front routed x-over turbo kit?

rudder9

Just thinking ahead here. I have a new Dart Iron eagle motor being built and I need to put a real oil pan on it. My turbo kit now has the behind the pan x-over, which you have to use a stock oil pan. Does or has anybody done or have a front single turbo front x-over in a truck with the stock frame rails and engine cradle?

Whats the deal with the Jeff Johnson pan guys? Not looking at one or even ever heard of them just curious.

inside of his pans, he uses large ball bearings (1.5") inside of tubes about 3" long, for baffles instead of "flaps" or "doors". so under hard braking, the oil remains in the back of the pan and doesnt run your pump dry. looks good on paper. except the balls get seized in the tubes and doesnt allow oil back to the pump. when the motor went on me, i dropped the pan and 4 out of 5 balls were seized in the tube. i had to take a hammer and punch to get them free. we cut out the entire ball bearing flaps and theres 1 that is still seized. horrible design !!!!

Thanks Mike. I'll give you a shout. My problem is that the rear x-over isn't going to fit around any pan that fits my Iron Eagle block. I may be better off doing a whole new hot side.

Greg, you and mike could come over and try to see if you could get it to work on my chassis. I have the same pan and no body in the way.

I have a front cross over and Moroso oil pan. I can shoot you some pics Gregg. My front end and engine mounting is all stock.

Greg, you and mike could come over and try to see if you could get it to work on my chassis. I have the same pan and no body in the way.

Thanks Jamie. Not sure when I'm going to get into this though. I have some other things going on right now and the new kit is not a huge rush. If your still at the cab point when the time comes I'll come over.
Nice kit Paul. Never really looked at it at the track.

I have a front cross over and Moroso oil pan. I can shoot you some pics Gregg. My front end and engine mounting is all stock.

Looks nice but there is allot of other parts to make that kit work. If I were to move any accessory I would get rid of the A/C and get the power steering relocation kit from Procharger, move the P/S below the alternator (gets rid of the air pump also) and mount the turbo off of the drivers head. Up sweep headers look like changing the plugs would be challenging if one still had most of the stock components under the hood.

These are all reasons why I don't run a turbo on my latest truck. The only way I would go turbo is if I had a set of custom stainless headers made right on the truck and that's just too much money with all the other parts for me to jump.

My last custom set of headers I had Kooks make on my lightning cost $3,200 and I provided the merge collectors.

If I had a mandrel tubing bender I might. But if you price out all the stainless tubing and bends you will have tons of money in them.

Back