrees. With the AC on, good water pump, stock radiator, newish fan clutch, 185 deg thermostat, etc, my white truck will sit pretty steadily at 205-206 degrees idling in traffic.

I have such mixed feelings about the e-fans. I like the way the clean up the engine compartment, but I've always had reliability issues with them.

I'd think the PIP sensor in the distributor is more likely than the TFI module. What size injectors are in it? One of the things I found I had to tune on mine when it was mass air was the startup pulsewidths when I started increasing the injector size. The mass air meter curve doesn't impact the cranking pulsewidths.

It looks absolutely fantastic!

Back