Cleaning your engine 101?

T

thepawn

Hey Rob,

I've bought myself a bottle of Simple Green engine cleaner, but I have no idea where/how to start.

What parts of the engine should I cover in plastic so as not to get cleaner and water on then...after I hose it once, then put the cleaner on and rub around, then do I just hose the whole thing off again and dry?

smile.gif
Help!

Daniel

Daniel,

I never use any degreasers in the engine bay because I learned a long time ago that they can tarnish certain metals. What I do is I take my truck to the local coin-op wash and set the spray on the low pressure setting. It's like a Final Rinse or something than I just shoot everything very quickly take it home and dry it with compressed air. You have to be the most careful around the coil packs since they are prone to collecting water and other debris. If you have heavy dirt/oil buildup use the Simple Green on a rag and clean the stuff by hand. Hope that helps.

i have always cleaned my engine since i've had my truck (8 years now) about once a month. simple green is a good choice, i go to the car wash, spray it down real good and use the rinse to take it off. go water in the rotor cap just once, never any problems.

I also use the simple green on engines. But my 93 never gets that dirty, so usualy a quick blast with the high pressure and Im good to go.

------------------
Chuck P
1993#3951 (24k miles, mod'ed and lots of custom parts)
NLOC#138
NLOC Michigan area Regional Representative
MiLOC#10
0138_1_t.jpg

00 Focus ZX3
99 GT conv
91 GT (race/show car- in hibernation)

I use simple green, just make sure you delute it with enough water. Do not use it full strength or it can tarnish some metals.
I use my garden hose to rinse it off then blow dry it.I have not had any problems. I do not need a high pressure washer because it is not allowed to get dirty enough only a little dust.
George S. NLOC #542

So it's cool to spray the motor with water? That scares me a little...

What's the best approach for an engine bay with a year's worth of dirt buildup? I've never had the gonads to spray the motor with water before. It looks pretty poopy under there...

------------------

2000 Black Lightning

For one Gen1 guys, don't hose down the cruise servo or you'll be posting in the part section looking for another. It's the thing on the drivers side fender that has a cable going to the intake. Had a friend hose down his engine bay and after that no more cruise. Better save than sorry. Later

------------------
95 White Lightning #18
90 Mustang GT (gets the left over L parts)
NLOC# 709

I've always watched spraying any boxes with wires going to them and also the alternator.

------------------
2001 White Lightning
#2539 of 6381
The REAL Mayor of Truckville

Another thing about degreasers that I heard is that they not only tarnish metals but they degrease some parts like the alternator internals that are greased for a reason.

------------------
2000 Silver L- SS Killer
13.77@100.58mph - 100% STOCK
1999 Civic Ex- Ego Killer

"how much can you really know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?" Tyler Durden

Back