Fed up !

turbolou

I'm tired of waiting for Ford to release another version of the lightning. I have had my L since 04 it's my third one & sick of looking at it. I wrote Ford the other day asking if they had any plans of building a standard cab short bed & using the ecoboost platform. It was like talking to a wall. I don't want a gas guzzling 4X4 raptor. To my way of thinking Ford would indeed have a winner if they built a sport truck with an ecoboost. I'm ready to go buy a chevy !

i'm tired of waiting for ford to release another version of the lightning. I have had my l since 04 it's my third one & sick of looking at it. I wrote ford the other day asking if they had any plans of building a standard cab short bed & using the ecoboost platform. It was like talking to a wall. I don't want a gas guzzling 4x4 raptor. To my way of thinking ford would indeed have a winner if they built a sport truck with an ecoboost. I'm ready to go buy a chevy !

x2

Go buy a chevy then.........

OH wait they dont have a true performance sport truck either....

Well you could always get a DODGE...

Wait a minute they discontinued the SRT due to it stellar sales performance....

Maybe TOYOTA has something!!!!!

ecoboost

I dont think we are asking for a performance truck. Just askin for a reg cap short box ecoboost. What good reason does ford have for putting it in long bed reg cab but not a short bed. I personally will never ever own a chevy or dodge and damn sure will never own a toyota. A reg cab short box ecoboost truck would be a usefull and marketable truck for work and performance as well. Dodge is seelling reg cab short box hemi truck like wildfire. Let it be known i am not sayin i am gonna buy one just sayin there is a market for it..

We are actually looking into getting an F150 Ecoboost ext cab with short box as soon as my wifes Mustang sells and also her good ol 95 F150.
Truck ran well and the ext cab with short bed is the same as the ext cab 95 F150 she has as far as length. As for performance the poor lil ol 302 in the 95 is weak sauce compared to the ecoboost Heck I think it pulled better than the 94L.

As for another L from SVT it has been stated by the SVT team there are "No Plans" for another run of trucks. They say the ROI is too small. IE no market in the eyes of the corporate bean counters.

We are actually looking into getting an F150 Ecoboost ext cab with short box as soon as my wifes Mustang sells and also her good ol 95 F150.
Truck ran well and the ext cab with short bed is the same as the ext cab 95 F150 she has as far as length. As for performance the poor lil ol 302 in the 95 is weak sauce compared to the ecoboost Heck I think it pulled better than the 94L.

As for another L from SVT it has been stated by the SVT team there are "No Plans" for another run of trucks. They say the ROI is too small. IE no market in the eyes of the corporate bean counters.

I also agree, especially in this economy, that Ford's bean counters are right.How many 50,000 dollar plus trucks are they going to sell?I also agree that it would be a nice option to buy an ecoboost reg cab short bed.That platform would suit 2 categories.One the fleet/work group. Second, the performance market.Livernois motorsports is doing work on a Taurus SHO and have got it in the 11's so far.They are being held back by the computer right nowThat Taurus is also not so light.So, the truck would probably scoot pretty well also.Dodge is definitely grabbing up sales with that r/t version that they offer.Maybe ford will take notice....I guess the corporate eyes haven't seen how many R/T's are being sold.You can't even find one around us for 100 miles.

I've driven the EB in a loaded FX4 SCrew and the 5.0L in a SCab. Unless you need a max tow package, most of the 2WD 5.0L owners are getting the same if not better mileage than the EB. I average 18.9 mpg in combined driving and 20.1 mpg on the highway. Something about boost requiring fuel, I guess? :)

JMHO, James

Yeah I hear ya I want the 5.0 but SHE wants the ecoboost,and it will be HER truck so I am kinda SOL.

Ya know that whole keeping the wife happy thing...

This is from '08, but now is the perfect time to bring back the Lightning with an Ecoboost motor with upgraded turbo. Hell, even a twin turbo Hennesey Lightning!!!

I also agree, especially in this economy, that Ford's bean counters are right.How many 50,000 dollar plus trucks are they going to sell?

Thats what I thought too, but im seeing A LOT more raptors on the street than i thought i would when they first came out.

This is from '08, but now is the perfect time to bring back the Lightning with an Ecoboost motor with upgraded turbo. Hell, even a twin turbo Hennesey Lightning!!!

NO!!!!! No Hennesey (Henascrewedu) involvement. IF there is to be a 3 gen and he has his hands on it. It's a safe bet it will be a POS and not worth a dime.

I guess I agree and disagree about the economy and truck prices. Has anyone prices an f150 king ranch, harley, or Platinum, God forbid a Raptor? These trucks are not cheap. It seems that ford could produce a SVT 3rd gen Lightning and still have competitive sales in this economy. A single cab slamed down f150 with a 6.2 whippled engine would still be in that $50-60K range and sell just as many as the raptor wouldn't it? Im still scratching my head about ecoboost, its cool idea and all but really? if i wanted a turbo v6 I would go but an Audi or something.

A friend once told me, "real men ride around in V8s." ;k

I don't understand....the 2nd gen Lightning is still pretty quick and all things considered, relatively cheap to get big power. Yet, you're all willing to pay 50...maybe 60k for a 3rd gen that might be a little bit faster (considering how much heavier the current F150's are, and if you stick a huge engine like a 6.2 in there, even more so)? Why not take some of that change and just pimp the crap out of the Lightning?

^^^^ I think hes tired of looking at the same design of the truck. Its nice to have something different after a while.

I don't understand....the 2nd gen Lightning is still pretty quick and all things considered, relatively cheap to get big power. Yet, you're all willing to pay 50...maybe 60k for a 3rd gen that might be a little bit faster (considering how much heavier the current F150's are, and if you stick a huge engine like a 6.2 in there, even more so)? Why not take some of that change and just pimp the crap out of the Lightning?

Well here's why. Our trucks are at the age where parts are and have been discontinued. It's getting hard to find some parts, not real hard but none the less some are becoming hard. I love my 03, but if a Gen 3 was made it would be gone in a hart beat. Mainly due to the thought of a warranty and not having to worry about any big repair bills for a while. Plus the improved gas mileage these newer motors are getting. It would be nice to ride around getting the same in town as we are lucky to get on the highway. Also having a system able to deal with E85 and mixed fuels better.

I have said it before....Ford will not build the Lightning as long as the Raptor sells, and when the Raptor stops selling Ford will assume that the sport truck market is dead. I just don't see it happening, look back in history the Shelby Mustangs of the late 60s, Ford kept making them heavier, putting more **** on them as sales were declining. Let's look at the Mustang II (need I say more?), OK lets look at the fox platform mustangs (1979-1993), the consumer market begged, screamed, and prayed for Ford to put a 351 in one and Ford was deaf, that platform was replaced by a gutless mod motor (sorry but it was in stock form); they tried to kill off the Fox platform earlier that that and replace it with the PROBE--morons. "Let's replace our performance icon with a vehicle that brings to mind alien abduction and forced rectal data gathering." I hope the group of people that came up with that idea were surgicaly sterilized.

Now they are hot and heavy pimping ol' Carrol's name and asking north of $62K for a damn Mustang, REALLY?!!

One would think that most of the decision makers at Ford don't give a rat's pink *** about performance (read as speed, power, handling, and making it available to the average consumer); it seems that they are all consumed with making cars run off of wind or bird **** or somethin' equally as cheap and abundant, and keeping the planet green. Hey environmentalist, anything you intorduce into an ecosystem has negative effects!! OH, wait who pays YOU, who funds your research--can't bite the hand that feeds now can you (we)?

Hell, the planet hadn't been green since someone discovered fire, and add about 20 bajillion people to that over the span of a few thousand years and explain to me how FORCING me to run all of my internal combustion engines off of a blend of dino fuel and corn juice, which by the way screws up the fuel delivery system on ANYTHING that it is used in, is saving the planet?

I digress....sorry. I just don't see a GenIII Lighting, I wanted one too, but when I totaled my GEN I back in '09, I waited as long as I could and my Sonic '03 was just too good of a deal to pass on. It looks great, runs great, makes 500hp, plasters a smile on my face daily and it makes a great noise....

I'm guessing you guys havent seen the 5.0 rcsb 2wd trucks JLP has been working on??? I'll take one of those over a 99-04 lightning ANYDAY! Just in case you havent seem them how does 7.30's and 11.50's sound with just a blower,tune,and exhaust at nearly 5000lbs???

Last edited:
I'm guessing you guys havent seen the 5.0 rcsb 2wd trucks JLP has been working on??? I'll take one of those over a 99-04 lightning ANYDAY! Just in case you havent seem them how does 7.30's and 11.50's sound with just a blower,tune,and exhaust at nearly 5000lbs???

Sounds cool, I haven't seen it yet, but it's not a warrantied production vehicle... and probably more money and trouble than what any of us would want to spend on a vehicle. The beauty of the L was that you could walk in to a dealer and get a new performance vehicle that was ready to run. I am not knocking JLP, but that idea is like dropping any larger motor into a Gen II or current platform F-150. Just not worth the hassle, especially for daily driving purposes, which is what I used my L for... mods and all.

I have pretty much lost all hope on a Gen III ever being produced myself. My L was totaled in late 09, and I was hoping for a new one to be released by now. However, with no real traction since Ford changed body styles and dumping money into the Raptor it seems like this will never occur. Especially since none of the other companies have released a new sport truck. If Dodge and Chevy developed a new sport truck, Ford may get off their *** and follow suit to cash in. No intent of a Gen III is really the reason I jumped ship to old school muscle and picked up a 1969 Dodge Charger. I miss my truck :sigh:, but Ford has missed the mark in this market.

Last edited:
Not worth the hassle??? Are you serious?A stock truck,slap on a blower and tune it,then go kill some gen2's.....Not to mention a bottom end that can handle more than 450hp and still get better fuel mileage.

Sounds cool, I haven't seen it yet, but it's not a warrantied production vehicle... and probably more money and trouble than what any of us would want to spend on a vehicle. The beauty of the L was that you could walk in to a dealer and get a new performance vehicle that was ready to run. I am not knocking JLP, but that idea is like dropping any larger motor into a Gen II or current platform F-150. Just not worth the hassle, especially for daily driving purposes, which is what I used my L for... mods and all.

I have pretty much lost all hope on a Gen III ever being produced myself. My L was totaled in late 09, and I was hoping for a new one to be released by now. However, with no real traction since Ford changed body styles and dumping money into the Raptor it seems like this will never occur. Especially since none of the other companies have released a new sport truck. If Dodge and Chevy developed a new sport truck, Ford may get off their *** and follow suit to cash in. No intent of a Gen III is really the reason I jumped ship to old school muscle and picked up a 1969 Dodge Charger. I miss my truck :sigh:, but Ford has missed the mark in this market.

You can pick up a 2012 STX F150 with the 5.0 for under 30k and another 6k in mods and your not only busting 11's your running faster then any stock L for the same price as our L's sold brand new for. Plus the motor will handle more then our 450hp rods.

Back